Wiping blood on the face of a new hunter

So I logged in and on the home page is a picture of a young girl with blood purposely wiped on her face.

I'm aware of folks who talk of this type stuff. Some sort of ritual for new hunters or fisherman. I have a goofy friend who tries stuff like that, trying to have the new tuna fisherman take a bite of a beating tuna heart, ect... But he's the only one I've known, and is more than likely just parroting something he saw on reality TV.
I grew up in the NW hunting my whole life, around hunters and fisherman my whole life. Around Native Alaskan's and Native Americans (same I guess) and other than the odd suggestion from folks I know to be over the top prankster type people I've never experienced the "blood makeup" thing.

Is it a regional thing, from certain tribes, or?

Is there an issue with saying a prayer to give thanks for a successful harvest? Some folks may not mind but others will rage because the concept of a prayer let alone being happy that you just murdered an innocent animal.

Is there an issue with putting a last "bite" in the mouth of the animal just killed? While it could be construed as being respectful, you are damaging a live plant and also potentially denying another animal the ability to get a meal.

Is there an issue with taking a celebratory drink (adult beverage of choice) for a successful hunt? While some may not mind, recovering alcoholics or tee totalers may be upset with you doing so. Then there's the whole consuming alcohol while being the possession of a weapon angle (which some consider a major no no).

Why is your (generic) traditions more acceptable than another's that you (generic) may not agree with?

Tremain4414

WKR
Classified Approved
I went on a hunt in Argentina last year and the guide I was with put a blood cross on my forehead before I really knew what was happening….kinda caught me off guard but I figured it was a cultural thing

I've seen some weird stuff but nobody in my world does that stuff. Closest I have done is sit on the elk for a warm chair. Eat a sandwich, take a brief rest and then get my butt out of there.

Tradition, I guess. It's something I suppose you want to pass on down through the generations. Got my first deer's blood on my forehead, as did my Son, as did my Grandson. No different than popping a tab and drinking to the moment.

If you don't wish to, I don't see a problem, carry on with the gutting and skinning.

Ucsdryder

WKR
So I logged in and on the home page is a picture of a young girl with blood purposely wiped on her face.

I'm aware of folks who talk of this type stuff. Some sort of ritual for new hunters or fisherman. I have a goofy friend who tries stuff like that, trying to have the new tuna fisherman take a bite of a beating tuna heart, ect... But he's the only one I've known, and is more than likely just parroting something he saw on reality TV.
I grew up in the NW hunting my whole life, around hunters and fisherman my whole life. Around Native Alaskan's and Native Americans (same I guess) and other than the odd suggestion from folks I know to be over the top prankster type people I've never experienced the "blood makeup" thing.

Is it a regional thing, from certain tribes, or?
I told my wife she had to take a bite of the raw heart of her first bull elk as soon ans she killed it. Apparently she believed me and kept quiet about it. On the way home she says “you didn’t make me take a bite of the heart!”0CEBF01C-0103-404A-B63A-51477F320B60.jpeg

Afhunter1

WKR
Ha! On my boat newbies eat a live alewive after a striper catch.

Ok, I’ve never really made anyone do it but a few I let get really close.

Dwight2180

Lil-Rokslider
I don't know if it's regional. I know people that do it. My family never did. I don't. I always thought of it as learned, mimicked behavior, so it may be regional/tribal in origination.

For me after kill:

I thank nature, marvel the bounty, dig a hole and bury the heart. Process the harvest as responsibly as possible, and place the remains in somewhat of a respectful manner.

Anyone new or first kill, I explain to them the above.

I've done the heart thing, but like dragging deer, that will end with me, my children won't do either if they choose to partake.

2ski

WKR
I don’t know anyone that does it. I always kind of looked at it as over theatrical and disrespectful. But to each there own.

Say a prayer. Thank the animal for the nourishment it will provide.

sacklunch

WKR
Is there an issue with saying a prayer to give thanks for a successful harvest? Some folks may not mind but others will rage because the concept of a prayer let alone being happy that you just murdered an innocent animal.

Is there an issue with putting a last "bite" in the mouth of the animal just killed? While it could be construed as being respectful, you are damaging a live plant and also potentially denying another animal the ability to get a meal.

Is there an issue with taking a celebratory drink (adult beverage of choice) for a successful hunt? While some may not mind, recovering alcoholics or tee totalers may be upset with you doing so. Then there's the whole consuming alcohol while being the possession of a weapon angle (which some consider a major no no).

Why is your (generic) traditions more acceptable than another's that you (generic) may not agree with?
I dont pray, but have nothing against those who do. I say thanks, alot of folks do, actually i dont know anyone who doesnt at least walk up and take the monent in, no matter how brief. But let's not deny that 99% of the people who post it on instagram or facebook are doing it for likes and nothing more. and the dudes posting videos of themselves crying...come on now.

I don’t get the blood thing either but I don’t care if others do it. It’s probably a fun thing to do for them which is fine. I would do it for my kids just as a joke only to see if they would let
me do it. As for putting grass in its mouth or burying part of it, I think that’s dumb as well but to each his own. I don’t thank the animal either though I may offer a silent thanks to God for providing said animal. Others will think that’s dumb as well but it’s my own thing and I will continue to do as I please as others will as well.

zrodwyo

Lil-Rokslider
I have never heard of anyone doing any kind of ritual like that in real life.

Seems kinda like a Boy Scout type of thing but whatever makes a memory!