Wind Shirt Opinions?

I’m looking at the Patagonia Houdini or similar wind shell to wear over a base or a base and mid when I’m active but want to cut down the wind. What have yall tried? Worth it?

BorisZ

FNG
Very hot topic! I am looking at - Massif Clipper Windbreaker (5.7oz) or UA Ridge Reaper Infil Ops Windstopper (10.2oz) or Beyond Ventum UL (12.7oz) ...

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
for hunting I use either a Black Diamond Alpine Start or the Patagonia military Level 4 windshirt

both are pretty quiet and more "stout" than the civilian version of the Houdini- breathability and moisture resistance pretty close amongst all three- the civilian Houdini is quite bit a little lighter- 4 oz vs 8 oz for the other two

the hood closure on the military Houdini is not very good- it just adjust around the exterior of the hood, the civilian Houdini and Alpine Start both have closures that adjust the entire volume of the hood- much, much better

The Arcteryx Squamish hoody is worth a look. I’ve used mine for the last 5 years and have been happy with it’s performance. It’s light, fits great and is made from a relatively quiet fabric that also doesn’t have much sheen. Unfortunately, Arcteryx doesn’t always offer the Squamish in earth tone colors. Some years they do. Try shopping for discontinued colors.

Smallie

Lil-Rokslider
Kuiu Peloton 240 if active. Not 100% windproof but definitely very wind resistant as well as breathable and very quiet. Also have a Sitka Nimbus jacket that is a packable windbreaker thats not as quiet but isn’t too bad for a windbreaker shell

OP
SoutheastGoesWest
Kuiu Peloton 240 if active. Not 100% windproof but definitely very wind resistant as well as breathable and very quiet. Also have a Sitka Nimbus jacket that is a packable windbreaker thats not as quiet but isn’t too bad for a windbreaker shell
Thanks for the suggestion. I actually already ordered the peloton 240 this past week so hopefully I can try it out within the next few days. Seems like everyone loves that piece.

Voyageur

WKR
Curious if anyone has used the HPG Wind Cheater? I've often debated purchasing one.

woods89

WKR
I've had a BD Alpine Start for a few weeks now, after reading @mtwarden 's recommendations of them. I'm quite favorably impressed, although a few weeks isn't much. I think it will get a LOT of use.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Curious if anyone has used the HPG Wind Cheater? I've often debated purchasing one.

I have one that I use in very cold weather; it's heavier (24 oz) and less breathable than a lot of windshirts, but also more robust and feature rich- has long pit zips, plenty of pockets, etc

What's really neat is you can add a zip on coyote ruff- which I'm telling you is really nice when the mercury drops a bunch

zm85MxM.jpg

kahunter

Lil-Rokslider
Just a heads up. Mountain steals and Icebreaker are clearing out the olive colored Icebreaker ultra light wind jacket Haven’t got mine yet, but they are supposed to be a little more breathable than the Houdini

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"

I’ve been curious too but I don’t want to look like one of those people on their website. It’s like they are having a competition for how much shit they can strap to the outside of their packs and how much gear they can fit on the outside of their chest packs.

I was on their Facebook page and there was even a guy hiking with a damn tripod strapped to his kit bag. I asked him why and he said “I’m a wildlife photographer bro”…..seriously though, lol @ hill people gear and their followers.

Jimss

WKR
Breathable raingear like Kuiu and Sitka work fantastic for duel purpose wind and rain. I almost always have these along anyways. Make sure the rain jacket you buy has pitzips.