Wind shirt as layer for bowhunting

thewoods

FNG
Hi all, I was looking for an early to midseason set up for bowhunting whitetail out of treestand. Wanting a quiet outerlayer with good windblocking.
Instead of getting something like sitka stratus which i don't care for the elevated color and price was wondering if anyone has used the following.
BD Alpine Start wind shirt under a cheap fleece jacket of which i have plenty of. Just wanting to know how quiet of an option this would be with the windshirt underneath vs. some of the other fleece jackets with windstopper built in. My thought is you wouldn't be stuck with one expensive jacket and could use several cheaper quiet outer layers in different thicknesses and camo patterns..

slatty

WKR
I really like the OR ferrosi.
They are all synthetic and not quiet like wool but very reasonable especially if under another layer. Very happy with the jacket in general I own a couple for hunting and outdoor sports as well.
It doesn’t do anything 100% but really good overall in terms of weight, breathable, sheds water. Nice solid colors too.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
For archery hunting- windshirt under a light fleece should work. My go to windshirt is the BD Alpine Start- just about the right amount of breathability vs wind resistance, little heavier denier fabric vs the real ultralight ones and has a relatively quiet hand (for archery hunting, still would probably be best with a light fleece over the top; rifle hunting I wear it as a outer layer frequently).

Windstopper is great at stopping the wind, not good at breathing- not a lot better than even Goretex and other full waterproof garments.

I really like my HPG windcheater. With layers underneath it does well at keeping the wind at bay. It is a bit expensive though. It is also more than quiet enough for bowhunting.

OP
T

thewoods

FNG
Thanks for the replies. Keep your thoughts coming. So very helpfull

wnelson14

WKR
Blackovis had a windshirt, fl Ridgeline, outdoor research ferrosi, look at the kuhl the one hoody they also have other light active jackets, outdoor vitals has one coming out, REI has there active pursuit line that might have something your looking for. I’m in the same boat I like multiple light layers to interchange with or without each other,

htlt_surfboards

Lil-Rokslider
I have the OR ferrosi and use it regularly for just around town when its warmer out. I have never brought it hunting because I honestly think it is just OK at blocking wind and fairly loud. I think it was originally made for rock climbing so while does block some wind I think the durability is supposed to be its selling point.

That being said I have an older OR jacket called the tantrum II which was one of their earlier packable wind jackets. It weighs 3.5 oz and does a better job blocking the wind than the ferrosi (13oz) at id say the same noise level. I have taken this bow hunting many times and worn it under a kuiu peloton 200 with success and never worried about noise. I think the current replacement for the tantrum would be the OR helium wind jacket.

No experience with the BD alpine start but my guess is it is closer to the wind layers I mentioned than the ferrosi and would work well for your application. Especially if @mtwarden gives it his seal of approval.

TN2shot07

WKR
I really enjoyed the one from thlete this season. You could pull it over a puffy (Celsius) and be good to pretty cool temps

I have a ton of wind shirts including the Alpine Start, I wouldn't consider it very quiet and it lets in a fair amount of wind as it's supposed to. Not something I'd want for sitting still. And none of my wind shells would work well for bowhunting - too noisy. I picked up a Columbia Ascender on this guy's (traditional bowhunter) recommendation. It's as quiet a "wind shell" as you'll probably get and dirt cheap. I have a few and prefer the PHG version in Tan the best.

sndmn11

WKR
That is my plan this year and throughout the summer. I ran across Beyond and their USA made wind shirt (I got the pants too).

So far for jogging they do the trick real well.

WoodBow

WKR
Blackovis had a windshirt, fl Ridgeline, outdoor research ferrosi, look at the kuhl the one hoody they also have other light active jackets, outdoor vitals has one coming out, REI has there active pursuit line that might have something your looking for. I’m in the same boat I like multiple light layers to interchange with or without each other,
That black ovis wind shirt is a joke. DO NOT BUY IT. It is no more wind resistant than a t-shirt. It's a nice piece and I like the fit but it is useless.

The ridgeline is honestly the same. Except it fits like a sack. I will sell either piece at a bargain if someone wants to try them. I'm 6 foot and an athletic 185.

WoodBow

WKR
I took a patagonia houdini this past year for CO and i loved it. Insanely light and packable. Works best over a layer so the wind doesn't push that cold fabric against your skin. I think it could be used as you describe without issue.

I bought a peloton 240 last year as well and I like it for casual wear. Does a pretty good job of stopping moderate wind. But i found it be too loud if it is calm for close quarters bowhunting.

ERegs

FNG
What if you just got like a cheap down vest or wind breaker and put it under a long sleeve shirt to quiet it down? Just a thought instead of spending the ungodly amount of money for the Sitka.

RADunfee

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry but my Black Ovis Specter worked great on my north GA bear hunts. Yeah not super wind resistant but a great DWR layer over a core lightweight hoodie. Temps from 55 with that combo in wet nasty stuff. No snags and never got wet.