Winchester Model 70 EW

Motown

WKR
So I am thinking of picking up a new model 70 extreme weather in 300wsm. Anyone have experience with the newer EW models? I haven't had a chance to handle one in a few years and I heard they thinned out the stock a bit. Also curious what kind of accuracy you guys are seeing in the new models as well. Any input is appreciated!

EastMT

WKR
I just bought one in 6.5, I couldn’t be happier with the quality of finish, fit, smoothest action for a controlled feed I’ve seen, and it shoots great.

I haven’t been a Winchester fan in the past, but I think I just became one

OP
Motown

Motown

WKR
Thanks Coop thats what I was hoping to hear. How do you like the stock? I know that a lot of guys complained that the stock on the older models was a bit thick especially in grip area.

I have one in 30-06. It’s very accurate. Groups are indistinguishable from my Tikkas. The FN made model 70s are the best model 70s made, and they are some of the best factory rifles you can buy.

Reactions: FLS

EastMT

WKR
Thanks Coop thats what I was hoping to hear. How do you like the stock? I know that a lot of guys complained that the stock on the older models was a bit thick especially in grip area.

I’m a fan of the BC and HS aluminum block stocks, some people aren’t but I like the feel over the new hollow sounding cheap stocks. I guess it’s preference but for me they are great. I’ve added them to a lot of my Remingtons, and it’s nice coming from the factory with what I already like.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I have one in 30-06, I absolutely love it, its an awesome all around rifle. I load 200g partitions and 200g ELDx for it.

RHR280AC

FNG
Motown;
-I have owned a couple of these beauties. One in 308 win, one in 30-06 and one in 270wsm.
All three were very accurate and the fit and finish is top tier. The FN produced are the best of
the breed, when it comes to quality and workmanship. Even the newer ones produced in Portugal
are a superior rifle for the money. You cannot go wrong with one of these.

RHR280AC

FNG
jacknifejc;

-I have owned one Kimber Montana chambered in 308 win. Also had one of the Adirondack's chambered in 308 and one of the Mountain Ascents in 300 win. The Montana and Mountain Ascent were not accurate with any factory load or some ole reliable handloads. If you ask about Kimbers moa warranty, good luck with their customer service or lack there of. I am by no means a Kimber basher but what I am trying to say is you get a good one if you are lucky or you don't. The Adirondack was very accurate and a pleasure to carry and shoot.
I had a friend who wanted it more than I, so I moved it.

In comparison to the Model 70 EW the Kimbers are lighter and more whippy. Quality on both is very high but in my experience the M70's accuracy was far superior. This is based on MY personnel experience with both rifles. I am by know means trying to start a this vs. that brand war.

I have no experience with the fieldcraft rifle. I do have a very good friend who has two Christensen Arms Mesa's and the fit, finish and accuracy along with their customer service is top tier. One is in 6.5 Creedmore
the other in 300 win. He is extremely happy with both.

Thanks for listening and hope this helps.
Rg

Thanks Rg! I do have a Kimber Talkeetna that shoots really well that I’m taking to Alaska in April, but I’ve never shot one of the Montanas.

Last edited:

Grumman

WKR
I have one in 338 and I love it. The bolt and action are super smooth. I’ve been debating on picking up a short action to go with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
How do they compare to the Kimber Montana rifles?

totally different things. The only similarities are that they both have a 3 position safety unless I’m missing something. The kimbers are scaled down and weigh 2 lbs less than the Winchester.

I have kimbers and the m70 EWSS.

RHR280AC

FNG
Grumman, Thanks for the comment. As for the short action M70 EW what caliber ya thinking?
With the 338 win as a stablemate either the 308 or 30-06 would be a perfect compliment for
what we encounter in all of North America's game fields.

thinhorn AK is indeed correct as the Kimbers do have a scaled to caliber action and barrel profile.
I think they are beautiful and an incredible value IF you get one that shoots. In my opinion the
customer service is sub par compared to others in the business. Just my opinion from personel
experience.

The model 70 EW is much heavier than the Kimbers but I do not think that is a bad thing and it
all depends on what you are looking for in a rifle and what you are going to be using it for.

Thanks for all the GREAT input guys.
Rg

Here's mine in 300 wsm.
Cerakote, brake install, timney trigger
Shoots one inch and usually much less if I do my part
af828691e69d7cbfe825554715614d6a.jpg
8649de70669117a02941eb3f712966d9.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
Motown

Motown

WKR