Winchester 70 Pre64 Recoil pad replacements?

Uzima

FNG
Anyone have ideas on recoil pads that match well to a pre-64 Winchester 70 with the notch style steel buttplate? Not a slip on either, would like to keep it clean looking.
2022-04-2714.20.332185617244400543621.jpg

bpotter

Lil-Rokslider
Are you sure you want to mess a classic?. Is the rifle in good shape otherwise.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Wrench

WKR
There's a market for unmolested pre64 stocks. If you really want a pad on it....you could buy a second stock with a pad and come out money ahead.

OP
U

Uzima

FNG
It's got field use wear but otherwise great shape, I don't want to make any modifications that's why I was hopeful for a padded buttplate swap for a season that I could use as needed. I wouldn't sell the classic stock. And dropping it into a synthetic wouldn't be ideal.

bpotter

Lil-Rokslider
I'd use a slip on pad unless the stock is already too long. Take it off when storing to save steel from rusting. You might have a valuable rifle there. What cartridge?

k80Titus

FNG

Check this sight out. You can google buttplate with spur

OP
U

Uzima

FNG
I'd use a slip on pad unless the stock is already too long. Take it off when storing to save steel from rusting. You might have a valuable rifle there. What cartridge?

It's a 30-06, a gem of a rifle. I've had a slip on pad for years but LOP less ideal and looks terrible. Working up a new load and, without the pad for a change, it certainly left a mark after a day on the range.

My very first rifle was a 30-06 Remington 700 with brass but plate. It was about as much fun to shoot as a root canal.
If you can find a notched plastic one that fits the notch, grind it smooth on the outside and glue an air tech limbsaver to it. My main hunting rifle is a Tikka in 30-06 that weighs 7.5 lbs with scope, sling, and a full mag. The limbsaver made it feel like about 2/3 the factory recoil. Keep the old butt pad in your gun safe.

Or you could make a piece of walnut that fits the notch and glue it to the new butt pad. Or line the notch with masking tape, install a new butt pad, and fill the gap with black caulk which you could sand or carve to fit.

eamyrick

WKR
I have a pre-64 featherweight with the aluminum buttlate. If your are getting beat up by recoil it’s a rifle fit issue. Scoped you should be at 8lbs which is a pussy cat in 30-06. If you are set on a new recoil pad, Justin at pre64.com sells the factory reproduction Winchester pads.

OP
U

Uzima

FNG
My very first rifle was a 30-06 Remington 700 with brass but plate. It was about as much fun to shoot as a root canal.
If you can find a notched plastic one that fits the notch, grind it smooth on the outside and glue an air tech limbsaver to it. My main hunting rifle is a Tikka in 30-06 that weighs 7.5 lbs with scope, sling, and a full mag. The limbsaver made it feel like about 2/3 the factory recoil. Keep the old butt pad in your gun safe.

Or you could make a piece of walnut that fits the notch and glue it to the new butt pad. Or line the notch with masking tape, install a new butt pad, and fill the gap with black caulk which you could sand or carve to fit.
That's a good idea, thanks!

OP
U

Uzima

FNG
I have a pre-64 featherweight with the aluminum buttlate. If your are getting beat up by recoil it’s a rifle fit issue. Scoped you should be at 8lbs which is a pussy cat in 30-06. If you are set on a new recoil pad, Justin at pre64.com sells the factory reproduction Winchester pads.
I picked up a factory reproduction Winchester pad from Justin at pre64.com as you say, but it is not notched and looks terrible so I'm back to the stock plate with a slip-on pad. Rifle fit is just fine, I'm just getting old.

Wrench

WKR
If ypu look at "flip flop" recoil pads, you'll see that you could add a very adequate pad that doesn't need to add more than 1/2". The grinding can be stressful....but you can afford to foul it up and not waste $$.

eamyrick

WKR
I picked up a factory reproduction Winchester pad from Justin at pre64.com as you say, but it is not notched and looks terrible so I'm back to the stock plate with a slip-on pad. Rifle fit is just fine, I'm just getting old.

Yeh you will need to have a gunsmith cut and install the pad flush. This is what Winchester did. I’m the opposite of everyone else on this. If it makes you happy have the pad installed. There were millions of these rifles made. If you were cutting up a super grade or factory 9.3 then it would be a different story.