Williams Peep Sight - Is anyone bedding and thread locking?

rharbaugh

WKR
I've been playing with my Williams peep sight for awhile, and was wondering if I should try to bed the peep and globe to the barrel like folks do with scope mounts? I'm going to put some blue loctite on as well after I bed the sights. Has anyone else tried or thought of doing this? Any suggestions for watchouts?

Thanks,

RH

TX_Diver

WKR
Just did yesterday but it's because I installed a peep/globe on a model that wasn't an exact fit.

I will probably get around to shooting it in the next week and update then how it goes...

Interested in other peoples experiences.

lWS5GRsh.jpg

qAiCpKah.jpg

lGzf1iXh.jpg

Before
dFpt4pOh.jpg

OP
rharbaugh

rharbaugh

WKR
Just did yesterday but it's because I installed a peep/globe on a model that wasn't an exact fit.

I will probably get around to shooting it in the next week and update then how it goes...

Interested in other peoples experiences.

lWS5GRsh.jpg

qAiCpKah.jpg

lGzf1iXh.jpg

Before
dFpt4pOh.jpg
Looks awesome and exactly what I had in mind. What did you use for a release agent on the barrel?

TX_Diver

WKR
Looks awesome and exactly what I had in mind. What did you use for a release agent on the barrel?
Nothing. There's only one screw per sight so I figured bonding it to the barrel may be a bit stronger. I scuffed up the bottom of the sights with some 400grit sandpaper but didn't scratch up the barrel.

Binz17

Lil-Rokslider
I'm going to do the same thing, I had to add some shims to the globe and want the extra holding power from a bed job.

I think bedding is a great idea, especially on the front globe. Makes me feel better since it only uses one screw. I’m a belt and suspenders guy.

On the last one I installed (last summer), I used a little 600 grit emery cloth laid on the barrel to contour the bottom side of the globe sight (it wasn’t a perfect fit before contouring), then bedded it with JB Quick and loctited with blue. I used Renaissance Wax as a release agent on the barrel. Worked great.

Muleyczy

Lil-Rokslider
Alright I’m an idiot but what do you mean by release agent. So the JB weld doesn’t stick?

CMF

WKR
I'm not familiar with bedding either. You're just using the jb weld to get solid mating, but a wax so it's not permanently stuck?

I did use blue loctite on the screw when i put my front globe on this week.

OP
rharbaugh

rharbaugh

WKR
I'm not familiar with bedding either. You're just using the jb weld to get solid mating, but a wax so it's not permanently stuck?

Correct. Here is where I got the idea from.

I’m using my muzzy for an elk hunt this year, and then I’ll turn around and throw a scope on it for late season white tails.

I’ll take pictures this weekend and post them up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly. I could explain it further but you’ll find hours of info on the web about bedding rails and sights.

Reactions: CMF
OP
rharbaugh

rharbaugh

WKR
I dry fitted the globe and peep to my barrel, notice the gaps between the sights and the barrel.

unnamed.jpg
unnamed (1).jpgunnamed (3).jpg

I took the sights off and sanded the bottom of the sights with 240 grit sandpaper. I then took acetone and cleaned the bottom of the sights and the barrel where the sights would be going.

unnamed (2).jpg

I then applied the release agent (SC Johnson Paste Wax) to the barrel so I could remove the sights after Sept so I could mount my scope for late season. I also applied the release agent to the threads of the screws that hold the sights to the barrel.

unnamed (5).jpg

I mixed up the JB Weld, and applied a thin layer to the bottom of the sights.

unnamed (6).jpg

I then lined up the sights before sitting them back on the barrel. Lightly tightening the screws, I pushed excess JB Weld out from under the sights.

unnamed (7).jpg

After this, I cleaned up the extra JB Weld with a small scraper and Q-tips. Notice how the gaps on the globe are now filled with JB Weld.

unnamed (8).jpgunnamed (9).jpg

The next morning, I had to lightly tap on the sight to loosen the globe to remove it. Being my first time bedding anything, you can notice a small gap on the front of the globe that didn't get filled with JB Weld.

unnamed (10).jpg

Last steps are to clean the threads of the screws, apply blue Loctite, and then sight in.

I dry fitted the globe and peep to my barrel, notice the gaps between the sights and the barrel.

View attachment 536579
View attachment 536580View attachment 536581

I took the sights off and sanded the bottom of the sights with 240 grit sandpaper. I then took acetone and cleaned the bottom of the sights and the barrel where the sights would be going.

View attachment 536582

I then applied the release agent (SC Johnson Paste Wax) to the barrel so I could remove the sights after Sept so I could mount my scope for late season. I also applied the release agent to the threads of the screws that hold the sights to the barrel.

View attachment 536588

I mixed up the JB Weld, and applied a thin layer to the bottom of the sights.

View attachment 536592

I then lined up the sights before sitting them back on the barrel. Lightly tightening the screws, I pushed excess JB Weld out from under the sights.

View attachment 536594

After this, I cleaned up the extra JB Weld with a small scraper and Q-tips. Notice how the gaps on the globe are now filled with JB Weld.

View attachment 536595View attachment 536596

The next morning, I had to lightly tap on the sight to loosen the globe to remove it. Being my first time bedding anything, you can notice a small gap on the front of the globe that didn't get filled with JB Weld.

View attachment 536599

Last steps are to clean the threads of the screws, apply blue Loctite, and then sight in.
That’s exactly how I do mine.

I'd make sure you test before you bond.

I have had a globe/peep combo not provide the correct elevation before.

Just incase someone might be getting a new set of sights in and decide to do this before they test them out.

Jlop_2

Lil-Rokslider
Just wanted to say thanks guys, I was able to get my Williams fiber set up done due to this thread. I hated the gap it had once dry fitted. I started by shortening the screw which still didn’t help much. For reference this is on an optima v2. I’m a lot more confident in it now. The rear peep sat flush it was just the front globe on my rifle that had the gap. 👍🏼 i have included before and after pictures.

Attachments

• 682B9B3C-5E0B-46E1-9DA6-DF4487C79B11.jpeg
    682B9B3C-5E0B-46E1-9DA6-DF4487C79B11.jpeg
    162.6 KB · Views: 29
  • 7E5FBBCE-6777-4FF7-9C21-2E0FE07D5564.jpeg
    7E5FBBCE-6777-4FF7-9C21-2E0FE07D5564.jpeg
    186.9 KB · Views: 29
  • 45E11239-65D4-41FF-812F-E86B0B104375.jpeg
    45E11239-65D4-41FF-812F-E86B0B104375.jpeg
    134.8 KB · Views: 29
  • 74B90133-3B5A-44E7-BEE2-B21731C1716E.jpeg
    74B90133-3B5A-44E7-BEE2-B21731C1716E.jpeg
    158.2 KB · Views: 31

TX_Diver

WKR
I'd make sure you test before you bond.

I have had a globe/peep combo not provide the correct elevation before.

Just incase someone might be getting a new set of sights in and decide to do this before they test them out.

Yea…. Mine are epoxied on and I’m out of elevation. Shot today and I’m 12” high at 100. Oops 😬

I’ll figure out getting it off next weekend and either shimming the front or using a different ramp in the back. Will post an update whenever I get it figured out. 🤦‍♂️

Yea…. Mine are epoxied on and I’m out of elevation. Shot today and I’m 12” high at 100. Oops 😬

I’ll figure out getting it off next weekend and either shimming the front or using a different ramp in the back. Will post an update whenever I get it figured out. 🤦‍♂️

Heat will soften JB weld pretty easily.

I have cleaned it up pretty well with some map gas, just don't get stuff too hot. Go slow heating it.

TX_Diver

WKR
Heat will soften JB weld pretty easily.

I have cleaned it up pretty well with some map gas, just don't get stuff too hot. Go slow heating it.
Rear came off with a little whack. I think the original base with Work as it is thinner. But now I need to get the epoxy out of one of the holes…

Attachments

• 064B7970-D8E7-4754-AD4C-92520BC165E1.jpeg
    064B7970-D8E7-4754-AD4C-92520BC165E1.jpeg
    277.6 KB · Views: 11