Will better 10x Binoculars get me what I'm looking for?

grfox92

WKR
I've been using Maven C.1 10x42s since 2018. This is my second year hunting in NW Wyoming as a resident and my first year really mountain mule deer hunting.

I was using my Mavens on a tripod or trekking pole and my partner was using a Leupold BX4 20-60x spotting scope on a tripod. He initially found the buck I eventually shot in the BX4. I could not make out antlers in my Mavens. The buck was exactly .90 miles away as the crow flies. Once I got the spotter in my lap I could get a better look at the deer, but even with the BX4 seing any detail of the rack at that range was difficult. It was just good enough to make the decision to go kill the buck which I did (first muley).

I know now that based on the terrain I am hunting that I need to be able to find deer at a mile away maybe further.

Will Maven B series in 10x or 12x on a tripod do that job? Or is a quality spotter really necessary. The previous week I found deer at that range off a tripod with my C series but they were moving up a hill and there were about 15 does...or what I thought were all does.

Will upgraded binoculars let me see antlers at a mile? I can't upgrade binoculars and buy a spotter before next season. My budget is $1k +/-. Should I keep the C1 10x42 and buy a $1k spotter or spend that money on binoculars.

Looking for some Rokslide glass snobs to weigh in.

Thanks,

Gary

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

Usually clarity trumps magnification. For example, it is better to have a 10x NL Pure than a WalMart Special 60x spotting scope.

The following is a generalization as there are many variables that come into play...

A high end pair of 10x may allow you to determine if that animal is worth pursuing at 1 mile based upon general characteristics (ex: large and wide frame). However, that same pair of 10x may not allow you to field judge the same animal (ex: B&C score, identifying some kickers, etc). You need to figure out what exactly you want that optic to do for you. Here is a hint: no single optic covers 100% of all hunting scenarios despite what some may claim.

I'd strongly recommend calling both CameraLand NY and S&S (both are site sponsors) and talk with them. Tell them exactly what you want/need the optic to do, ask for their guidance on options, and then ask what they can do for you.

OP
grfox92

grfox92

WKR
Usually clarity trumps magnification. For example, it is better to have a 10x NL Pure than a WalMart Special 60x spotting scope.

The following is a generalization as there are many variables that come into play...

A high end pair of 10x may allow you to determine if that animal is worth pursuing at 1 mile based upon general characteristics (ex: large and wide frame). However, that same pair of 10x may not allow you to field judge the same animal (ex: B&C score, identifying some kickers, etc). You need to figure out what exactly you want that optic to do for you. Here is a hint: no single optic covers 100% of all hunting scenarios despite what some may claim.

I'd strongly recommend calling both CameraLand NY and S&S (both are site sponsors) and talk with them. Tell them exactly what you want/need the optic to do, ask for their guidance on options, and then ask what they can do for you.
I'm thinking 12 or 15x binoculars would fit my needs. I'm not looking to guess a score yet just to determine if what I'm looking at is a giant framed 2x2 or a nice branch antlered buck.

I could call Doug but I would like to stick with Mavens unless there is better glass in the same price range, which from how understand it usually isn't the case.

jimh406

WKR
It depends on the lighting, and your eyes if better glass works better than higher power. But, magnification is better if you want to count points. From what I've heard Maven Binoculars are pretty good. I'd go for a good quality spotting scope if you want to see the antlers more clearly.

I can see approximately 1/2 mile on my property from my house. I can tell if they have antlers with 10s or my 12.5s, but it's dramatically easier to judge the antlers with one of my spotting scopes even on the lower power setting. However, your eyes could be better than mine.

I do usually use binoculars first due to a much larger field of view unless I'm at very long distance. Fwiw, I can see if it is a 2x2 or larger antlered bucks with my binoculars out to about 1/2 mile. 1 mile would be pushing it in anything other than great light.

sndmn11

WKR

I think this is spot on.

I switched to 8x Maven b1.2 after @KickinNDishin consistently would find animals faster than me using her 8x when I'd be using 10x. Clear field of view seems to win for how we glass.

A phone skipe or similar in your noculars can do wonders, a solid tripod (not a super lightweight or many sectioned one), a stool, and a rock hammock all increase your ability to resolve and "see" at distance.

I'd spend my money on the best 8x/10x and about them about $400-500 on the glassing tools.

Wrench

WKR
I have been able to spot antlers on deer from several (7-8) miles away with leica 8 and 12x.....but only when the light and air conditions are perfect. Just last weekend I was able to count the tines on a bull at .77 miles and it was not too much work.....I was using 8x noctovids. At 1.85 miles I could see two hunters working on a cow elk well enough to know what was up.

If you mix in any fog, haze, dust, mirage...etc, it becomes nearly impossible.

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
Gary-

If you were closer I'd invite you my way to do some side by side comparisons of binos and spotters. I do think you have room to upgrade your 10x binos.
I would NOT recommend a spotter in the $1k price range, I have yet to find one that is "worth" it. I'd say put that money towards 15x binos/tripod setup instead.
If you are committed to getting a spotter, save up more and go top tier.

I was in the same boat maven c1’s with a lower end kowa spotter. Sold both and bought Zeiss conquest 10x42, no regrets so far.
Bino’s on a tripod works for me most of the time. If anything might buy 15’s later.

Blue72

WKR
Have you checked to see if your binoculars are collimated?

I have a 5-6 mile view in my backyard and my Mavens can pick up deer well up to around 2 miles

Firestone

WKR
Counting points and judging up a buck at 1mile with 10x is going to be tough, especially in and out of timber and broken terrain. I don't care how good of glass it is. You need more power. You might be able to get a good idea of what kind of frame he's got with 10x and if you have a good back ground or sky lined you will be able to see the larger forks, but that's about it.

Blue72

WKR
Gary-

If you were closer I'd invite you my way to do some side by side comparisons of binos and spotters. I do think you have room to upgrade your 10x binos.
I would NOT recommend a spotter in the $1k price range, I have yet to find one that is "worth" it. I'd say put that money towards 15x binos/tripod setup instead.
If you are committed to getting a spotter, save up more and go top tier.

Nikon ED50 with fixed magnification eyepieces. Is one of the nicest spotters I’ve tried and proves you don’t have to spend big bucks.

I'm thinking 12 or 15x binoculars would fit my needs. I'm not looking to guess a score yet just to determine if what I'm looking at is a giant framed 2x2 or a nice branch antlered buck.

I could call Doug but I would like to stick with Mavens unless there is better glass in the same price range, which from how understand it usually isn't the case.

Stick with Maven as they are your preferred optics manufacturer as you will likely suffer from chronic buyer's remorse if you buy a product from another optics manufacturer.

For everyone else, call CameraLand and S&S as they know more about optics than our "trusted" friends and even WKRs. They'll get you pointed in the right direction. With a bit of leg work, it is fairly easy to get deals on superior optics.

OP
grfox92

grfox92

WKR
I hiked into the same valley this morning. Glassed up a lone buck at .88 miles with my Mavens on a trekking pole (buddy was using my tripod for his spotter.) I was able to locate and confirm it was a good racked buck from that distance but conditions were optimal. We never got him in the spotter as he disappeared into a drainage and season is closed.

If he wasn't out in the open it could be tough. Does anyone rock 15x binoculars exclusively? Are you able to use them like 10s, free hand, quickly glassing suspected animals at closer ranges?

OP
grfox92

grfox92

WKR
With a budget of $1000ish, I would be looking for some used Swaro SLC 10X42 binos during this off season. Then begin saving for a top tier spotting scope / tripod combo.
Are the SLC better glass then Maven B series?

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
I hiked into the same valley this morning. Glassed up a lone buck at .88 miles with my Mavens on a trekking pole (buddy was using my tripod for his spotter.) I was able to locate and confirm it was a good racked buck from that distance but conditions were optimal. We never got him in the spotter as he disappeared into a drainage and season is closed.

If he wasn't out in the open it could be tough. Does anyone rock 15x binoculars exclusively? Are you able to use them like 10s, free hand, quickly glassing suspected animals at closer ranges?

I free hand my 15x binos a lot. I don’t do extended sessions, just a quick confirmation, or a brief scan. No problems hand holding at all.

LaHunter

WKR
Are the SLC better glass then Maven B series?

I can't say if they are better or not, since I have no experience with the Maven binos. I can say, that for about $1,000, or maybe just a little more, you can find a set of used SLC 10x42 binos in like new condition that will be an excellent set of binos at a great value / price.
Once you start getting up to & over a mile, mule deer can be tough to evaluate, especially if the background / vegetation is grayish / brown and lighting is not ideal. This is when I rely on my spotter.