Wild Story - OTC elk from PA

westonhoma

Lil-Rokslider
What a wild turn of events it was... I wanted to share my recent adventure story.

Prepared to hunt Idaho archery deer all offseason, I get out there and scout around for a few days just to find back at my truck the day before season a bunch of closure signs. More than the area of my hunt unit was closed due to smoke and wildfires (smoke was getting pretty bad up on the mountain).

Not knowing what to do next I called a buddy (actually met on Rokslide here, this would be the first time meeting in person) who was with a few guys who were hunting high country mule deer in Colorado. Low and behold.. it was an OTC elk unit as well. They were more than fine with me joining and picking up a tag. The hunt was back on!

Spent the rest of the week chasing a couple different elk herds. Finally got a good stalk in tight with a herd later in the week (actually went and spiked out solo for a few days to get it done) and was able to take this cow! So pumped for my first elk!

Couldnt believe how it all came together. From such a low to such a high. I was able to come home with so much meat... significantly increase my elk hunting knowledge.. and also make some new dang good friends as well. I could go on for days telling more to this whole story but this was it at a high level. So thankful! 1726160675720.jpeg

Last edited:

Slick8

Lil-Rokslider
Man what a great story, way to make some lemonade from and forest fire.

Congrats on a great hunt and trophy, thanks for sharing.

OP
westonhoma

westonhoma

Lil-Rokslider
Man what a great story, way to make some lemonade from and forest fire.

Congrats on a great hunt and trophy, thanks for sharing.
Thanks man! The whole experience taught me so many life lessons. Essentially.. just gotta keep seeking the positive in things and never quit!