Wifes new 6.5 Creedmore mule deer rifle ammo choice?

HOT ROD

WKR
Wife has been shooting Berger 130gr otm with her 6.5 creedmoor elk deer and antelope and it performed very well. So far this year she dumped a good mule deer buck at 456 yards with a Sierra Tipped Match king and I was impressed with that bullet....

Macintosh

WKR
OP mentioned barnes ttsx. You certinly dont need to for performance, but if you do go with a mono in a 6.5cm the LRX probably would be a better choice, it’ll hold velocity longer and expand at lower velocity. Factory loads in my 6.5cm 24” barrel at 1800’ DA doesnt go below 2000fps until 460 yards…so more than plenty of velocity inside 300+.

Last edited:

WaWox

FNG
My LRX out of a 6.5cm went thru scapula, a rib bone behind it, another rib bone on the other side, travelling approx 45 degree angle, and lodging at the back of the femur that it almost separated in halves on a blacktail last year. This was at approx 75 yards but still, do not worry about penetration on deer.

If you care about lead free, lrx are great. Like everyone else is saying here, look for minimum expansion velocity (2000-2200 for ttsx, 1800-2000 for lrx) and these will do some damage.

Even on elk, lrx just rip through. Hit a knee bone, probably the thickest thing in an elk forwards of the h-bone?, from 500 yards with an lrx out of a 7rem mag and it turned the entire knee to powder, fully expanded, and then went into the lungs and exited into the other shoulder where I recovered it

If you don't care about being lead free, this thread and many others here show that a 77gr eld m can kill elk at ranges greater than your margin :)