Wifes new 6.5 Creedmore mule deer rifle ammo choice?

aaron600rr

Lil-Rokslider
I just bought the wife a Tikka t3x 6.5 creedmore( specific for mule deer) because her 30-06 was giving her a pretty bad flinch. I'm curious what ammo you recommend for this gun. Shots will be 0-300 yards and punching through shoulder bone might be a situation we sometimes encounter.

Locally I can find Barnes Ttsx BT 120 grain(I feel like this might be a bit on the low end for punching through bone)

- Federal fusion 140 grain

- Hornady Precision 143gr eldx(ai've read that this might not do well against bone)

Last edited:
Have you read much? There are plenty of threads that should give you plenty of confidence with the ELD X or M. The caliber is fine and the X or M is a no brainer.

Seeknelk

WKR
Hornady 140 or 147 eld match or 143 eld x. Went thru the leg bone at 350 on my son's first buck, quartering to, thru the heart.
And my daughter put one thru the ribs at 475 on hers. Both died in sight. There is zero issue with paper thin scapulas or heavier leg bone. Both had exits.

nobody

WKR
Hornady Factory 140 ELDM is all I’ll feed my creeds, whether it’s coyotes or rutting bull elk. That combo is capable waaaaaaaaaaaaay beyond the 300 yard cap you’ve placed on her on any 4 legged animal, let alone a mule deer.

The “shoulder” bone on a deer is thinner than shoebox cardboard, and extremely flexible. Lots of necropsy photos on Rokslide show scapulas skinned off with the meat removed behind held up to the sun and you can literally see through it. The shoulder bone thing is dead in the water and is of no concern. It’s just fuddlore perpetuated by gun writers and gun counter cowboys for the last 100 years.

Put a 140/147 ELDM, 130 TMK, or 143 ELDX in front of the diaphragm and enjoy backstrap for dinner. Maybe spend some time reading up on these threads to get an idea of what I’m referencing. Good luck!

Same shoulder as above versus a 90gr eld-x at 300 yards. I used a 2.5 gallon bag of jello as my soft tissue simulation.

Attachments

• PXL_20231105_174454774.jpg
    PXL_20231105_174454774.jpg
    221.7 KB · Views: 4

mtnbound

WKR
I just bought the wife a Tikka t3x 6.5 creedmore( specific for mule deer) because her 30-06 was giving her a pretty bad flinch. I'm curious what ammo you recommend for this gun. Shots will be 0-300 yards and punching through shoulder bone might be a situation we sometimes encounter.

Locally I can find Barnes Ttsx BT 120 grain(I feel like this might be a bit on the low end for punching through bone)

- Federal fusion 140 grain

- Hornady Precision 143gr eldx(ai've read that this might not do well against bone)

Barnes is a copper bullet so bone is not gonna be an issue.
Federal Fusion is a bonded bullet so again bone is not going to be an issue.
ELDX will not have any problems with bone either. Buy a box of all three and see what the gun and your wife shoots best.