Wi-Fi Trail Cameras - Do they really exist?

Hello All,

I have acreage out in the thumb part of Michigan and have set up a solar-powered Wi-Fi repeater network so that people can use the internet anywhere on the property, especially because our cellular service totally sucks.

What I'd like to do is get a "true" Wi-Fi trail camera that can connect to my private Wi-Fi network running throughout the property (not create a Wi-Fi Direct connection between the trail camera & a phone - I do not want that). With the cameras connected to my private Wi-Fi network, I would like to livestream video back at my house (like a command center / security center) and see what's going on. Since I have a lot of property, this will also help give me insight regarding where the deer are moving without having to go out there and pull SD cards. I just don't have time for that and that's why I haven't opted for any cameras to date.

Before you ask - yes, I've considered & tried cellular cameras. Since the reception in my area sucks, they are useless.

I appreciate the feedback!

budmen

FNG
I would love to know what kind of wifi repeater setup you have and how far it reaches.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

gjviii

Lil-Rokslider
Not a true 'trailcam' but have you thought about something like and Arlo setup? throw a bunch of those around your property, they connect directly to your wifi network and have decent battery life. I'm using 8 arlos,and they meet my needs nicely but there are other brands as well.

nickstone

WKR
I'm happy with these used in the manner you described

KNZ

FNG
I would love to know what kind of wifi repeater setup you have and how far it reaches.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk
I'm also curious if you have time to explain your system.

henryarb

FNG
Hello All,

I have acreage out in the thumb part of Michigan and have set up a solar-powered Wi-Fi repeater network so that people can use the internet anywhere on the property, especially because our cellular service totally sucks.

What I'd like to do is get a "true" Wi-Fi trail camera that can connect to my private Wi-Fi network running throughout the property (not create a Wi-Fi Direct connection between the trail camera & a phone - I do not want that). With the cameras connected to my private Wi-Fi network, I would like to livestream video back at my house (like a command center / security center) and see what's going on. Since I have a lot of property, this will also help give me insight regarding where the deer are moving without having to go out there and pull SD cards. I just don't have time for that and that's why I haven't opted for any cameras to date.

Before you ask - yes, I've considered & tried cellular cameras. Since the reception in my area sucks, they are useless.

I appreciate the feedback

Hello All,

I appreciate the feedback!
I need the same thing. Have you figured anything out? I have wifi broadcast over about 60 acres and I want a few cams to connect through my wifi (not directly to my phone from 20 ft). I see suggestions here about Arlo and Eufy. I used to have an Arlo setup at the house and the cameras connected to a home-base extender thing and not simply to my wifi network. Maybe that's changed?? I just read the same thing about Eufy. Apparently very cool cameras, but they have to be within 40 ft of the homebase to use wifi. Otherwise they store onboard and you have to go get the card, just like any other cam. I'll post here again if I find anything. Good luck!

henryarb

FNG
I need the same thing. Have you figured anything out? I have wifi broadcast over about 60 acres and I want a few cams to connect through my wifi (not directly to my phone from 20 ft). I see suggestions here about Arlo and Eufy. I used to have an Arlo setup at the house and the cameras connected to a home-base extender thing and not simply to my wifi network. Maybe that's changed?? I just read the same thing about Eufy. Apparently very cool cameras, but they have to be within 40 ft of the homebase to use wifi. Otherwise they store onboard and you have to go get the card, just like any other cam. I'll post here again if I find anything. Good luck!
Looks like I was wrong. Eufy SoloCam can be setup anywhere you have a wifi signal. You only have to have them near the homebase if you are using the homebase for local storage of huge amounts of videos and images. Same seems to be true of Reolink cams. And both Reolink and Eufy have solar options so you can just leave the camera out there potentially for years.

Just use wifi security cams. We have a few on our property and they do what we want them to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro