Why do some prefer angled over straight?

Jaker_cc

WKR
Like the title says, what are some of the advantages and disadvantages of both? Why do some people like straight over angles and vice versa? Is it strictly personal preference?

Think it’s more of a personal preference but each have there place. I have had both but ultimately settled on straight. If I only hunted mountainous terrain I would stick with angled but since I do a fair amount of Midwest hunting and scouting with a window mount in the truck I have come to like my straight more than the angled. With that being said I know plenty of Midwest guys who use angled and love em.... prolly not much help just my 2 cents

264win

WKR
For myself,
Straight is better for carrying in a pack and easier to point in the right direction.
Angled is better for lots of stationary glassing. You can cover a lot more ground without moving and it’s easier to get in a comfortable position behind the scope.

If you glass primarily uphill, angled is more comfortable.
If you glass primarily down hill or out the window of your truck, straight is the way to go.
If you glass primarily flat ground it goes to whatever is most comfortable.

I have had both. I much prefer angled. It is easier on the neck to look down into the scope. Angled allows me to keep the tripod lower to the ground- this can help in windy situations. Ability to rotate the scope also makes covering more ground from one position easier. .02

Pro953

WKR
I went from straight to angled and prefer angled most of the time as it’s more comfortable FOR ME when glassing hours on long sits.

The downsides. When trying to swap between binos to spotter when I want a closer look, it takes a lot longer to adjust the tripod height and acquire the target when switching between the two. If you hunted with others I would just have one use bino and other use spotter but I hunt alone so not a option.

Target acquisition is harder on angle is a bit tougher but you get used to it after a while.

I do like that the rotating collar on some angled spotters it allows you to cover more area without changing positions. That can be helpful at time to minimize some movement and stay comfortable.

If you glass with binoculars a lot. Sit down and just think about what would be more comfortable for you. If you like to stand and glass, I would think straight would be better, I am always sitting so cannot say for sure though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EastMT

WKR
Angled you can use a shorter tripod, easier on the neck looking uphill. Straight is nice for road trips if using a window mount as the angled sits lower and the mirror is in the way if you have big mirrors. I like to stop n scope animals when fishing and always take one with me.

I have yet to be begin to procrastinate.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Angled is much more comfortable to use for any extended period of time

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

I just bought a Atholon angled spotter (65 mm) and found it to be very comfortable and easy to use. I'm just shy of 6'3" and about 200 lbs if that means anything. I live in a canyon too and looking uphill from my deck is a pain in the ass with a straight spotter (feels like I have to lay down).

jhm2023

WKR
Majority of my hunting that requires a spotter is in the mountains so I prefer an angled spotter. I spend most of my time looking up or glassing from one spot for hours at a time and the angle allows more comfort, less moving and the ability to set the tripod short. The only real down side I have found is once I move in close to an animal to do final judging, count rings, look at horn tips, etc. and I am a similar or higher elevation it is more difficult to keep a low profile so I don't get seen. Rotating it helps but requires more moving when your up close and scanning through a band of rams or something.

straight is much easier when switching from tripod mounted binos to spotter. i can't count how many times i've lost track of a deer while having to lower the tripod to accomodate an angled spotter.

I glass a lot on my ass and looking up the mountain, I also like how an angled scope can be turned. There is a learning curve with using one but after that it's pretty dang nice!

I use a straight in my truck and angled in the field.