Why are bullets frequently found just under the hide on the opposite side?

Maverick1

WKR
@cnelk's question: "Why are bullets frequently found just under the hide on the opposite side?"

Answer: Because that's where they stop -> "'I can only explain it to you, I can't understand it for you'"

---------
---------
---------

Caseknife

Lil-Rokslider
I've shot nothing but Barnes TSX and TTSX for well over 20 years and I would say that half of my shots have ended up under the off side hide on elk and those have all been 150 yrds or less. The bullet expended all the energy inside the animal and hit the "trampoline" hide.

The Guide

WKR
It has more to do with pressure and how a physical body is designed to stand up to pressure. If you blow up a balloon and slowly insert a long needle into it, you will find that the needle easily passes through the first side but is much more difficult to pass through the second side to exit the balloon due to the way forces are distributed.

Jay

180ls1

WKR
Okay. I have thought about it.

Since it’s not complicated, How much does the hide have to stretch before the bullet breaks through?

I have a video of a 225eldm entering a hard quartering away buck. I was amazed how big the "temporary dent" was the bullet made as it pushed in. It by no means "cut" its way in.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Careful, the arrow may snap before it punctures.
The force meter I bought has some different screw on attachments I am going to use. Probably thread some stuff for it too.

Making the contraption to hold the hide in a repeatable way is going to take the most time, I think. Gonna be simple, 2 wood frames and screw them together. But, make them in such a way that it completely traps the hide and doesn’t let anything slide. I think one larger than the other so they nest inside each other. So it is stretched like a drum.