Whose purchased a Virginia Elk lottery?

That’s the one I’m talking about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Then you should know it wasn't an accident...he had trial cams photos b4 season and was aware they were around...not like it just ran by out of the blue while he was sitting on stand.

fatlander

WKR
Then you should know it wasn't an accident...he had trial cams photos b4 season and was aware they were around...not like it just ran by out of the blue while he was sitting on stand.

In the grand scheme of things it’s an accident. There was 1 elk he was aware of, the one he killed. There’s no herd that that’s ventured off the 3 county management zone, just one young bull that ventured off to feel his oats last September and never returned.

Furthermore, he was deer hunting and got a cell camera update that the bull was on the other side of the farm. He got down and ran over there and killed him. That’s not an elk hunt, that’s a deer hunt that accidentally turned into a dead elk.

Sure, you can legally kill elk anywhere in Virginia other than that zone, but you’ve got a better chance of killing rams every year in the unlimited units. There’s at least sheep there…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

EdP

WKR
I think it is a smart strategy by VDWR to limit the elk to the restoration area. The same strategy has worked well for Ky where the elk reintroduction occurred at least a decade earlier. I don't particularly like that the bull was killed with the aid of a cellular trail cam, but from a wildlife management standpoint it makes no difference how the animal was taken so long as it was legal.

fatlander

WKR

1 elk

Hunter knew about the bull for 6 total days. He got the first picture of him on Halloween.

While deer hunting west side of his farm, he got another cell cam pic of the bull around 520 PM on 11/6.

Runs to the other side of farm and kills him before dark (650 PM).

Pretty out of the blue the way this bull was killed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalko

Last edited:
Made our donation. Applied and bought my kids a chance. Probably better odds playing powerball. While I appreciate the lower cost of entry I feel like they left a lot of money on the table with such a cheap application and tag cost.

Jacack

WKR
i shot a cow in va many years ago before they were introduced these where elk that made there way from Ky and know two other guys that had. most of the ones that end up shot on a whitetail tag are taken on private ground and wernt talked about much., it used to happen more than you think .

i lived in abingdon for 8 years, the old guys from out in the coal fields knew where to find them from time to time

Applied and struck out... If anyone drew and needs some extra eyes for scouting or help packing out, let me know - I'd be happy to help.