Who’s running alpaca socks? Durability?

Muskykris

Lil-Rokslider
So I got put onto alpaca socks this fall from a local alpaca farm making claims about wearing them for 20-30 days without washing.
I tested a thin pain on my September moose hunt… I went 11 days on the same pair, feet felt awesome with zero odour.

In December I was doing deer drives and I ended up going over my gaiters in a frozen marsh, I was sure by the feel of my feet the rest of the day my gaiters some how kept the water out of my crispies, not the case… once I took my boots of at camp I then realized my feet had gotten wet.

Only down side I’m seeing to these socks are possibly durability. The thin socks seemed to lose original shape, but didn’t seem to be an issue.

The brand I tested was Frog Creek and if I remember right they are high in alpaca content 70-75%. Both the thick and thin ones did everything well.

Let me know what your experience is

Agross

WKR
Watching, I have tons of merino from testing all kinds, but have wondered about alpaca . Really want to try some

Last edited:

Recondo

FNG
So I got put onto alpaca socks this fall from a local alpaca farm making claims about wearing them for 20-30 days without washing.
I tested a thin pain on my September moose hunt… I went 11 days on the same pair, feet felt awesome with zero odour.

In December I was doing deer drives and I ended up going over my gaiters in a frozen marsh, I was sure by the feel of my feet the rest of the day my gaiters some how kept the water out of my crispies, not the case… once I took my boots of at camp I then realized my feet had gotten wet.

Only down side I’m seeing to these socks are possibly durability. The thin socks seemed to lose original shape, but didn’t seem to be an issue.

The brand I tested was Frog Creek and if I remember right they are high in alpaca content 70-75%. Both the thick and thin ones did everything well.

Let me know what your experience is
Like you I always had better luck with the Alpaca socks that were between 70% and 80% alpaca and the remaining of merino wool. They are very durable and last for months. I don’t recommend wearing the same socks for multiple days in a row. But, as the old saying goes “you have to do what you have to do”

OP
Muskykris

Muskykris

Lil-Rokslider
Like you I always had better luck with the Alpaca socks that were between 70% and 80% alpaca and the remaining of merino wool. They are very durable and last for months. I don’t recommend wearing the same socks for multiple days in a row. But, as the old saying goes “you have to do what you have to do”
Ya I just did the 10 day thing as an initial experiment. I’ve got a bunch of pairs now so they will get swapped regularly

donald_pomerleau

Lil-Rokslider
I have been using altera alpaca for a few years now. I have the light medium and heavy pairs. (Forget the terms they use) love em. Wouldn’t use anything else. I personally never use my darn tough merino socks at all anymore besides work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

idahodave

WKR
Don't have the socks, but picked up a hat of Alpaca wool last year and I consider it the greatest beanie of all time...it's really not up for debate.

Dave

idahodave

WKR

Its so deadly, I recommend only wearing it during hunting season for the safety of your neighbors. This is all from a single hunting season. IDFG will probably outlaw it at some point due to the lethal nature of said beanie.

Attachments

• 60FD6152-74B9-4CEC-BB30-A1DD010BDA4C.jpeg
    60FD6152-74B9-4CEC-BB30-A1DD010BDA4C.jpeg
    426.7 KB · Views: 99
  • C21A1314-E490-4084-B671-F30CA364A1DA.jpeg
    C21A1314-E490-4084-B671-F30CA364A1DA.jpeg
    512.3 KB · Views: 102
  • F67A8ACA-0BF7-4FCB-86FC-CE40235DA42C.jpeg
    F67A8ACA-0BF7-4FCB-86FC-CE40235DA42C.jpeg
    728.1 KB · Views: 104
  • 3EF32824-188D-4F4B-B4F7-F93FD831D090.jpeg
    3EF32824-188D-4F4B-B4F7-F93FD831D090.jpeg
    777.5 KB · Views: 101

pirogue

WKR
From where?
I’m not the poster of your copy, but I was going to reply X2. I got my hat from Alpacas of Montana. Now as far as alpaca socks, I’ve worn and washed a few times and am pleased so far with socks from Alpacas of Montana, also. I will say the alpaca content in the socks is maybe 46% or so, not as high as mentioned above.

Agross

WKR

Its so deadly, I recommend only wearing it during hunting season for the safety of your neighbors. This is all from a single hunting season. IDFG will probably outlaw it at some point due to the lethal nature of said beanie.
That’s a good year! I totally get that as I used to have a lucky merino sweater that I got a lot of great animals and fish wearing it. My wife without telling me threw it out . My life has never been the same. Quick question though, and then I’ll be done sidetracking this thread. U got a big noggin? The reason I ask, I do, and it seems like beanie style hats alway rise up above my ears, or are just too small/short to begin with. The hats are actually on sale right now .

idahodave

WKR
I do have a pretty big melon. I wear a 7 1/4 hat for fitted ball caps. The hat has plenty of stretch to it. It’s like the best wool hat you’ve ever worn…but better. Warmer, but also more breathable if hiking. Doesn’t hold odor either. Just fantastic all the way around. I ordered two more as soon as I used it afield for the first time just so I was covered for the future.

dave

BT_707

FNG
I wore a pair on a Montana mule deer hunt for a day. (I was switching between others) Can’t speak to durability, but they were very comfortable and warm. They were generics off of Amazon. 3pk 20 bucks.

Agross

WKR
I do have a pretty big melon. I wear a 7 1/4 hat for fitted ball caps. The hat has plenty of stretch to it. It’s like the best wool hat you’ve ever worn…but better. Warmer, but also more breathable if hiking. Doesn’t hold odor either. Just fantastic all the way around. I ordered two more as soon as I used it afield for the first time just so I was covered for the future.

dave
Good call on the beanie! That thing is the cats pajamas. Fits great and extremely comfy.

Agross

WKR
They have their socks on sale now so I figured I’d try a couple pair finally to see if I like em.

I love my alpaca stuff. My parents had a small herd after they retired and they were part of a fiber co-op so I had lots socks and sweaters. Definitely an awesome fiber. The socks are incredible but they will shrink drastically if you launder them like merino blends. I just kept them separate and line dried. I’ve still got 10 year old pairs.

Haven't used them a ton so far, but I just picked up a pair of Altera midweight alpaca socks. Think they call the model Prevail. My Darn Tough merino are more comfortable. But, the alpaca socks definitely seem to keep my sweaty feet slightly warmer and slightly drier. Can't comment on the durability long term, but they seem well made.