Who's dunnit

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
About 5 years ago, I sat glassing in the sagbrush near the top of a 9000 foot mountain. Probably sat for an hour then got cold, so I walked back to the horse about 1/2 mile upslope. Glassed another hour then mounted up and rode about an hour down the mountain toward camp then thought "oh +@(&!," where's my rifle!

Took an hour to get back and lots of passes in the sagebrush before cut my tracks then found the gun, whew!!!

So how many have left his weapon behind and how long to find it?

Anyone dare admit he never found it?

I have been guilty of losing or leaving behind binos, releases, and clothes. Somebody should trail me. My wife handed me my knife after we got back to the truck this weekend. I didn't even notice it was gone. Apparently it fell out of my pocket...it happens.

VANDAL

WKR
Never left a rifle on a mountain...yet.

2 years ago I did find a really nice 357 ruger pistol while shed hunting though.

Lukem

WKR
Left my Sitka Celsius (I think) hat on the mountain last year. Climbed about 1300' and spent about 4 hours looking for it. I love that hat.

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
In 2009 on a mule deer hunt, I had a friend bring my pack down to where I shot my deer, the small pocket was unzipped with my BRAND NEW iPhone in it. Got back down to base camp and and said uh oh. I hiked up there the next day and spent 3 hours combing the ground, it was in a wilderness area in nevada and obviously no service. I found it though!

My uncle lost his golden ring spotter, and tripod in an aspen thicket 1/4 mile from there last year along with a jacket. He blew out his knee and was 200 yards downhill from there when he realized what happened, unfortunately for him, he physically go back up there to look for it. There was 1.5" of snow too so I think it wouldn't have been too hard.

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
My brother and I drove to Missouri on a snow goose hunt, he left his shotgun at home. Hehe.

Hoytnut

FNG
I've dunnit. I was bebopping down the trail out of the highcountry in CO making good time and stopped for a break. After a quick drink and something to eat I popped up and kept moving. About fifteen minutes later I thought to myself something was wrong. Sure enough some was terribly wrong - I had left my bow at my resting spot. I knew there was likely no one else around and the bow was safe, but nevertheless, I was very relieved when I spotted it resting against a large tree after a quick charge up the steep trail :)

I lost a pair of Swarovski 10X42 binos near Gunnison Colorado in some rolling sage without a lot of features. I thought I could narrow it to about a football field size area where they would be. My three youngest sons were with me and I offered a reward to who ever found it. We went back and combed the area about 5 yards apart from each other. Finally one of the boys spotted them. I bought each of them a really nice hunting knife of their choice on the way home from the hunt.

Curtis C

WKR
Never a rifle or bow but more than a few pieces of my gear has been left on the mountains(radio, release, bugles, knifes, etc). I made myself get into the habit of spinning while looking around before I leave a spot that I have stopped at or taken my pack off. I even do this on bike rides or local hikes.

C

Foldem

WKR
I left a nice beretta xtrema (shotgun) against my front tire and drove off from a public hunting area in Monte Vista, CO. I didn't realize I had until I was back at my inlaws place in Salida the next morning. I called the Sheriff's office and a deputy swung by and found my gun laying in the parking lot right where I had left it. There were 3 trucks in the parking lot when the officer got there, but lucky for me my gun is camo so nobody saw it. That was lucky. Besides that I think I've lost about 3 hoochie mamas and a few gloves.

outdoor hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Glassing as a teenager I shot my first buck and was so excited I ran towards the buck and threw off my binos. Remembered when we got back to camp. Never did find em

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitebeard