Who's driving a 300k+ mileage rig

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I have two nearing the 300k mark: my 1989 Toyota xtracab 4x4 3.0L, and my 2001 F-350 7.3L. As for problems, one night this past elk season my buddy and I get in the Toyota and it's getting cold. The windshield is already starting to frost and it's all fogged up inside. So I turn on the defroster and........nothing. Blower isn't blowing any air at all on any setting. This pickup has been so flawless in 34 years that I seriously said "I have no idea what to do........I've never had a problem with it".

By the time we got off the 4wd trail and on the highway, I also noticed that the tach wasn't working either, then my buddy noticed that none of the gauges were working. I figured it was a fuse, and when I got back to camp I pulled out the book and saw a fuse listed for "gauges", and sure enough it was blown. That fixed the blower as well, and then the world was spinning correctly again. Besides routine maintenance, my F-350 has been pretty flawless as well.

2001 f250 with a 7.3 powerstroke. 3rd owner at work🤣 has 408,000 miles and still running strong. Has had the list of usual 7.3 repairs but overall the truck has been really solid. On its 3rd transmission but the engine hardly uses any oil and while a little tired feeling, still runs great. We are religious with maintenance at work though, being on a farm we need it. Lots of vehicles over the 300k mark and while they’re beat up, they keep on running!

ODB

WKR
My 02 Tundra is 235k. Have no doubt it will easily hit 350K. It sounds like a sewing machine.

harge57

Lil-Rokslider
07 silverado 1500 has 240k.

One major repair. New transmission at 160k after pulling a 7k lbs trailer all over the rockies.

Just can't swallow the price of new trucks.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

08 Chevy 1500 4x4 with the 4.8L with 315k. The electric locks quit at about 30k
Front driver side hub went out at 60k, got a new set of plugs at about 200k, front end wear parts and ujoint at about 225k, and I think I’m on my 3rd battery.
I’m not the least bit diligent with maintenance. I do change the oil like I should, even tho I’ve about ran it out of oil 3 times (none on the dipstick). I like to give things a chance to fix themselves. The AC quit blowing at about 80k so I just left it on and wide open then 2 years later it just started working and hasn’t stopped. I think every warning light it has has been on for the last 250k. Oh and the drivers seat needs new foam. No smoke, no noise and it’s never hesitated to start.

I wouldn’t give this truck up for anything.

Frugal......not cheap. If we were just "cheap" we would all have Isuzu's.

It's not even that for me - I can have a lot of fun for the $750-$1000 monthly note on a new truck that is only good to look at!

I'm hanging on to my 09 for a while. Paid 23K for it in 2015 with only 55k miles. Those deals don't exist any more.

2002 Silverado 1500 5.3 V8, 340,000 on original engine and tranny. Has been run hard hauling 28ft+ boats and horse trailers and plowing snow, but no major issues. Redid the u joints around 330,000, just replaced most of the HVAC system, and has the Chevy clunk but still clipping along.

Wallace

Lil-Rokslider
2003 Land Cruiser, right around 295k miles. Nothing major, just routine oil changes, tires, and I changed the timing belt and water pump when it's called for (100k miles).

I'd have no qualms about jumping in it right now and driving across the country.

dtrkyman

WKR
I am only at 190k with my 2013 grand cherokee, so I am a light weight on this thread! No major repairs and has only failed to start once, starter went at 170ish k. I bought it new.

robtattoo

WKR
'97 f250 with the 7.3 Powerstroke.
385,000+ & still running like a sewing machine (although she's started leaking a little oil from warped heads) rebuilt transmission at around 200k & replaced ancillaries as & when they need.
She rattles like a bucket of bolts, the heater only works in the summer & the AC seems to have a mind of its own, but damn if it isn't the comfiest chair i own. I'll get around to putting a crate motor in sometime in the next 5 or six years, I reckon. If she needs it.

OP
Idaho4x4Bronco
Interesting turn of events today while at work, I had asked my old man to go look at a truck for me near his house, and he offered to hand me down his for free. It has something like 200-230k on it but been in the family since 60k or so miles.

Guess we'll see if I can make the old girl last at least to 350k :)

wapitibob

WKR
99 f350 7.3 CC
stellar vehicle, no rattles

clutches x 2
front ball joints x 3
glow plugs and injectors at 377,000
injection pressure control sensor x 2
glow plug relay x every cpl years
heater fan
brakes x 2

just before I sold it:
brake rotors
radiator
carrier bearing
fuel pump ($80)
fuel pressure spring
rebuilt rear end (showing wear)
axle seals while they were there

2.JPG

Last edited:

MJB

WKR
2001 GMC Sierra has 440K it's done won't pass smog looked into a newer engine but the body is rusting.

I have a Honda accord that i put a 55k mile used engine and it will bark the tires now.