Who will shoot a cow elk this year?

Cow or Bull?

• Cow

• Bull only

Results are only viewable after voting.

Chief23

FNG
Won't hesitate at all to take a cow this year. Love the taste of pressure-cooked elk. Hopefully it's a tasty two-year-old.

bpitcher

FNG
Couple buddies and I have some cow tags in NM this year. Looking forward to it!

After three years in a row of hunting bulls and going 2 out of 3, I’ve got me a cow tag this year. I’ve enjoyed the bull meat very much, but can’t wait to harvest another cow. Any elk is good IMO for sure!

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Lots of "if's" for me. I'm going on my buddy's draw archery hunt first. If he kills a bull before ML is over, then my daughter has a ML cow tag to fill. If she shoots a cow, and "if" I get an OTC tag after her hunt, then I'll hold out for a bull. If she doesn't shoot one, then I'll shoot whatever I get a shot at first. And if she doesn't hunt during ML or doesn't shoot one with that tag, then there's always the later rifle seasons she can hunt as well.

Dave_

Lil-Rokslider
I usually say if I'm down to the last 2-3 days of the hunt and things have been slow I'll take a cow. But honestly if it's a real easy packout she's probably going down and I'll just hunt with/call for my buddy the rest of the trip. I love bugleing bulls but at the end of the day I want to fill my freezer.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

wytx

WKR
Hope to get both , for the both of us. We have unlimited cow licenses so might try for a couple of cows each and a bull.

bz_711

WKR
Bull Only this year as my tag says so. Other years with ES I would have taken a cow. Skipped my first shot ever off a cows back...since then I've passed cows twice when I had better tags...but would have always taken a cow in OTC or 0 point unit.

My experience tells me it's far easier to get closer with archery to a bull than a cow...like maybe a 10:1 ratio of bull encounters to cow in archery range.

Gerbdog

WKR
Im gonna hold for a bull ... i may regret it .... i'd like to fill the freezer for sure this year cause next year i think i'm gonna be focused on Mulies with friends ..... That said.... i'd probably take a cow that last week .... assuming i even have the chance.

Slick8

Lil-Rokslider
Cow tag is what I have so I'm a little one sided on that decision.

If I had an either sex it would be hard to punch a cow tag and would have to be a game time decision based on how the hunt was unfolding. Bird in the hand and all... :)