Who hunts alone?

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Many times in the past I have hunted Mt. quail and chuckar in the hills of Ca. by myself. I was at time many miles from anywhere, ten to thirty mile. I look back on those days and realize, if I have fallen and broke my leg or ankle, or got hit by a rattle snake I would have been in serious trouble. Why I enjoyed doing it, I look back and think maybe that wasn't't such a good idea. My wife always new where I was hunting and if I was not back at a given time and had not contacted her she was to notify Kern County sheriff.

Meshnasty

Lil-Rokslider
I hunt 75%+ by myself.

Now that we have young kids my wife can’t hunt or come with as much as she used to.

I’m hoping in a few years my oldest wants to come with more.

I don’t like hunting with people that piss and moan about any hardship or won’t go the extra mile. That leaves my wife and two buddies who don’t live in the same state as me.

Last edited:

Plainsman79

Lil-Rokslider
I’m about 95% alone while scouting and hunting and I don’t really mind. I picked up a Zoleo last year and that seemed to give the wife some piece of mind.

dtrkyman

WKR
Mostly solo. Blessing and a curse, sucks at down times but not an issue on the hunt, makes planning soooo easy!

Most guys would not commit to a hunt so I quit asking!

Fordguy

WKR
Most of the time I hunt alone, but not through preference. Its tough to find new hunting partners who share my philosophies. When and where I grew up I had several friends who were good, reliable, safe hunting partners. Having moved away and approaching middle age I find that it's a lot more difficult to find even a single new hunting partner of the same calibre.

So all of my family lives in Utah except for me. I’m curious how many of you hunt alone versus hunt in a group. I feel like I’m going to end up having to hunt alone at times if I want to hunt, but it makes me a little nervous for safety reasons.
I hunt a lot by myself. It definitely took some getting used to it in the back country. I hunt with a couple guys when I can. Now that my son is starting to hunt planning on taking him also.

Either alone or with my dog. Wouldn’t have it any other way. My dog doesn’t argue with me over how to play the wind or when to move camp.
Always thought about taking my lab along,but worried about her getting hurt or her blowing a stock.

About 75% solo for me. That's the only way I can hunt as much as I want. If I always waited for someone to go I'd miss out on a lot of opportunity and great adventures!