Whitetails in Wyoming/Colorado

jimmy33

WKR
Having grown up hunting mostly mule deer, i have been looking at using my points to hunt whitetail in these 2 states. I am just looking for general info about public land units and areas that would be worth checking out. I will be rifle hunting. Please just PM if you have any info you are willing to share as I dont want to be the reason areas get blown up.

Thanks,

Jim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whitetails tend to hang out in the river bottoms in Wyoming from my experience. Which is mostly private land, again from what I’ve seen. Best advice I’d have is to make some calls or knock on some doors. The public stuff that is available gets hammered by local hunters. Good luck!

Titan_Bow

WKR
How many points you got? I know the one big river bottom public unit in Colorado can be decent, but it amazes me how many points it takes to pull a rifle tag there. I used to pull this unit every year then every other year, now it’s every 3 or 4 for archery, and I think it’s upwards of 20 points for rifle? My son shot a good buck in here a few years ago, but we had several groups of bird hunters and other archery deer hunters bumping into us. Not sure in Colorado anyways, you can avoid crowding anymore.

cd3f0521a102242beb51019caab91e39.jpg

OP
jimmy33

jimmy33

WKR
How many points you got? I know the one big river bottom public unit in Colorado can be decent, but it amazes me how many points it takes to pull a rifle tag there. I used to pull this unit every year then every other year, now it’s every 3 or 4 for archery, and I think it’s upwards of 20 points for rifle? My son shot a good buck in here a few years ago, but we had several groups of bird hunters and other archery deer hunters bumping into us. Not sure in Colorado anyways, you can avoid crowding anymore.

cd3f0521a102242beb51019caab91e39.jpg

I dont have that many points in colorado for sure. Sounds like I need to save up a few more years

OP
jimmy33

jimmy33

WKR
Whitetails tend to hang out in the river bottoms in Wyoming from my experience. Which is mostly private land, again from what I’ve seen. Best advice I’d have is to make some calls or knock on some doors. The public stuff that is available gets hammered by local hunters. Good luck!

Thats mainly what I was curious about. I wanted to see if there are any populations in the mountains in these states. Where I hunt in washington, idaho, and montana, I hunt them in the mountains. Thats really the type of hunt I am looking for.