Whitetail System on a budget

Mtn_Nomad

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys. So I'm already beginning to prep for next fall and I'm in need of a new clothing system. I had mostly high end gear but sold it as it no longer fit. I have early season taken care of but needing advice on mid to late season. I mainly hunt in North Georgia so temp wise 20s is usually as cold as it gets but with high humidity it feels much colder especially with a breeze. I rarely hunt close to a road and the terrain can be pretty gnarly so it's not like I'm walking 50 yards to a ladder stand. Most kills require a pack-out.

I'd rather spend as much money on time off and travel as possible but don't want to be stuck in jeans and a cotton shirt so I'm trying to find a middle ground on pricing. Any advice on solid gear that can be had without spending an entire seasons budget on one jacket? Appreciate all the help!

TN2shot07

WKR
If you are having to hike in look for some kind of shell jacket that will be quiet enough and then a puffy layer that you can take on/off as the midlayer with temps.

Same thought with pants, find something decent that will work outside. A solid base layer and something like a pair of wader pants that you can slip on as a midlayer when you need additional insulation.

Almost all the big companies have good sales if you’re patient. I’ve used Drake and natural gear with good luck before I upgraded some pieces.

shader112

Lil-Rokslider
Midway merino midweight base layers are awesome and good price when you can find them in stock on sale.

Darntough heavyweight socks

Rogers sporting goods has Rogers brand stuff that is quality, warm, and good prices and they will have sales going on often from here until fall.
They have a tech vest that is crazy warm and can be had for 50 bucks on sale

Wrangler has some stretchy lightweight pants that are great and cheap

Sportsmans guide has cheap rain gear that I use for wind breaker or extra insulation, as I always have it with me incase of rain or snow. Mine has seen some abuse and is going strong

The sitka heavyweight hoody is my favorite article of clothing. Super warm and wicks moisture. Can be found in the classifieds for cheap, i got mine used for $50

jlw0142

Lil-Rokslider
I also do lots of whitetail hunting in GA, so I know what you mean about temps. I have recently gotten some Sitka gear that I really like for the hiking aspect due to its breathability, but that can break the bank quickly. I am a fan of Blocker gear. Very affordable stuff, but pretty quality in my opinion. I have never had issues with their stuff, but I don't have any of their newer stuff. They recently have released some really good-looking outerwear pieces, but I haven't tried them yet. Nomad is about as good as it gets for where we hunt, in my opinion. It's not going to break the bank, but it is incredibly good quality and innovative gear! Two honorable mentions are also Drake and Duck Camp. Both on the higher end of price, but Duck Camp makes some button-downs that I love and Drake's Nontypical line is pretty perfect for GA whitetail hunting in my opinion. I know I just gave you a lot of info at once, but it really all comes down to preference. I would just suggest trying to stick with one camo and not mix and match; I think that can make a difference.

For bow hunting:

I’d go with a light weight synthetic outer layer for days it’s cool but not cold. I like the Kuiu windpro for that application. Or, a gen Iii military fleece. I’d go with the Kuiu proximity for those 20 degree days. That’s all you need for your outer layer on top.

My pants are always going to be wool. In those temps a light pair of military issue wool trousers work awesome. Pair it with any baselayer material and you’ll stay warm. Pair it with merino bottoms and you’ll stay cool when that 20 degree morning turns into high 50’s too. I much prefer merino for my bottom insulation.

My only advice for top base layers is it’s best to wear both materials on top. Polyester wicking is ‘da bomb. If you sweet it up, sliding that heavier polyester layer and a merino on top, with a vest or jacket that breathes over it, will literally bake that sweet right off you in no time. You’ll be toasty warm instead of clamy cold.

The base layers above and my chosen outer layer is what I’ve found works best for what you described. I hunt the same type areas and it’s taken me a couple years to get this down.

Puffys are great but, they do not breathe at all. (Minus the Kuiu kenai. But, it’s not whitetail stand warm either. Save the money for better baselayers.) Anyways, I no longer carry puffys unless I intend to set all day in the same spot and I’m rifle hunting. Taking them off and on as you move and set sucks if you move much at all. Or as you hunt. It’s just not my thing for bow hunting. But, a nice fleece vest will put the cool system into the upper fringes of your cold gear. While being much more packable.

For rifle season here, I pack in and wear everything I’ve listed for cooler weather but, throw in a synthetic woobie I made. It’s light and super warm.

Temps here during rifle season might be 40. Or, it might get down to zero and stay in the single digits or teens where I hunt. And, that Woobie makes it all possible while not being bulked up.

I really like this whole system. But, as a whitetail bow hunter you need quiet and breathable. So, I’d shy away from merino top layers against your skin as they simply don’t dry well. Polyester does. It’s the best skin layer to choose anytime you have to have some protection while moving and when you know you are going to sweat. Then add insulation over it once on stand and it will bake the moisture right off you.

I hope this helped.

Glendon Mullins

Hillbilly Moderator
Staff member
If your wanting some whitetail clothing on a budget, I like Habit Outdoors. I have a jacket from them and it has done very well, I wouldn't hesitate to buy from them again.

Especially their "sale" section, you can get some smoking deals in there at times

I live and hunt whitetails in Northern Minnesota. I struggled to come up with budget clothing options for years for archery through muzzleloader. Best I came up with was got a decent backpack I clip my Cabelas Wooltimate jacket too and pack other layers inside pack. Walk in slow wearing wooltimate pants with a cheap polyester wicking base layer. When i get up in the tree i quietly get dressed. Occasionaly have to drop trousers to cool off for a minute before settling in. That part will change now that i bought a saddle.

If you’re seriously hunting the mountains, I recommend scraping by with whatever you have, and buying one high end piece on sale per year. Most people can afford to do that.
Highly recommend Sitka with Windstopper.
A stratus jacket would be my first recommendation, then the bibs.
Sitka without gore tex just seems overpriced to me, love cheap merino wool as well, good boots are a help as well.

You can buy middle of the road stuff but you’ll just replace it in five years anyway

If you’re just in north Georgia and not climbing the mountains, it probably doesn’t matter, lol

Forget puffy vests and such. You’re not hunting the mountains. For cold weather, purchase a heated vest as a mid-layer. It will keep you plenty warm.

Hey guys. So I'm already beginning to prep for next fall and I'm in need of a new clothing system. I had mostly high end gear but sold it as it no longer fit. I have early season taken care of but needing advice on mid to late season. I mainly hunt in North Georgia so temp wise 20s is usually as cold as it gets but with high humidity it feels much colder especially with a breeze. I rarely hunt close to a road and the terrain can be pretty gnarly so it's not like I'm walking 50 yards to a ladder stand. Most kills require a pack-out.

I'd rather spend as much money on time off and travel as possible but don't want to be stuck in jeans and a cotton shirt so I'm trying to find a middle ground on pricing. Any advice on solid gear that can be had without spending an entire seasons budget on one jacket? Appreciate all the help!
NE? NW? What county? Or counties?

Family is from Rabun county. I didn’t hunt much there (Bartow/Paulding/Floyd mostly), but a carhart jacket and some lightweight hiking jeans worked great. I got a pair of Magellan pants I bought at academy for $19.99 I still use to this past season. 11 hunting seasons worh them. 10
Of those in Alaska.

Are you stalking? Ground sitting?

OP
Mtn_Nomad

Mtn_Nomad

Lil-Rokslider
Family is from Rabun county. I didn’t hunt much there (Bartow/Paulding/Floyd mostly), but a carhart jacket and some lightweight hiking jeans worked great. I got a pair of Magellan pants I bought at academy for $19.99 I still use to this past season. 11 hunting seasons worh them. 10
Of those in Alaska.

Are you stalking? Ground sitting?
Small world! What's the last name?

I mostly hike in a few miles and hang a stand or sit on the ground. Only way I've found to stay pretty consistent seeing deer is to be fairly mobile

ERegs

FNG
Get one of these sweaters. Little goofy looking but who cares. Wore it in 7 degrees for all day sit multiple times. Would have made it without it. Just wear mid weight under it down to about 35-40. The wind will cut through it though. Not a tight knit sweater. Thorn bushes do tear it up a little bit still in good shape after 2 years. Might have to replace it every 5yrs(cheap enough to do so) or so depending on how rough you are but plenty of warm. https://www.amazon.com/Aran-Crafts-...uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

I've had good luck finding mid-layer and outer-layer clothes in thrift stores. I like to find anything wool for mid and base layers--doesn't matter about the color for me as long as it is drab. The one expensive item I like is the LL Bean Guide Pants; those combined with a good base layer are durable and perfect for long walks and winter sits in the mountains.

Honyock

WKR
If you look around, you can find the 2021 version of the Sitka Jetstream for $179. Probably the most versatile jacket I own. Also, watch the Rokslide classifieds and pick up used gear. I would rather have good secondhand gear rather than new cheap gear.

Check out the military surplus sites, not pricey and if you do some re-search a good combination of clothing can be had to get you through all kinds of temps and weather situations,