Whitetail stalking decoys

Hey guys, just wondering if anyone had a lot of experience using a decoy when hunting whitetails from the ground? I have done plenty of research and it seems like heads up and ultimate predator decoys are the 2 biggest brands but im not really sold on attaching the decoy right to my bow. Any input or other options out there? I might end up making something similar to the whitetail adrenaline guys if i can't find something i like.

Jermh

Lil-Rokslider
I bought an Ultimate Predator just last year so I don't have a ton of experience with it but I did kill a small 7 point that showed up to light rattling and then committed after seeing the decoy so that was pretty awesome. I will be continuing to use it this year once we get closer to end of October, it really is a ton of fun to use. Was not an issue having it mounted to my bow for the shot but if it was super windy it would definitely suck but it would be easy enough to take it off the bow and use it that way.

Aswob5

FNG
I’ve been carrying the Heads up Whitetail buck and Muley doe the last 8-10 years. What really helped in the wind was attaching the bow mount they make to a plastic electric fence post. I still have a bow mount on my bow but it’s only used in very few situations now. I really like look of the decoy the guys at whitetail adrenaline’s decoy and have thought of trying to replicate it but I just don’t think I can be as mobile as I want to be

WCB

WKR
I don't like stuff attached to my bow either. Whatever you choose figure out a good stake for sticking in the ground in needed and practice with it and try it in various ground types. Nothing more frustrating than trying to stake a decoy in while an animal is bombing in on you just to not be able to get the decoy to stand up or have a slight breeze nock it over at crunch time.

RCL

WKR
I really like the Heads Up.
Have mine mounted to a plastic fence post.
Check out their videos.

Dave0317

Lil-Rokslider
What scenarios do you plant to use it? For a light and packable mobile set up, I use a Montana Decoy doe rump. Gives them just enough to get curious and come one a bit closer usually. But, it is a separate item you stake out in front of you for a static ground setup.

Are you truly “stalking” whitetail?
I’ve killed some by still-hunting, even got within 25 yards of one on a true “spot and stalk” situation in the woods once. But, those opportunities are few and far between in the whitetail woods. At least for me. The leaves here are generally too crunchy to make it a primary plan. When it’s wet enough or when the wind makes some cover noise, it can work though.

OP
M
What scenarios do you plant to use it? For a light and packable mobile set up, I use a Montana Decoy doe rump. Gives them just enough to get curious and come one a bit closer usually. But, it is a separate item you stake out in front of you for a static ground setup.

Are you truly “stalking” whitetail?
I’ve killed some by still-hunting, even got within 25 yards of one on a true “spot and stalk” situation in the woods once. But, those opportunities are few and far between in the whitetail woods. At least for me. The leaves here are generally too crunchy to make it a primary plan. When it’s wet enough or when the wind makes some cover noise, it can work though.
I am looking at true decoy scenarios during the Iowa rut. One of my most productive spots is wide open ag land with waterways and small wood lots. I plan to use the decoy to bring mature bucks into range. I have had some success with setting up on the ground or cutting them off after spotting them but I would like to add a lightweight decoy to my arsenal.

WCB

WKR
I am looking at true decoy scenarios during the Iowa rut. One of my most productive spots is wide open ag land with waterways and small wood lots. I plan to use the decoy to bring mature bucks into range. I have had some success with setting up on the ground or cutting them off after spotting them but I would like to add a lightweight decoy to my arsenal.
IMO... if you are dedicating it to decoying I would not use a lightweight flat decoy. Have they worked for people sure but mature bucks as wary enough of a good 3d decoy in my experience I wouldn't trust one. Even more so if you are in a good travel type spot anyways.

I’ve had success with the heads up. Killed this buck with my bow using the heads up decoy

I haven’t lived in whitetail country for 4 years and won’t be making it back soon unfortunately. Have one for sale in the classifieds if interested.

Attachments

• 2D566038-2258-4886-9D4F-42BB24DBB6B7.jpeg
    2D566038-2258-4886-9D4F-42BB24DBB6B7.jpeg
    693.4 KB · Views: 14
OP
M
I’ve had success with the heads up. Killed this buck with my bow using the heads up decoy

I haven’t lived in whitetail country for 4 years and won’t be making it back soon unfortunately. Have one for sale in the classifieds if interested.
Thanks, ill keep that in mind. I am still on the fence but if i pull the trigger ill get ahold of you.

OP
M
IMO... if you are dedicating it to decoying I would not use a lightweight flat decoy. Have they worked for people sure but mature bucks as wary enough of a good 3d decoy in my experience I wouldn't trust one. Even more so if you are in a good travel type spot anyways.
Thanks and yes ive thought of that. The issue i have is I tend to move around a lot, especially during the rut when i am often spotting deer and going after them. For that reason, I think a lightweight decoy would work better for me.

Hunt260

FNG
I cant imagine a world in which these work very consistently. I think if a deer knows you’re there and you aren’t already in bow range you’re in trouble 99% of the time.

Aswob5

FNG
I cant imagine a world in which these work very consistently. I think if a deer knows you’re there and you aren’t already in bow range you’re in trouble 99% of the time.
I wouldn’t say they are meant for deer that already know that you are there. However we killed one 3 years ago that we had spotted bedded in crp. We lost him during the stalk and he bumped. In these situations we always have the heads up handy and the second he jumped 35 yards from us. I displayed it and it gave us enough time to get the shot off. I’m confident that deer would have been long gone if it wasn’t for the decoy. In other situations if the winds right and if I can get to within 100-125 yards and get him to see it. There’s a decent chance he’ll be on his way.

Dave0317

Lil-Rokslider
Agree, I think the best use of the decoy is when you are watching a larger feeding area or open woods and you just need to draw them a little closer, spark their curiosity to come your way.

Using it as a stalking aid or to completely fool one into thinking you are a deer I would see being a lot less successful.

OP
M
I think you guys could be suprised, especially on a big rutted up buck with a hot doe around. I was sneaking on a nice buck last year and he spotted me crouched in a fence line. He postured and came to about 75 yards before getting warry. I didn't get a shot but I'm hoping a decoy like this would help me seal the deal on a similar situation this year.

naternate

FNG
I really like the Heads Up.
Have mine mounted to a plastic fence post.
Check out their videos.

This is what I did. I did use a bolt with a knob that is easier for tightening than just a nut

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk