Whitetail pack for treestand transport+gear+meat hauler

What is everyone using to transport treestands on public land assuming you are going in deep enough to have to haul in gear and pack out meat? I have plenty of packs but was wanting something with back support like the TX5 Treestand suspension system or the XOP Gamma TS.
I currently have an XOP vanish XT with an old army molle shoulder strap system and lumbar piece and using tethrd one sticks. It works but it’s not ideal and is a lot of moving parts and straps. The packs I currently have are the XOP Striker evolution, tenzing 2220, SG x curve frame with solo pack, Sitka mountain hauler 6200, alps outdoorz pursuit, & a few other smaller packs.
I would love to use the TX5 with the striker evolution (probably my favorite pack) but the TX5 is sold out and I’m not so sure I can fit a deer in that size of a pack or attach game bags to it. I looked on stone glacier site but not sure if the frames can really be used with a tree stand without shredding it, it would be cool if they had a built in frame pack that expanded to fit the stand between the frame and pack. Most the other packs I’ve looked at seem to have capability to attach a stand to the very back of the pack but that will probably put strain on ya having the weight that far away from your body. Am I looking for something that does not exist? I’d gladly sell most of these for the perfect pack but I haven’t come across one yet. I am possibly going to get a lighter stand this weekend if there are any promos (either LWCG .75 or XOP Cold World.. but I’ll make another thread on that alone). Let’s hear your setups for going in deep with a stand and packing out meat.
0227dc75c55f4c9a119e9eff910dfe21.jpg

45bd085d5af133f5f7e640c027e2abab.jpg

a3fe03f510561017e87d57605cdeba72.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

snowynock

FNG
Preface this - my first harvest was with a guide who had a trailer hitch on a jeep which we dragged to said jeep for butcher.

This will be my 2nd season with no guide - didn't harvest last year - learned some lessons and getting back to it this year. This is a timberhawk pack that carries my saddle and platform, with rope I tie my climbing sticks onto the top handle of the pack(it's silent which is amazing). I have a Latitiude Saddle/climbing sticks and a XOP platform both fit snug in my pack.

I have a few options at my disposal. I have a pulley system that would allow me to hoist my harvest in the field to do the butchering and let me pack it out that way(I got all this gear based off a suggestion from a local hunter I'm good friends with). Said system is DIY involving a bunch of small parts. I also just got a harness system off amazon where I would just drag said deer out. I do a lot of manual labor and I do have to drag electrical cable so my body is adapt at that. I also have a hunting partner who'll help me out(and vice versa).

Attachments

• 20240826_183636.jpg
    20240826_183636.jpg
    323.3 KB · Views: 22
OP
TonySkyline
Preface this - my first harvest was with a guide who had a trailer hitch on a jeep which we dragged to said jeep for butcher.

This will be my 2nd season with no guide - didn't harvest last year - learned some lessons and getting back to it this year. This is a timberhawk pack that carries my saddle and platform, with rope I tie my climbing sticks onto the top handle of the pack(it's silent which is amazing). I have a Latitiude Saddle/climbing sticks and a XOP platform both fit snug in my pack.

I have a few options at my disposal. I have a pulley system that would allow me to hoist my harvest in the field to do the butchering and let me pack it out that way(I got all this gear based off a suggestion from a local hunter I'm good friends with). Said system is DIY involving a bunch of small parts. I also just got a harness system off amazon where I would just drag said deer out. I do a lot of manual labor and I do have to drag electrical cable so my body is adapt at that. I also have a hunting partner who'll help me out(and vice versa).

The pulley system is an amazing idea. I might try to configure something for that. I’ve got a nice setup with chains and all that jazz in the garage but I never even thought about how much of a pain it would be to butcher in the field without the deer hanging… I’ve hunted public before but this will be my first year really going in deep and will likely be headed to Ohio or PA and checking out some spots down there.

I use each of these in different scenarios.

Kifaru 14’r
Kifaru Duplex with Stryker
Kifaru Bikini with nomad and Sherman pocket

I just got a Kuiu Icon and need a smaller bag to go with it to try.

My 14’r is my most used pack for whitetail. It’ll hold a whole boned out deer but it’ll be heavy and not as comfortable as an external pack like the bikini or duplex but it would work on a short pack out or drag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
TonySkyline
I use the tx5 suspension system. He teamed up with latitude outdoors so will probably be for sale again soon through them.

It definitely has the best reviews out of all the suspension systems. I was thinking that with the stryker pack and bring some extra game bags to load on the treestand if I couldn’t fit it all. Multiple trips would probably be needed regardless but something along these lines sounds good. I just really like the idea of the treestand being closer to your back but also having that buffer to keep the metal off it.

OP
TonySkyline
Has anyone tried the LWCG treestand straps with the treestand waist support? I think this is the ticket. Listened to the Huntr podcast last night with Cody from LWCG and I think I’m going all in with the .75 which comes with the updated treestand straps, getting the waist support and then I can easily attach my xop striker on the back side of stand and it’ll carry on the seat of the stand. I can always bring a bigger pack out bag to leave in the truck like my Sitka mountain hauler and head back out with just that if I don’t see the buck die on sight and I’m going back in to track. Never even used that pack so idk maybe I’ll sell it and grab something else which is why I was trying to see if there is actually a pack that exists that does everything exceptionally but idk if that exists

Have you looked at the Kifaru Shape Charge? 2000 ci with multiple compression straps and molle. Add a panel (Sherman pocket) and I'm guessing you could easily pack in your gear and pack out game bags. For packs I use a Kifaru Doorgunner to carry in my saddle, sticks, platform, kill kit, first aid etc. It's a small pack but very strong with a number of attachment points (it still amazes me how much I can load this pack). They discontinued it, but If I were to buy again I'd get the Shape Charge for greater capacity. Tethrd also makes a nice looking pack now, the FAS Pack, 1600-1800 ci and covered in molle. Similar zipper set up to Shape Charge but with side compartments. For hauling meat I leave a jet sled in my truck. If you can hike out and back in and depending on how far you have to transport the deer the sled is great and keeps everything relatively clean. Sled and deer go right into truck and off to butcher.

Sounds like you're familiar with Tethrd (using their one sticks), have you considered trying a saddle? I had no intention to switch to a saddle until their catalog happened in my mailbox now I only use a saddle even from a hang on stand. It would certainly lighted your load.

Good luck!

OP
TonySkyline
ca479f5e477f2cb01334e18fe66a89b7.jpg

I may have just found what I was looking for. They actually have a stand with great specs for $350… almost half what I just paid for the .75! I’m guessing it’s overseas but I emailed them asking for more info. Anyone ever heard of nested treestands before? The steps look weird but look super stable.

I still have a stand with a set of shoulder straps on it, but TBH it makes it a pain in the ass to carry other gear, so I never use them. I have strapped it on the meat shelf but don’t like that - too wide. I usually just strap it to the outside of the pack and put the sticks on the meat shelf or below the pack.

My pop up 40 or pintler are fine, but any pack will do.

Kifaru tactical frame with a hellbender pack bag. Saddle and accessories in the expandable pocket, one stick lashed to the frame in the meat shelf. Works great. Plenty of room in pack bag for needed gear and food, and it’ll haul a whole deer in the load sling on the way out.

OP
TonySkyline
Just looked at the Kifaru maniml Pack on the ARK frame. That looks awesome but I'm not dropping that much for the frame when I already have an SG X curve setup and sitka pack. Ideally I maybe could move both and have 1 setup that can go out west and use here in the East for whitetail for hauling stands. I emailed that Nested company inquiring about the stand and pack. They are not sure if the pack will work with other stands (I probably would have looked into that before launch if I wanted to maximize sales) and they are designed tested, and built here but all parts are manufactured overseas.. Not sure exactly what that means but the price is not to steep so I kind of expected that. Regardless I ordered the LWCG .75 stand and also got the waist belt. Think I am going to test that out with the XOP stryker pack to see how it carries. If it is decent, Ill bring my sitka pack with me when going in deep and leave it in the truck and come back to grab it if I shoot a nice buck (fingers crossed).

Macintosh

WKR
I have padded shoulder straps that use a buckle to attach directly to a stand. I bungee a day pack onto the stand for clothes, harness, etc, but when using that I drag deer. If going far I use my saddle, which is way smaller and lighter than any stand. I have a mystery ranch popup 18 and 30 that I use for this. It would carry a stand no problem, the only issue would be how flat the seat folds. I have carried a full deer plus my stand and sticks in these packs, it works fine and carried that size load OK...it's not a big super-duty meat hauler, but its also day-pack size and 1/3 the price of the high-end meat-hauling packs.

OP
TonySkyline
I have padded shoulder straps that use a buckle to attach directly to a stand. I bungee a day pack onto the stand for clothes, harness, etc, but when using that I drag deer. If going far I use my saddle, which is way smaller and lighter than any stand. I have a mystery ranch popup 18 and 30 that I use for this. It would carry a stand no problem, the only issue would be how flat the seat folds. I have carried a full deer plus my stand and sticks in these packs, it works fine and carried that size load OK...it's not a big super-duty meat hauler, but its also day-pack size and 1/3 the price of the high-end meat-hauling packs.

I don’t think I could do the saddle thing. I’d be scared chitless the entire time. I’d be to nervous looking at the rope and making sure everything is functional to enjoy the hunt and I’m not great with heights (I do roof inspections for a living so I’ve been getting better with the heights but still not great). I’d try it but chances aren’t good I’d be comfortable enough to use it successfully, lol

Macintosh

WKR
Fair enough, but worth trying sometime—because you are leaning on your tether 100% of the time in a saddle as opposed to standing without direct physical support, it feels more secure to me, not less, so give it a shot if you get a chance and decide for yourself. It would make what you are looking for a LOT easier if it would work for you.

guitarpreston

Lil-Rokslider
Last year I used a terhrd fas pack and as you stated, the weight was concentrated as far from my back as it could get and I found that to be uncomfortable on my shoulders. I had a MR pop up 38 but didn’t care for the layout really (the new ones are interesting). Sold both and got a kifaru and it carries the weight like a dream. Currently using a 22 mag bag but tried a striker xl as well. For a lock on it may be a better option. Waist belts are your friend.

snowynock

FNG
The pulley system is an amazing idea. I might try to configure something for that. I’ve got a nice setup with chains and all that jazz in the garage but I never even thought about how much of a pain it would be to butcher in the field without the deer hanging… I’ve hunted public before but this will be my first year really going in deep and will likely be headed to Ohio or PA and checking out some spots down there.

Out at the in-laws this weekend. This is the pulley/hoist system I spoke of. First time trying it out. Super lightweight.

Attachments

• 17252087524694209695330874443718.jpg
    17252087524694209695330874443718.jpg
    600.9 KB · Views: 11