Whitetail hunt callers

Howler80

FNG
What's your favorite caller for big bucks
I like 'the can' what do you find works
Long range over terrain or field

primos can and the best sounding grunt call I've found is the flextone buck collector (this also makes a great snort wheeze)

Elkhntr08

WKR
I’ve got a grunt that was handmade by a fellow in Louisiana. Best tuned grunt I’ve ever had.

I honestly feel most hunters would be better off not using any type of call. The last couple seasons I have carried a grunt tube and hardly used it. I think in pressured areas (where most of us hunt) they spook more game than they attract. I'm sure some people have had incredible luck but that's not been my experience in 20 years of hunting...

PMcGee

WKR
I had a decent 9pt turn and high tail it out of there when I tried the can this year. It went in the fire that night. I’ve had young bucks come into the can that’s about it. I’ve had more luck with a grunt call. Sometimes they don’t come in but don’t ever remember one running away. I just have a Primos hardwood grunt nothing fancy. I usually only grunt when I see a buck and think I need to get him to come my way or if I’m sitting all day I’ll blind grunt a little.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Honyock

WKR
In my opinion, the can is about the equivalent of the Hootchie Mama for elk. Any deer or elk over the age of two has probably heard it way too many times. I've had a lot more success with rattling than trying to call a whitetail.

Grunt call or rattling. I've had the most luck with a grunt call. I've had deer 260 yards away completely change their trajectory and b line it over to me. I've seen them search for 30 minutes for the buck that made that grunt and get PO'd and start snort wheezing when they can't find it. I've also had them show such a lack of interest that I wondered if they even heard me. Mostly they stop and take notice for a minute and then continue on their way. I use it very sparingly. Mostly when a buck is out of range and isn't coming my way to begin with. In a situation like that, so long as I have not seen it spooking them, might as well try. Grunt calls work often enough that I'd be upset if I forgot to bring it with me on a hunt.

I bring a grunt tube with me every time I climb into a tree. But I probably only use it 1 in 20 sits. Has to be certain situation for me to let a buck know where I’m at. Mature bucks have heard everything. They can pin a sound to within 20ft.
I won’t use any other call to make sounds. Those cans work for young deer and that’s about it.

MrRogers

FNG
I've heard that mature bucks will just circle around of where they heard the call and come in from your downwind side. Has anyone had that happen before?

After more than 20 years in the deer woods, the grunt tube is my go-to. I use it alone and during rattling sequences to make them as "real" sounding as possible.

My next favorite is a snort wheeze, but I only use this on mature bucks that behave aggressively. I've tried it as a last resort on big boys that won't come in, and usually it spooks them off.

One thing I wish I'd used more frequently over the years is a decoy, even the 2D versions. I killed a nice buck 2 years ago that came right into a 2D decoy from several hundred yards away. He never took his eyes off it and gave me a perfect 8 yard bow shot.

fatlander

WKR
Less is more. Deer hunting is a wait and hope they walk by pursuit. Calling deer just isn’t reliable in most of the country. They’re too cagey.

I’ve had the best luck grunting at bucks during the rut, but that’s still very low percentage wise.

Decoys are magnets from Halloween to November 10th. If I had to pick one thing to bring bucks in, that would be it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bowhuntrben

Lil-Rokslider
The only call I've ever had much success with is just a rattle bag. One of the ones with wood blocks on the inside. I used to try grunting often enough and can't remember ever getting one to come to it. They look when I grunt but never came in. If I touched the rattle after that, they'd come running. Now I only use the rattle and really only during the rut, otherwise I just wait them out. I would probably see them anyway most of the time, but it is fun to rattle then have a buck show up in less than a minute looking!