Which week to hunt (archery – 2024)

Both timefrmes! Make it happen, somehow someway.

Not to add to your dilemma , but another thought to consider is as more time goes on, more bulls get killed. Less bulls later in the season and they are often “smarter” or better adapted to surviving.

For what its worth, timing has been something I observe but no longer count on.

I’ve been places where elk were screaming the season before only to find the rut all but non existent. I’ve also gotten into screaming bulls opening weekend.

I’m by no means an accredited killer, gotten serious the last few years and learned of hindsight lessons.

Define your success what’s: killing an elk a certain way ( calling, stalking, ambush), killing any elk, killing the biggest elk, etc. Plan to hunt according to your priorities and plan to have contingency planes according to your priorities.

Important factors to consider-

Are you hunting private land? If so how large?
Is this a draw or limited unit?
What is you main goal? Kill any elk or big trophy only?
Is this a guided hunt?

If you have access to a large tract of private land, or if this is a limited/draw unit and you want to kill the biggest bull I would tend to pick the later hunt dates.

If this is an open general hunt with all public access, and you want to kill a legal bull then I would go early and scout as much as possible before.

If guided, ask them! That’s what you pay them for.

ELKhunter60

Lil-Rokslider
Given those two options, I'd go early. I've hunted the last week of September in Colorado and had a good hunt but I hunted the last week of September in Montana about 3 years ago and won't do that again until I'm retired and have time to do whatever I want without worrying about draining vacation time. I was 6 miles from the trailhead too. Not a place that gets overrun with hunters. It was pretty slow. I hunted the first week last year in northern Wyoming and the bulls were doing some bugling. I will say however - the last week of September will definitely have less hunters. 80% of the folks that archery hunt elk do it all by the 3rd week of September - and most go for a week or a couple of weekends and then wait for firearm season before they go again.

bz_711

WKR
If I split the month of Sept in half...I'm leaning toward later over earlier nearly every time. I have shot a bull as early as Sept 10th but I'm not a fan of warm weather for elk hunting so temps alone make be want later in Sept.

But - If it works best for me or my group to hunt opening week...I'm all in...don't sweat it too much!

Good Luck!

Jaker_cc

WKR
I like the first two weeks north of Colorado. I’ve killed 3 bulls on Sept 8th and another on Sept 11th in Montana. I like to hunt elk before they are herded up too much and when I might catch an older bull cruising looking for cows. I also like to be the first person in there messing with them.

I’ve hunted later in Montana also, but found them herded up and tight lipped.

Option 2 - Better moon and usually cooler. Can you go Higher? 5k seems on the low side for that time of year.

wyodog

Lil-Rokslider
So many variables to consider here but I won't bother you with a long list. not sure which of those weeks I would pick for sure, the week between those weeks would likely be my first choice.

If the rut is at least decently strong the full moon won't be a big problem, however if the rut isn't pretty active the full moon days will likely have good mornings and long slow afternoons. I tend to like earlier for calling the bigger bulls where I hunt elk because it can be easier to call in a bull that isn't herded up with cows, plus a big herd of elk will often have small bull hanging around and those bulls will likely come in an may ruin a chance at the herd bull.

The late season can also have some benefits as well. If the rut is winding down bulls will be on the move looking for a late season cow. When this happens, he can be easier to get on to. I've seen times when the herd bull is a younger bull in late September, typically still a nice bull though. I am not sure if the older bull gets worn out or if the cows are mostly bred by then, but it happens often enough.

I say go with your gut and make the best of it, elk are killed every day in September.