Which type of water filtration you have?

Clifton

FNG
Hello,
Well i start this topic as am looking for any high-quality filter plant which should me despicable any i can accumulate it my self,
Before i use some substance for microorganisms killing procedure, can any one help me regarding this?

T43

Lil-Rokslider
I picked up the Sawyer Squeeze Filter last year and plan on adding one to my daypack this year.

Chesapeake

Lil-Rokslider
I use an MSR sweetwater. Not the lightest or fastest, but it works. Had the same one for years.

I just went through all the different filter options as I am new to backpacking and was getting all new equipment. After driving myself crazy I decided on the sawyer in-line with a platypus big zip bag and the sawyer squeeze filter for a backup. Im not expecting any freezing as the lastest I will be high hunting is sept so the concern or drawbacks of the hollow core filter arent a concern for me.

Loved the hiker till it broke on a 10 day hunt in the Eastern Brooks range last season. Now I use an MSR hyperflow and am experimenting with the sawyer inline filtersas well. So far i haven't ironed out the inline system. I tried it inside the pack located closer to the bladder and it failed miserably. I am going to move it out to the top of my shoulder as that seems to be working for some others. I am use to using pumps and definitely love the hyperflow in that regard.

Last edited:

Chesapeake

Lil-Rokslider
I'm lucky in a way. My hunting partner loves gear. I can often just let him test the new stuff before I decide to purchase.
The hyper flow has clogged up on us a few times now. Muskeg water in SE Alaska killed it fast. It seems only good for very clear spring water. The back flush feature seems inadequate.
Last year we used the UV pen. Batt was dead very first try. Indicator LED's did their thing but no UV output. Someone had a Streamlight with the batt we needed so we were ok.
My sweet water does backup often as my partner tests the latest and greatest. It hasn't failed yet and when it clogs a quick scrub with the brush and your back in action.

But.....we filter from high mountain spring trickles and pools. It's a high silt, little available water application that eats filters and requires a pre filter or sediment screen. If your use is with better water sources you probably won't experience our issues.

dcestnik

Lil-Rokslider
Sawyer all in one spliced inline off a 3L bladder and katadyn tablets. Going to get my wife either a sawyer squeeze or inline.

With a lot of people going inline and having to pack around my sawyer in a very small daypack someone should develop an inline filter that has a flatter and wider cross-section to make it easier fitting inside the bladder compartment and not snag.

dotman

WKR
Sawyer all in one spliced inline off a 3L bladder and katadyn tablets. Going to get my wife either a sawyer squeeze or inline.

With a lot of people going inline and having to pack around my sawyer in a very small daypack someone should develop an inline filter that has a flatter and wider cross-section to make it easier fitting inside the bladder compartment and not snag.

Fyi... Sawyer sells an adapter kit for squeeze to make it an inline for $5.99. This way you can use it as an inline but also remove and add it to a pouch.