Which Tarp Tent?

Split toe

WKR
I am looking at getting a new shelter for Colorado in September. I am looking real hard at the Tarp Tent Li series (Notch, Aeon, and double rainbow). Anybody have any feedback on these. I really like the room the Double Rainbow Li has for about 28oz.

turley

Lil-Rokslider
The Double Rainbow Li looks like a great shelter. It is a single wall but for one person it will most likely have minimal condensation as it will be very spacious (if using it for two would definitely get the clip in liner).
The Double Rainbow has been a tried and true design and one of Tarp Tents mainstays.....doesn't seem like you can go wrong with it.

TBHasler

WKR
I use the stratospire I and it works fine for 1 person and enough gear for about 3. The vestibules are great and provide enough room for more gear than you can carry. BUT, if I were given a do-over, I would go stratospire II.
Plenty of room for 2 and a palace for 1, and you’d still get enough vestibule room for 3-4 guys’ gear.
Amazingly sturdy in rain, wind, hail.
So I vote for stratospire BUT I’m a huge fan of tarp tent designs and there are a number of designs that are bombproof and well worth the investment. Anything they now make in the DCF materials are that much lighter (albeit that much more $).

Good luck but don’t think you can go wrong with Tarp Tents!

Voyageur

WKR
I've had and used a Stratospire II for several years now and the more I use it the more I like it and appreciate its design features. I would call and talk to them. All my customer service experiences with them have been stellar.

one thing to keep in mind is the Rainbow or Double Rainbow uses an arch pole to support it. The Stratospire tent uses 2 trekking poles. Both have their advantages, but I have owned both tents and really like the arch pole. You have more usable space in the inside of the tent especially at then ends. Also, if you use a 2 trekking pole tent it becomes a pain when you need one for a hike or to go on a stalk.

Voyageur

WKR
one thing to keep in mind is the Rainbow or Double Rainbow uses an arch pole to support it. The Stratospire tent uses 2 trekking poles. Both have their advantages, but I have owned both tents and really like the arch pole. You have more usable space in the inside of the tent especially at then ends. Also, if you use a 2 trekking pole tent it becomes a pain when you need one for a hike or to go on a stalk.
Agree with what you say about using trekking poles for support. Tarptent sells dedicated support poles and a pair of them for use with the Stratospire II adds 8.6 oz to your pack. Might be worth it, might not, depends on the situation.

I think I'm going to go with the Double Rainbow

What I am going to do is get the DR and request the carbon fiber arch pol for extra $20. This save 4oz which brings it to 38oz total which is the same weight as the one man Stratophire1. No brainer to me. Plus the DR has grommet holes on both side of the tent at the top to put trekking poles for support in case you need it for snow load or extra support.

No experience with either of those, but I use the Sitka Flash Shelter and love it. Lots of lines extending from corners to tie off to trees or stake into the ground. Can use trekking poles, all around super convenient and versatile

+1 vote for the single rainbow.

Yeah I am going back and forth between single and double rainbow. I am using this just for me so not sure if I really need the room of the DR. The single rainbow comes in at 33oz with carbon pole. Really hard to beat a poles, side entry, fully featured tent at 2 pounds.

I rain the DR last year and loved and wish I would have not sold it. But looking back not sure I really need the extra room.

turley

Lil-Rokslider
If going Silnylon it would be hard to beat the Rainbow for the space to weight ratio.
If you feel the need for extra guy out points contact Tarptent.....pretty sure they’ll add extra for a minimal price (at least they used to).

FrankAbagnale

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve used a double rainbow with carbon pole for about 6 years. I love that thing. My wife and I have used it backpacking and it was tight but doable. I spent 7 nights in it last year in Colorado and it was still perfect. Perfect amount of room for me and my gear with a little extra space.

turley

Lil-Rokslider
If you hop over to the backpackinglight.com forum and in their search bar type the Tarptent you’re specifically looking for there is a wealth of information. They do a great job of hashing out tents....the owner of Tarptent (Henry Shires) even makes frequent comments and gives advice.

Last edited:

BBob

WKR
I have a Notch Li. No complaints and it suits me well. Plenty of room for 1 hunter and all my gear. It's a little tricky getting the pole height and tension setup the first time or two but like many things it becomes a non-issue after a bit. I ditched the short stakes that came with it and went longer. In soft ground the short ones wanted to pull now and then. For rough ground I use shrink window covering for a footprint. Cheap and ultra light.

CO-AJ

WKR
Almost went with the Stratospire II LI, but instead went with a tipi style. Was looking at both made from DCF. Now am just waiting on my DCF to arrive.