Which stove is right for me?

I have a Luxe Octopeak. Currently do not use a stove but it has become a priority to pick one up. I don't see myself packing it around for miles. More of a basecamp kind of thing. I'm not an ounce counter. Ease of use is more important to me than weight. I'd like the ability to use the top to cook on. What stove do I want?

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Get this one if not worried about weight so easy to setup can do it with eyes closed

Attachments

• 2021D85C-2935-4A9B-9E6E-03C8460C5576.jpeg
    2021D85C-2935-4A9B-9E6E-03C8460C5576.jpeg
    71.8 KB · Views: 89
  • A0E1F605-7246-41AF-8F8B-FD2B5FA1F38A.jpeg
    A0E1F605-7246-41AF-8F8B-FD2B5FA1F38A.jpeg
    207.1 KB · Views: 87

scott85

Lil-Rokslider
I do not recommend the liteoutdoors stove. It has been the worse investment of my backpack hunting career.

I do not recommend the liteoutdoors stove. It has been the worse investment of my backpack hunting career.
What did you not like about it? I haven't used mine a ton, but the times I have it has performed very well. We usually hunt in sept, so normally not needed. Ive not seen a lot of negative reviews of their stuff.

scott85

Lil-Rokslider
What did you not like about it? I haven't used mine a ton, but the times I have it has performed very well. We usually hunt in sept, so normally not needed. Ive not seen a lot of negative reviews of their stuff.
Used it a lot during an elk where it got really cold, temps were below zero at night and the lowest was -15. Stove drafted good and we took turn keeping the fire fed at night and it deformed the front and back to the point where the body of the stove will barely fit and I feel it’s unsafe to use 3 out of 4 rivnuts are loose for the legs.

Freeride

FNG
Used it a lot during an elk where it got really cold, temps were below zero at night and the lowest was -15. Stove drafted good and we took turn keeping the fire fed at night and it deformed the front and back to the point where the body of the stove will barely fit and I feel it’s unsafe to use 3 out of 4 rivnuts are loose for the legs.

Interesting... I used mine at -40, albeit just testing for a night in the backyard. I kept the fire going all night and it's still exactly the shape it was to begin with.

Just to satisfy my curiosity, but did you break it in before the hunt? I have had mine absolutely blazing and no deformation. Interesting..... I would get ahold of them and work with them on it. That doesn't sound normal.

scott85

Lil-Rokslider
Just to satisfy my curiosity, but did you break it in before the hunt? I have had mine absolutely blazing and no deformation. Interesting..... I would get ahold of them and work with them on it. That doesn't sound normal.
I burnt it in before the hunt. we burned maybe 3 small dead standing trees on the trip. I emailed them and they were less than willing to help out.

I burnt it in before the hunt. we burned maybe 3 small dead standing trees on the trip. I emailed them and they were less than willing to help out.
Wow, crazy. 1st time ive heard of anyone having issues. I'm not a fanboy(or at least I don't think i am :)) as I was just looking to be cost effective as I knew it wouldn't get used much and it was an economically priced stove. Good luck going forward.

16580E7C-31F5-4E93-AFBF-D69C6B20099B.jpeg6BF54780-E332-4013-9E4E-31BEE29910B0.jpeg4C3A4C3D-4937-4E1C-87D3-EAE50BB56AFA.jpeg

I use a 1/3 barrel stove that I made. It holds a fire for most of the night and keeps my Alaknak at 50 through the night. If you notice, I offset the door to the flue. That’s so I can add wood from my cot without getting out of my bag. It’s a rough life :)

I'd probably be heavily biased towards a propane stove, like a NuWay or something, if it was 100% basecamp use and ease of use was a priority.

Not the same as stove heat at all. Propane heat is wet heat. It won’t be as bad as a buddy heater, but if you get down to temps where you need a stove, it could still pose a problem.

Can you articulate why?

In my mind, for both wood or propane, fuel goes in (wood or propane), air/oxygen from inside the tent goes in, combustion occurs, heat is produced which heats the stove body, and that heat convects and radiates off the stove body to heat the inner space. The other products of combustion, some heat, gasses, and water vapor, go up the stove pipe.

What am I missing?

Can you articulate why?

In my mind, for both wood or propane, fuel goes in (wood or propane), air/oxygen from inside the tent goes in, combustion occurs, heat is produced which heats the stove body, and that heat convects and radiates off the stove body to heat the inner space. The other products of combustion, some heat, gasses, and water vapor, go up the stove pipe.

What am I missing?
Every pound of propane burned produces 1.6 pounds of water. It’s not all going to go up the chimney.

I get condensation with a wood burning stove in a silpoly/silnylon shelter.

I’ve also dried out a muddy mess in a double wall with a Buddy Heater.

Do you think there are any practical applications for propane? There are plenty of happy NuWay users among us.

I get condensation with a wood burning stove in a silpoly/silnylon shelter.

I’ve also dried out a muddy mess in a double wall with a Buddy Heater.

Do you think there are any practical applications for propane? There are plenty of happy NuWay users among us.
Not where I am. In the L48 it probably doesn’t matter.