Which State to Build NR PPs for Deer/Elk

SteveTX

Lil-Rokslider
I'm in the middle of researching the options but wanted to see what thoughts are around here. Right now I apply for/buy PPs for Colorado each year as a NR. Also hoping for a NM Outfitter tag in the next few years.

Trying to decide on a state to focus on for building NR PP's for the next 3-5 years, for deer and elk. From what I've been able to gather so far, I'm leaning towards WY for both. Maybe the best combo could be deer in one state, elk in another. I've looked at AZ, UT, and WY, but open to any ideas. I don't want to wait 10 years or more for a "top" unit, but thinking that the 3-5 range can draw something that would make for a fun trip with some good potential.

Any feedback would certainly be appreciated!

Mojave

WKR
Point creep is going to wreck anything but long term odds on deer, elk and antelpoe.

Apply in Montana, Wyoming, Idaho and new Mexico. Wyoming has 25% non- point programs for each unit.

Buy points in Wyoming and Montana, just in case. But it isn't necessary, and unless some kind of point creep prgraom changes things your points will not matter

Wyoming's Special will give you access to 43 units with draw odds between 2-10%. Apply for all 3 species. in all 4 states, every year.

Probably cost you $500 a year you won't get back.

OP
S

SteveTX

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks Mojave.

So if I’m starting from zero, and knowing I don’t care to wait for than 5 years for a given hunt, it doesn’t sound like there is much of a point in trying to build those points. I’m behind the curve so to speak. Am I tracking your thought right?

bsnedeker

WKR
If I was looking for an out of state hunt I wouldn't waste a dollar on buying points. I would apply for the deer/elk big game combo tag in Montana every year with zero points. The state allocates 25% of NR tags to people with zero points, so you actually have a much better chance of drawing with zero points than you do with one. This should allow you to hunt MT general units (which is about half of the state of MT) every 2-5 years probably.

In addition to that I would try to sock away 1-2K every year until you have enough to take yourself on a nice guided hunt on a landowner tag in NM or Utah. That might take you 10 years to save up for, but in the meantime you've gotten in a few public land hunts to give you some experience.

With only a 3-5 year timeline, here’s how I see it.

If needing to be able to plan when you draw you can build points in Wyoming for deer. You can build points in Montana for a combo and draw elk/deer.

You could draw every region in Wyoming for deer except 2 or 3.

With 3 points in Montana it should guarantee you a deer/elk combo.

If good with a random tag look at NM, ID, maybe roll the dice in Montana and not pay for a point.

Same with Wyoming. 25% of non res tags don’t go to the random draw like stated above. But there are random tags for a lot of draws in Wyoming so you might get lucky.

Rich M

WKR
Do your research.

WY is gonna go nuts this year with the special increase for 2024. A bunch of folks are gonna burn points and get out of the game. 3-5 will be good to have in 3-5 yrs.

I liked CO more than WY but have limited exposure to each.

Did Let several WY deer points expire this past fall. Burning my antelope points this year and getting out of the game.

NDGuy

WKR
Thanks Mojave.

So if I’m starting from zero, and knowing I don’t care to wait for than 5 years for a given hunt, it doesn’t sound like there is much of a point in trying to build those points. I’m behind the curve so to speak. Am I tracking your thought right?
Skip the points, it’s a frigging racket. Wish I never started buying them, chasing a bird in the sky

ElGuapo

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been in the point game for 10 years. I completely disagree with the blanket damnation of the points system. I’ve drawn many tags based on having a few points, and knowing when I can draw. I think some guys think without the system, that somehow they would draw more tags without points, and that’s simply not true. Apply in NM, and Idaho for a few years, with no points, and likely you won’t draw anything either. It’s simply supply/demand equation.

For opportunity hunts, with just a few points:

Colorado
Wyoming
Montana
Arizona

Skip:
Utah
Nevada

Random Gamble:
New Mexico
Idaho

I'm in the middle of researching the options but wanted to see what thoughts are around here. Right now I apply for/buy PPs for Colorado each year as a NR. Also hoping for a NM Outfitter tag in the next few years.

Trying to decide on a state to focus on for building NR PP's for the next 3-5 years, for deer and elk. From what I've been able to gather so far, I'm leaning towards WY for both. Maybe the best combo could be deer in one state, elk in another. I've looked at AZ, UT, and WY, but open to any ideas. I don't want to wait 10 years or more for a "top" unit, but thinking that the 3-5 range can draw something that would make for a fun trip with some good potential.

Any feedback would certainly be appreciated!
Your coming to game late.

Like getting to the 49er gold rush in 1860.

Everything is saturated, and declining.
The places you want to hunt are impossible to draw. The places you can hunt are full, and not worth the squeeze.

I'd look at hogs in TX. Better eating, same amount of fun. Easier access.

ElGuapo

Lil-Rokslider
Your coming to game late.

Like getting to the 49er gold rush in 1860.

Everything is saturated, and declining.
The places you want to hunt are impossible to draw. The places you can hunt are full, and not worth the squeeze.

I'd look at hogs in TX. Better eating, same amount of fun. Easier access.
Aside from the recommendation to hunt hogs (Great advice)…. The rest of this is pure non-sense. There’s more opportunity than you have time, or money to hunt (most likely). Dig a little……

ladogg411

Lil-Rokslider
I would never buy points anywhere if I could go back and do it again.

NM, AK and ID only would be my recommendation.

I wouldn't even apply in WY if I could go back and get the last 10 years of money back. Certainly none of the others that took my money for their ponzi schemes.

ladogg411

Lil-Rokslider
Point creep is going to wreck anything but long term odds on deer, elk and antelpoe.

Apply in Montana, Wyoming, Idaho and new Mexico. Wyoming has 25% non- point programs for each unit.

Buy points in Wyoming and Montana, just in case. But it isn't necessary, and unless some kind of point creep prgraom changes things your points will not matter

Wyoming's Special will give you access to 43 units with draw odds between 2-10%. Apply for all 3 species. in all 4 states, every year.

Probably cost you $500 a year you won't get back.
Montana is the most expensive state of them all if you are taking the 20% refund and returning the big game combo. Not so bad if you use if you keep that expensive option and hunt it.

And long way from TX to MT. Mt is a tough sell for me.

I can't imagine doing anything but random only if starting now. And then Idaho OTC is the obvious annual fallback hunt if you don't draw random in NM, Idaho or AK.

cnelk

WKR
The PP game is what you make it. I started playing it when they implemented it in Colorado 30+ years ago.

Ive only drawn 3 Limited Entry tags in elk tags in that time, but they were all good tags. Unit 10/ Unit 61/ Unit 49

I also play the Wyo PP game to supplement some years and have drawn tags.

Use them when you can - on a unit that takes what you got - even if thats 1-2 PPs. There is some real good hunting in lower PP areas

ladogg411

Lil-Rokslider
Colorado nearly borders TX, so I would choose that over MT for sure.

But the Colorado ponzi is much different today than 30 years ago.

I’d do Idaho general as you already have the base license from participating in the Idaho random draw. Makes Idaho participation pretty affordable.

NM random and NM landowner tags make a lot of sense for a guy that lives in a state bordering NM.

MT is $700/year alone to accrue points for all species. Assuming return the combo tag nearly annually for the refund. Save money like that every year by avoiding every Ponzi scheme - and buy NM landowner tags.

gearguywb

WKR
Thanks Mojave.

I am opposite this thinkng. You woke up one day and said "hey, I want to go hunting in a couple of years" (paraphrasing of course)

Who's to say you wont have that same epiphany 5, 7, 10 years from now? It would sure be nice at that point (pun intended) to have some number of points that get you a tag above the OTC and below the premium areas.

Its hard to guess where you will be money, time, and interest wise 10 or 20 years from now, but I would sure hate to look back and think "damn, wish I had started doing that years ago"

ladogg411

Lil-Rokslider
Should mention - go ahead and buy points for a state if there is a high likelihood you will move there.

But NR point schemes are a terrible investment today for a newbie. Most of us are just too invested to stop. Or at least we feel that way.