Which Rifle?

One-shot

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve never tagged a Miley buck and am hoping this is the year. We’ll be in steep and deep territory so trying to decide which rifle to bring: Kimber 8400 7mm REM mag with Zeus’s V4 Conquest scope - super light, synthetic stock accurate; or Ruger 1 .257 Wthby mag Leup. Scope - weighs a lot more but also accurate. Is the 7 overkill for Muleys?

TxLite

WKR
7 is not overkill but you could get away with less. It’s one of the most popular south tx whitetail hunting cartridges. I’d bring whichever you shoot better with and not overthink it.

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
Both are plenty! I would take whichever one you feel most confident with.

I’ve killed lots of deer with the ol 7mm and now shoot a 6.5 prc. I’m also building a .25 right now and won’t hesitate to use that on deer/antelope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nobody

WKR
If I was in your shoes, I would use the 257 WBY. Idk why, but I’ve always had a hankering for one. Just the cool factor alone would make me want to do it instead of the 7.

The Guide

WKR
A mule deer hit in the vitals with a good bullet dies quickly. Shots I've taken on mule deer have been from 25 to 400+ yards. You will carry your rifle more than you will shoot it on a hunt but you need to have something accurate that you are comfortable with shooting from point blank to your MER. Either cartridge would be sufficient for a mule deer. I've killed them with a 243 to a 300WM and all between. When I'm shooting game for others (donations to people off from my tags or doing game management hunts for the food bank) I use monolithic bullets since some places require it for donations but for my own freezer, I use a Berger or an ELDM for lung shots or short range head/neck shots.

Jay

mcseal2

WKR
Either would work well. Only thing I'd say is with the single shot 257 weatherby either be careful to stay off bone or shoot a tough bullet. A buddy shoots one and it's a great rifle. He had some very explosive results with bullets started at 3400fps plus until he went to the 110gr Accubond. I saw a buck he hit through the front shoulders with that bullet at 80yds and it held together well, even at that speed. That cartridge just puts a lot of stress on a bullet up close with it's velocity.

Steep and deep is country I like to anchor stuff, not have to trail it far. I seem to shoot most things in that country right before dark, right ahead of a storm, or at the last minute of the last day before needing to head home. I want 2 holes if possible. I'm taking a 270 after muleys this year but have used my 300 win mag more than anything. I have a 25-06 I like but it's heavier than those other guns. I'd be fine using the 25-06 but I'd want a tough bullet like a 110 Accubond, 100 Scirocco, or a similar bonded or mono-metal bullet.

Last edited:

Rich M

WKR
I took a 30-06 and 243 w me. Shot my buck w 243 cause 06 wasn’t shooting thread the needle accurate when we got there.

OP
One-shot

One-shot

Lil-Rokslider
Either would work well. Only thing I'd say is with the single shot 257 weatherby either be careful to stay off bone or shoot a tough bullet. A buddy shoots one and it's a great rifle. He had some very explosive results with bullets started at 3400fps plus until he went to the 110gr Accubond. I saw a buck he hit through the front shoulders with that bullet at 80yds and it held together well, even at that speed. That cartridge just puts a lot of stress on a bullet up close with it's velocity.

Steep and deep is country I like to anchor stuff, not have to trail it far. I seem to shoot most things in that country right before dark, right ahead of a storm, or at the last minute of the last day before needing to head home. I want 2 holes if possible. I'm taking a 270 after muleys this year but have used my 300 win mag more than anything. I have a 25-06 I like but it's heavier than those other guns. I'd be fine using the 25-06 but I'd want a tough bullet like a 110 Accubond, 100 Scirocco, or a similar bonded or mono-metal bullet.
As it turns out I checked my ammo stock and only have 90 grn wthby so will us the 7mm

mcseal2

WKR
90’s would probably be fine in a mono-metal, but I think I’d take the 7 as well. Lighter is nice! I wouldn’t want to use any other type 90 personally for that hunt.

Good luck on your hunt.

Time2time

FNG
The .257 wthby is a sweet round and is plenty for mule deer. The 7mm isn't overkill at all, lots of folks deer hunt with 7mm's. I'd take whichever one you shoot better, if that's a push I'd go with lighter weight.