Which rifle for black bear?

I know both will do the job if I do mine, just curious which one people with experience would recommend. I will be hunting in CO this September. I have not done this hunt before or hunted bear before. From what I'm hearing it sounds likely shots will be in or around thick oak brush.

I have a Rifles Inc 300 win mag with a 4-16x Huskemaw scope shooting 180gr Nosler E tips at 2900fps. It shoots them well and I've taken a variety of game with it over the years.

My other option is a Browning X bolt Hells Canyon Speed in 270 win with a Huskemaw 3-12x shooting Hornady 145gr ELD-X factory ammo at 2880fps. I haven't owned it as long, but I've shot it a lot preparing for a muley hunt last year and it also shoots really well.

Both rifles are about the same weight, accuracy, and have similar scopes and triggers. I have confidence shooting both. Velocities and BC are pretty close between them. It's mainly a decision between best terminal performance in a brushy environment, would you prefer a mono-metal 30 caliber bullet, or a more fragile .277 bullet?

Thanks for your help.
Since you’re in Colorado I’d roll 6CM if you were south in NM I’d say 22 CM. I also wouldnt want a mono since you aren’t required, there for no good reason for one. In other words of the two options you gave flip a coin if you shoot then the same

Dont over think it caliber wise, just reminder front of middle middle not shoulder.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Growing up I’d shoot them with my 270 and a fixed 4x Bushnell. 130g silver tips from wal mart worked well. It’s the only gun I had until I was 37.

My dad always used his antelope rifle, a 240 weatherby.

The 270 is fairly antiquated these days but it will absolutely work.

Unless you're in some sort of pinch you're probably better off shooting a bear with a bonafide big game rifle (that you shoot accurately). Because that's exactly what they are is a real big game animal. So why not use something designed for the job? Both guns mentioned in original post should work if he is able to shoot them well.

Bears have a large amount of fur and, often, fat that tends to limit the blood trail compared to other many other animals. Using a specific cartridge or bullet might not change this. Follow up shots aren't a bad idea if you have them. If nothing else, if a bear is on the ground then keep your scope on him a while because he'll be hard to track if he finds his feet again like they do.

Halky010

FNG
Just about any caliber from a .243 on up is good black bear medicine.

That is provided that the correct bullet and bullet placement is practiced.

I hit a black bear at 300 yards with my .340 Weatherby and that bear went 100 yards. Was it the bullet, rifle, me, or did he just decide to travel after being shot?

jdub17

FNG
Black bears are not difficult to kill. Any legal centerfire you shoot well is enough. Shot placement is much more important than caliber.

Fujicon

FNG
Blacks can be tough -- rarely -- but will typically go down with hunting rounds like 300WM and 270 (and good shot placement). On the other hand, you indicated the environement is heavy brush, so personally I'd suggest investing in a 358Win or similar if this will be the kind of hunting you plan to engage annually.

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
This isn’t an annual trip, just another adventure as tags get more difficult to draw for other hunts. Its another opportunity to get out and see new country, learn to be a better hunter.

204_ruger

Lil-Rokslider
I am going on my first bear hunt next spring. I put a new setup together for the trip.
Browning xbolt 280AI Speed LR rifle. 1@8 26-inch barrel. Topped with a Leupold VX6 HD 4x24x52mm. Do I need to shoot different type bullet in grizzly area? I have never seen one. Or hunted anyway there they are. Been around alot of black bears. Took my wife bear hunting with her crossbow. She killed a male toad . She got her information about her bear tooth back. It was 7 yrs old. She set up her a bear bait. Back to bullet type.

Hornady ELD X 162, 175 gr. ELD M 162 180.
Berger classic hunter 150 168 gr VLD 168 gr
Nosler Accubond LR 150 168gr.
Nosler Partition 140 150 160 gr.
I have alot of other bullets. Just the ones I was thinking about.

wyldman

FNG
I use a Kimber 84L select grade 30-06 with cheap Remington core lokt ammo either 150 or 180. It lays everything down.