Which packs for meat shelf?

napeequa55

Lil-Rokslider
Can somebody clarify which packs have a meat shelf option (included or added later) that allow you to carry meat between the meat and that pack instead of inside the pack?

I'm thinking I like the Kifaru Apollo setup but looking for more capacity and can't seem to find that functionality in the other pack options besides the cargo panel.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Tahr and Mountain Rambler. I think the Exo Meat Shelf can be made to work with any pack http://exomountaingear.com/shop/meat-shelf/ with 2 3-bars, 2 common loops and some quick sewing. Kifaru used to make one called the "Expanded Meat Shelf Kit":

attachment.php

Another possible solution, which is what I plan on doing with my 22Mag is simply using a Grab-It and Lash Kit to strap the meat on and then use the compression straps to strap the bag on top without using the compression straps to hold the meat and therefore it won't squish the contents of the bag.

carlc

Lil-Rokslider
I have packed a lot of meat with my stone glacier. The meat shelf has worked flawlessly.

SDHNTR

WKR
Any bag that you can detach from the frame and cinch down. My all time favorite meat shelf rig was a Mystery Ranch Crew Cab. Such a functional design, too bad it weighed a ton. Love my Stone Glacier for this too. Exo and Kifaru work well too.

aion2come

WKR
One thought is that I have found that when a meat shelf is placed 6-8" higher than the bottom of the pack/belt that is is significantly more comfortable vs. many meat shelves that are just at the bottom of the pack. I've tried both and with 70 lbs of sand in there, you could immediately tell which one you wanted. I've done this with both Kifaru and the Exo packs. Ended up sewing my own meat shelf for my Kifaru.

mystery ranch packs have meat shelves too, meat shelves are the cool thing to do these days it seems.

It's the most comfortable and stable way to pack meat/heavy loads. At least in the case of SG, it firmly holds the weight/meat in the correct place, where it's supposed to be, against one's back, i.e, against the pack frame.