Which Hard Molded Case for Long Barreled Rifles?

Cody_W

WKR
Hey y'all,

In the sea of cases out there, which case do y'all feel comfortable packing your long barreled rifles in during flights? I love my pelican cases, but they do not make one long enough for one of my rifles so I'm looking for alternative options. Anyone use a SKB iSeries 6018-8 and like it?

CW

Wapiti1

WKR
I have that SKB case. Good case. Only drawback is it takes 6 locks. Sometimes TSA is fine with the front 4, other times they want all lockable locations locked.

I have also pulled the action from the stock to use a shorter case. My rifles are well bedded, and I've never had any issues with them drifting. I also always check zero when I get to my destination.

Jeremy

OP
Cody_W

Cody_W

WKR
Does the seams flex or does it all feel very solid? I plan to custom fit everything in the case, but taking the stock off would always cut down a foot. Good thinking. If i don't find one I like I may go that route.

SteveCNJ

WKR
I got a Pelican 1750 on Ebay that was for something else. I bought the foam, outlined it with a sharpie using my rifle and cut it with an electric knife. Came out great.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Wapiti1

WKR
Does the seams flex or does it all feel very solid? I plan to custom fit everything in the case, but taking the stock off would always cut down a foot. Good thinking. If i don't find one I like I may go that route.

The center of the sides flex some. Not more than any other case I have (Pelican, Boyt). The sides are large, so they are going to flex on any case. The lip all around is solid when the latches are snapped shut.

If you custom fit the foam, the rifle isn't going anywhere. There is a lot of foam in there.

Jeremy

fatbacks

WKR
I have both a pelican and skb. They are about the same as far a rigidity. Both top notch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought the Plano All Weather as a budget option. 52” inside I believe. It feels kind of cheap but has worked fine.
I took it to AK and no problems flying with it. Left it in the back of a truck bumping around town for a couple days. Left it in the fish hold of a commercial boat for a week on the water. Had salt streaks on the outside but the inside was dry and the rifle was fine and always held zero.
I’ve traveled with big Pelicans for work and I think they’re overkill for US travel. Too heavy, too expensive and not really needed. But I’d probably take one for trips to Africa or Asia.
To clarify: I’m not talking about the regular cheap Plano case this one is like a Pelican knock off with seals and is about 5” thick.

Last edited:
Just flew out west with a Nanuk case. I believe it is long enough for what you want. Solid as they come, no flex and roller wheels and built in locks.