Which full size hunting vehicle to buy?

If you go with a cap/topper, check out buying it used first. I found one that is aluminum, fits good enough, and was only $250. I only put it on when I need it.

I have been driving an F150 6.5' with a topper, canopy, shell, whatever you want to call it, for the last 5 years.
Before that it was a Tacoma with the 5' bed and a canopy.
I can tell you, the Tacoma bed was close to useless...The 6.5' bed is a gamechanger.
I use the cargo hook attachment points (Boxlink) to support a carpeted plywood sleeping platform that fits coolers and those yellow and black containers for gear. It's safe, secure(relatively) and I'm out of the weather.
Pickup beds are great for dirty, smelly dogs, boots, whatever.
I may own a small ute someday, but a 6.5' pickup is really the way to go.

Cheesy

FNG
This is why I hunt out of a truck and not an SUV.

This mixture works by the way, don't get the dog wet first...

1 quart of 3 percent hydrogen peroxide (fresh bottle), • ¼ cup of baking soda (sodium bicarbonate), and • 1-2 teaspoons of liquid dish soap. Ingredients must be mixed in an open container and used immediately.

AE9pwKD.jpg

Get a pickup of some sort and look into a topper that you don’t mind taking on and off. It’s not fun driving around with a dead deer/elk/etc inside your vehicle with you like you’d have to do with an suv.

bigeyedfish

Lil-Rokslider
This is why I hunt out of a truck and not an SUV.

This mixture works by the way, don't get the dog wet first...

1 quart of 3 percent hydrogen peroxide (fresh bottle), • ¼ cup of baking soda (sodium bicarbonate), and • 1-2 teaspoons of liquid dish soap. Ingredients must be mixed in an open container and used immediately.

Ha. My GSP has been skunked many times. It was a real bummer the couple times it happened when we were hunting out of my wife's SUV. Much more manageable when we had the truck.

Had an expedition El for 12 yrs...went to a F250 2 years ago couldn't be happier. Best part is I don't have to clean hoof prints off the head liner anymore.

DSO123

FNG
Full size truck with a topper is a game changer. No more tarps when the weather changes, tie downs to keep stuff from flying out or worries about gear disappearing while you run in to Walmart.

I have had my Ram 2500 6.7 with topper for several years. I'm able to throw a cot in the bed an sleep where ever I can get my truck. Plus, I'm able to tow our camper, flat bed, or horse trailer when need be. Only negatives for me are, I wish the suspension was a bit softer on the FS roads without a load and and getting around some of the less traveled FS switch backs in CO at times.

What's the pro and cons full size truck crew with top vs full size suv . Would use for cross country hunts, pulling trailers, ect.
Where I live and hunt, full size hunting rig is an oxymoron… the smallest someone can live with is always better. If I had to choose a full size rig to hunt with today it would be a Chevy Silverado zr2. If I lived somewhere that wasn’t all narrow brush choked roads, I’d drive a raptor… the trx is a cool pickup too, but I drive too much for their fuel mileage