Which dies??

Husky10

Lil-Rokslider
Looking at dies for reloading vlds... I’ve been steered towards Redding, but curious as to what are the biggest differences between a Redding type s set and a Hornady match grade set. Tolerances? Material of dies?? Just not sure if it’s worth spending 2x the money on a die that will do the same thing for me. I’m not loading for comps if that makes a difference. Just looking to get more precise on loading for my custom rifles

Tolerance, quality, etc.

Some of the cheaper dies will also work the brass more than neccessary which in the long run shortens brass life.

I use Redding for 90% of my stuff but theres nothing wrong with Hornady, RCBS, Lee, etc.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I cant speak for redding die sets but I have lees and rcbs and hornady customs and the 2 sets of hornady customs are my favorite by far. More user friendly, the seating die has a bushing that slips down to hold the bullet until it starts in the case keeping it in line.

carter33

WKR
I use redding the “master hunter” I believe. It has a full length sizer die as I do full size for all my hunting brass. It also has the bullet seater with the micrometer which I really like to get precise with bullet depth and ultimately cartridge OAL, ultimately this is the reason I chose this set.

WestexSBK

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve used them all. For me and my house we will use Redding Type S FL dies and Wilson in-line seaters.

TauPhi111

WKR
I have a set of Redding dies for my 260 AI, which is my long range precision gun. All my others for my hunting rifles are RCBS. My 260 handloads shoot 1/2 moa or better, but I honestly cant tell if it is the dies or the rifle (probably a little of both). The tolerances do seem much tighter than the RCBS because I've gotten a couple cases stuck using cheap lube. Redding imperial wax solved that problem.

That said, I've turned out consistent 1 MOA or better ammo on my RCBS dies. Also, RCBS customer service is second to none in my experience.

Shrek

WKR
Forster dies for the best value. Redding are nice but for that money the Whiddon dies are the nicest I’ve used. I now buy a Forster micrometer seater , Redding body bump , and a Lee collet neck die for any new rounds. That combination works the best for me.

With VLD's or other long pointy bullets, just make sure you get something with a seating stem that doesn't close the ogive or damage the bullets. The only Hornady seating dies I have pressed a ring into the nose of bullets with compressed loads.

Redding and some others sell VLD seating stems to address this.

Dos XX

WKR
Tell whoever you get them from that you need a VLD seating stem on the seater. Without a VLD stem, you can get wonky seating depths.

Die fit can depend on what brass you run and what your chamber dimensions are. I like Whidden dies. I use them on 4 calibers currently. A phone call to them might be worth your time. They are super helpful. Redding dies would be my 2nd choice.

Do you have a reamer print or know anything about the chamber reamer dimensions?

I'm in the same boat as you and have been doing a bunch of research. Hope this helps. And it all pertains to Redding as I've heard alot of good recommendations.
Premium = reg dies with a micro seater.
Master hunter = reg sizer and a comp micro.
Type S = bushing sizer, comp seater.
Comp dies

So a comp seater is spring loaded and has a floating sleeve that fully supports and aligns the case. Same with the sizer.
A bushing sizer is an extra step to help adjust neck tension and bump..
I think the master hunter is what I'm going with as a hunter. I may do a little more research on the bushing sizer and see if I think it would be beneficial and I can actually learn to set it up.

At a minimum I think for a VLD setup get the master hunter you get the fully supported seater and the floating vld stem is cheaper. So your getting a better seater and spending the same as a lesser die that has a more expensive vld stem.

granite7

Lil-Rokslider
If you’re looking at the Master Hunter set, you might also consider the National Match (NM-C) set. It has the competition sizer also, but the FL die has the carbide expander button (a $30-40 add-on). It also includes a taper crimp die. Since I upgrade to the carbide expander anyway, this set basically gives me the crimp die for free. I usually don’t crimp, but I like having the option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mark86

Lil-Rokslider
Redding Competition dies are really good but you pay for them. I like Forster Comp dies too maybe even more than I like Redding

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk