Which Danners are the best?

Which Danner hunting boots are the best for whitetail hunting? Mostly East coast treestand hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yoder

WKR
I Bought a pair of Powderhorns a few years ago. They are really comfortable but the waterproofing totally sucks. My feet get wet from walking through wet grass. Besides that they are pretty warm. With wool socks I can sit half the day in the 20's without freezing too bad. I just switched to Schnees boots in December. They are extremely comfortable and warmer than the Danners. I haven't put enough miles on them yet to see how well they hold up or how waterproof they actually are. They are way better quality but I also paid about $100 more for them.

Keep an eye out on midway usa . Sometimes this time of year they have boots on sale . Ive picked up a couple pairs of various danners at a pretty good price .

Kurto_15

FNG
I have a pair of the Danner Alsea 400 and they have been great. I am someone who's feet always get cold and hunted the midwest last year in the low 20's with a midweight merino sock and my feet were fine. The boots themselves have help up great and have good angle support which worked well for me for saddle hunting

mskads

FNG
I've owned Danner Pronghorns (400g, and non-insulated), and also the Danner Vitals (non-insulated). I really enjoy them both. The pronghorns seem to be a more durable boot, being made of leather, and they're also plenty comfortable. The Vitals are lightweight, and almost feel like wearing a high tennis shoe, as far as comfort goes but may be less durable, though I'm not positive as I've only owned them for one year. I would have no issues recommending either boot, depending on your terrain, and temperatures. Both boots seem to have plenty of ankle support, for me.

Rich M

WKR
I have uninsulate pronghorns and a pair of 400 gr insulated pronghorn knockoffs. Both serve me well. I alternate so as to not wear sweaty boots but instead dry ones.

Not trying to be rude, You can wear anything to go sit in a tree. A lot of guys wear rubber boots even.

If you need support for hiking, get a hiking boot that gives the support.

Find a pair of boots that fit nice and wear em til the soles come off. Wash rinse repeat.

EdP

WKR
The old ones that they don't make anymore were the best. For a quality product find something made in the US or in Europe (Italy, Germany, Romania).

Watrdawg

Lil-Rokslider
I've owned various Pronghorns over the years and they have all been very good boots.

US made Danners are still good boots for certain types of hunting. They are however about double the price of the Chinese made models

nobody

WKR
Best danners for hunting would be Crocs. Comparable waterproofing levels IME, but the inside of my Crocs dries faster. And they’re cheaper.

Honestly though, I’ve tried a few pairs of danners over the past few years as a “secondary boot,” they just don’t hold up. Poor support, leak like a sieve from new, outsole breaks down ridiculously fast. The ones I’ve had experience with are on par with the Brahmas at Walmart, but way more money. At that point just save the money and buy the Walmart boots.

If you have a scheels near you, check out the Crispi West River II. Bomber boot that will serve you from coast to coast in all types of terrain. Full leather construction, gore Tex, 400 gram insulation, vibram outsole, 10” boot with great ankle support when needed and plenty of toe box space for thick socks. They’re like $100 more than the closest Danner, but built much much MUCH better. More money up front, but the lifetime of the Crispi will easily be 5-7x that of the Danner. More money up front, less money per use or per mile walked. You’ll save in the long run.

MThuntr

WKR
How do your feet feel when sitting? Are you a cold feet person? Do you also want to hike in them?

I'll echo several statements with the standard forum reply...you don't want Danners they leak and are poorly made. I've owned 3 pairs....2 Pronghorns and 1 US Made boot that would be comparable to the Expeditionary model. NONE lasted a full season without either leaking or completely falling apart. I will respect the fact that Danner did honor a warranty return on the Pronghorns (not sure that's a thing anymore) but 3 months of wear before destruction isn't quality.

I don't know what Danners sell for these days but I'd look for something else in your price range. Honestly if you're only walking a few hundred yards to a stand, I'd consider a pair of LaCrosse Rubber boots before I owned another pair of Danners.