Which broadhead for turkeys?

I’m assuming most of you may use the broadheads you use for any big game... but does anyone use anything dofferent? Say the VPA turkey spur?

Any of you grab bigger broadheads or expandables? Or less sharp ones since most of the stuff we shoot is cut on contact and generally speaking it’s somewhat beneficial to keep the arrow in the birds.

let’s hear your thoughts, turkey season is just around the corner if not already rocking in your state!

clwg97

FNG
I know this is is in the traditional section, but I have shot them with the rage turkey and it worked well. I have also used a regular Muzzy 100 grain 3 blade and it worked also. the rages stayed in the bird, the muzzy buried in the ground behind the one I shot. Mine were all shot out of a treestand while deer hunting if that makes a difference for you.

oldgoat

WKR
I've killed one with a bow, so I'm kind of an internet expert! Lost a couple with a compound, this one I waited for a Texas Heart Shot and he fell on his face in less than twenty yards!

Attachments

• NCM_0316.JPG
    NCM_0316.JPG
    217 KB · Views: 20
I shoot and recommend any 2 inch plus expandable broadhead I can find on sale for killing turkeys with trad archery gear. At close range like we like them less than 20 yards they are devastatingly lethal and they have amazing stopping power. Rarely do I not see them expire.

But I am a non traditional - traditional archer - and I am just fine with that

Your mileage may vary... try one and see

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldgoat

WKR
I shoot and recommend any 2 inch plus expandable broadhead I can find on sale for killing turkeys with trad archery gear. At close range like we like them less than 20 yards they are devastatingly lethal and they have amazing stopping power. Rarely do I not see them expire.

But I am a non traditional - traditional archer - and I am just fine with that

Your mileage may vary... try one and see

I lost a big Tom in Kansas using a Spitfire Mechanical out of a compound, probably was my shooting, and it being a jackknife type head didn't help, think it glanced off, there's a proper term for that but it's eluding me. I've said it before, i think the newer type mechanical heads would work especially with a really heavy arrow setup, but the big Simmons have a huge cut too and they do the job with nothing to fail

With the pully bow i used spitfires and shot quite a few turkeys when living in Michigan.

Hunting with my recurve im just using my stingers with the bleeders and plan on getting my first turkey with a recurve..thinking positive. My dad has shot i think 8 or 9 turkeys with his recurve with all kinds... DRT, MUZZY, SNUFFERS...i dont know im sure many others. All about shot placement.

Shoot them from the side on the wing joint or the texas heart shot are the two best options i have found, videoed several birds shot frontal that weren't recovered or had long recoveries....

Just my experiences

I lost a big Tom in Kansas using a Spitfire Mechanical out of a compound, probably was my shooting, and it being a jackknife type head didn't help, think it glanced off, there's a proper term for that but it's eluding me. I've said it before, i think the newer type mechanical heads would work especially with a really heavy arrow setup, but the big Simmons have a huge cut too and they do the job with nothing to fail

Hit the nail on the head - small kill zone lots of breast meat shoot just a little low and watch them... Happened to me last year probably 9.5/10 archery turkey hunters archery have had it happen too.

oldgoat

WKR
With the pully bow i used spitfires and shot quite a few turkeys when living in Michigan.

Hunting with my recurve im just using my stingers with the bleeders and plan on getting my first turkey with a recurve..thinking positive. My dad has shot i think 8 or 9 turkeys with his recurve with all kinds... DRT, MUZZY, SNUFFERS...i dont know im sure many others. All about shot placement.

Shoot them from the side on the wing joint or the texas heart shot are the two best options i have found, videoed several birds shot frontal that weren't recovered or had long recoveries....

Just my experiences
Texas Heart Shot or nothing for me on turkeys, I'll pass otherwise! I've only killed one that way, but I've seen so many pictures of dead birds with an arrow sticking out of their ass! It makes sense though, arrows traveling through a lot of vitals and ends up in the thoracic cavity!

I have a great video from back in the day let me see if i can find it.

Was thinking about putting this on my new channel, but a hunt I'll never forget. Crappy camera but the memory is still there. Only hunt my wife ever went on.

And yes, i missed that jake twice with my recurve, i wish that whole part would have been in the video because it was hilarious...
I see in this video i was using bloodrunners and those were the first and last time i used those broadheads.

But it shows how devastating a texas heart shot can be.

Last edited:
I’ll be using magnus bullheads this year. Haven’t killed a turkey before, but they fly great and will go all the way through a pumpkin, so they ought to have enough oomph to do their job. They’re a lot cheaper than my big game heads too

Unoboats

WKR
Classified Approved
Any front opening expandable will work. Killed my grand slam with Grim reapers. Never a failure.

OP
bjfoxhoven
Nice. I think posed this question last year for trad guys but didn’t get a ton of response.

I think the raised hunting guys shoot for the “shiny” spot on the broadside shot. Tends to Brest at least one leg, grounding the bird. They need both legs to get enough speed to get into the air (unless they are potentially on a hill). They don’t lose any birds when shot there.

Kindo

WKR
Nice. I think posed this question last year for trad guys but didn’t get a ton of response.

I think the raised hunting guys shoot for the “shiny” spot on the broadside shot. Tends to Brest at least one leg, grounding the bird. They need both legs to get enough speed to get into the air (unless they are potentially on a hill). They don’t lose any birds when shot there.

I thought one leg was good enough too until this guy got airborne. Made a nice broadside shot on a slight incline, I forget what organs I hit but penetrated through and shattered the offside hip/pelvis structure. One hop and he was in the air flying away with my arrow in him.
I took off out of the blind like Usain Bolt and by the time I was in the woods, he was dead about 75 yards up the hill.

The broadhead used was one of my grandfathers old Steel Force with bleeders.
I’m also interested in maybe some expandables for my recurve as well.847A2CBA-190A-4439-BA21-B7D97711EEC2.jpeg
BCA60BDB-C35C-41E0-8209-59394A499FA7.jpeg

OP
bjfoxhoven
I thought one leg was good enough too until this guy got airborne. Made a nice broadside shot on a slight incline, I forget what organs I hit but penetrated through and shattered the offside hip/pelvis structure. One hop and he was in the air flying away with my arrow in him.
I took off out of the blind like Usain Bolt and by the time I was in the woods, he was dead about 75 yards up the hill.

The broadhead used was one of my grandfathers old Steel Force with bleeders.
I’m also interested in maybe some expandables for my recurve as
any incline and they can get going unfortunately. I may shoot an expandable too, we will see how many chances I get lol.