Which bino to take?

Rifle elk hunt. Colorado. 2nd season.

I have the sig Zulu 6 in 10x30 and 16x42

If you only had the option to choose 1, which are you taking.

I’ll add, I will have a small spotter with me as I digiscope.

Higher power. My bread and butter is off a tripod with binos and if I need to get a closer look I'll through a spotter. Love the bino in higher power of a pod.

With that power they can also be handheld.

Keep the others in the rig

Hussar

Lil-Rokslider
I'd also take both and leave one in the truck. If I had a spotter going with me, I'd carry the 10x30s and then pull the spotter for a better look if needed.

OP
R
I will have my truck but most likely will be spending 2-3 days at a time 4-5 miles from the truck. I certainly could take both and if I need to make a change, I can always grab the other pair. Just moreso curious of other folks thoughts.

My Spotter will be the razor 56mm spotter.

Ditt44

Lil-Rokslider
That's a lot of weight taking two pair, 12x would be a great compromise. If you want to take the spotter, then the 10x and the spotter.

khunter

Lil-Rokslider
Interesting choice to have to make.

I would say the 10x but dang the 30 objective is too small for light gathering you will optimally need early and late in the day. Other than MAYBE if sitting in a whitetail stand hard to understand why folks buy small objective 10x binos.

The 16x is might be too much magnification to handhold effectively and even when planning on using on a tripod a lot, one needs to be able to pull up whatever single pair of binos there have on their chest and handhold regularly. Or perhaps these are image stabilized version in which case maybe they are ok when hand held? What has been your experience? I bet the 16x break down early and late light conditions with that unusually small objective for a set of 16x

I guess the 10x plus the spotter. I would dump both pair of binos in trade for a quality pair 10x42 or 12x as my daily go to.

Last edited:
I would take the 10s with the spotter.

In the past I have taken my 10x Els and Ats 65hd with me everywhere no matter what.

I got Zulu 6 12s. This year and now will be leaving the swaros at home for this archery season. My hunting partner is bringing a Spotter with him. But mine are staying home. The Zulus are just good enough to leave all that extra weight in the truck or at home.

OP
R
I would take the 10s with the spotter.

In the past I have taken my 10x Els and Ats 65hd with me everywhere no matter what.

I got Zulu 6 12s. This year and now will be leaving the swaros at home for this archery season. My hunting partner is bringing a Spotter with him. But mine are staying home. The Zulus are just good enough to leave all that extra weight in the truck or at home.
I have the same. I am apprehensive leaving my swaro el's 10x42 at home and got into this conundrum. I think I will do the same with my 10x30's and the spotter. Will just have my 16x42's in my truck so I am not carrying anything and if it doesn't work, I can always swap something out if I get out of the backcountry to recoup.

Bugger

FNG
Just looking for a legal bull or judging for score? I have the 16’s as well and was surprised how we were counting tines on bulls at a mile off hand. A spotter will get you a better picture but definitely isn’t necessary for elk. I’d take the 16’s in the pack and 10’s on the chest.

OP
R
Just looking for a legal bull or judging for score? I have the 16’s as well and was surprised how we were counting tines on bulls at a mile off hand. A spotter will get you a better picture but definitely isn’t necessary for elk. I’d take the 16’s in the pack and 10’s on the chest.
Just a legal bull. No tine counting on this trip