Which 3P Tent For Wife

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I'm thinking about getting my wife her own tent for when she does backpacking trips. I would like it to be lightweight, easy to set up and have plenty of room for two people. The REI Quarter Dome 3 is one I was considering. You guys have any other ideas or thoughts?

The Big Agnes Copper Spur HV UL3 is a nice 3 person tent. I have personally carried it and spent a few night in it with the wife. The dual vestibule and doors are a must imo.

It seems to be very similar to the Quarter Dome you are looking at. Either would seem good to me.

Last edited:

Gone4Days

WKR
Freestanding? Budget? I have a Zpacks Duplex and it’s my favorite all time tent for backpacking. I also have a BA Copper Spur UL 1. As far as space and weight, there is no comparison between the two. The duplex is the one I grab every time. BA CS UL3 with ground cover is 4 lbs. The Duplex is 1 lb 3 oz for $150 more $$. Just depends on budget, weight considerations and if you want a freestanding tent. I have handed my Duplex to friends while in the stuff sack and they couldn’t believe my shelter was in the sack. Packed, It’s the size of a carton of milk and featherlight.

Last edited:
OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Freestanding? Budget? I have a Zpacks Duplex and it’s my favorite all time tent for backpacking. I also have a BA Copper Spur UL 1. As far as space and weight, there is no comparison between the two. The duplex is the one I grab every time. BA CS UL3 with ground cover is 4 lbs. The Duplex is 1 lb 3 oz for $150 more $$. Just depends on budget, weight considerations and if you want a freestanding tent. I have handed my Duplex to friends while in the stuff sack and they couldn’t believe my shelter was in the sack. Packed, It’s the size of a carton of milk and featherlight.
I would lean toward freestanding for her since I think they are easier to set up. The budget is whatever it costs to get her a solid tent. She likes my Kuiu Mountain Star and I may get her one of her own but a 3P tent would give her more space and keep me from doubling up. I also feel that a slightly heavier/more robust tent would be a better option for someone less experienced with ultralight gear. With that said I don't think an 8 pound Hilleberg is optimal for her either.

My current bivys/tents/tarps are:
TiGoat Raven Omni Bivy
Enlightened Equipment Recon Bivy
Zpacks Hexamid Solo Plus
Kuiu Summit Star 1P
Kuiu Mountain Star 2P
Golite SL5
Kifaru Sawtooth

The Big Agnes Copper Spur HV UL3 is a nice 3 person tent. I have personally carried it and spent a few night in it with the wife. The dual vestibule and doors are a must imo.

It seems to be very similar to the Quarter Dome you are looking at. Either would seem good to me.

I have this tent, easy to setup and a good amount of room inside. It’s obviously not the lightest but not the heaviest. If your not expecting rain you can leave the fly at home. Duel entries is nice if two people are in it. I’m 5’8” and in a 6’ pad I’m not touching the walls. I’m trying to remember but I think there are a couple pockets inside for gear and an overhead attachment to store gear as well. I’ve used it in WA, OR and NV without issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
After looking at them both quite a bit, I'm leaning toward the Big Agnes Copper Spur HV UL3.

Here's a cool side-by-side comparison tool. Tent comparison

The REI Quarter Dome wins on price but that's about it. The Copper Spur saves a bit of weight and I believe the material they are using will be better.

Am I missing any other tents that I should be considering?

sneaky

"DADDY"
After looking at them both quite a bit, I'm leaning toward the Big Agnes Copper Spur HV UL3.

Here's a cool side-by-side comparison tool. Tent comparison

The REI Quarter Dome wins on price but that's about it. The Copper Spur saves a bit of weight and I believe the material they are using will be better.

Am I missing any other tents that I should be considering?
I've got a UL3 if you want to try one out and see if it'll work for her.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Big Agnes has a good warranty program also if there are any issues.

You could go buy it from rei, set it up in your living room to get an idea, and if it isn’t what you want take it back.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Well, I decided to pull the trigger and ordered her the Big Agnes Copper Spur HV UL3 along with the footprint.

I figure it should work well for her. Thank you to everyone for the help. I'll try to post a review after she gets some use out of it. It'll be a while though since her birthday isn't until April 22.

Trr15

WKR
I think you’ll be happy with the copper spur. They’re great tents. Light, easy to pitch, roomy and building quality is top notch. I’ve had one for 4-5 years and finally decided to use it on a goat hunt last September. Kicking myself now for not trying it out sooner. It will see a lot more use moving forward.

If you bought through REI they have a great return policy. I used a trekking pole tent of theirs in the backcountry last year. Short story it did not work out for me. REI refunded me in full upon return.

Finished the season with my Big Agnes HV UL1. Other than being a little small it worked out good.

bsnedeker

WKR
If you bought through REI they have a great return policy. I used a trekking pole tent of theirs in the backcountry last year. Short story it did not work out for me. REI refunded me in full upon return.

Finished the season with my Big Agnes HV UL1. Other than being a little small it worked out good.
Also, if you bought through REI you were supporting an anti-2A company that actively uses their clout in the outdoor industry to attempt to destroy firearms companies.

In case you weren't already aware of that.

Reactions: TFP
OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Also, if you bought through REI you were supporting an anti-2A company that actively uses their clout in the outdoor industry to attempt to destroy firearms companies.

In case you weren't already aware of that.
That is probably true. They just have a lot of stuff I want and are great to deal with.

It's interesting too that just about every time I go into one of their stores looking for something they know I want it for hunting. The employees have always been very helpful and most even ask questions about hunting. The number one question is always "how do you carry them out?". They are always amazed when I tell them we cut the animals up with scalpels and put them in our backpacks.

Most people don't really know much about hunting or firearms and have nothing to base their opinions on except what they see on mainstream media. I take every chance I get to try to win over more people.

slowelk

WKR
My wife and I really like the Tarptent Cloudburst 3. Easy to setup, incredibly live-able, generous vestibule for gear. Stitched in USA!

bsnedeker

WKR
That is probably true. They just have a lot of stuff I want and are great to deal with.

It's interesting too that just about every time I go into one of their stores looking for something they know I want it for hunting. The employees have always been very helpful and most even ask questions about hunting. The number one question is always "how do you carry them out?". They are always amazed when I tell them we cut the animals up with scalpels and put them in our backpacks.

Most people don't really know much about hunting or firearms and have nothing to base their opinions on except what they see on mainstream media. I take every chance I get to try to win over more people.
Oh, I don't disagree. I used to really like REI before they took their anti-2A stance. I have zero problems with the people who work there. My issue is entirely with the ownership of the company and I refuse to support organizations that are actively working to take away my freedoms, regardless of how nice the employees are.

Reactions: TFP
I don’t think you can go wrong with that tent, I’d be surprised if it didn’t fit her needs.

I upgrading to the msr stakes, as the ones that came with the tent would bend easily. Just something to consider.