Where to put your new gun safe?

bobhunts

WKR
Myself and another guy just got a couple of new safes. They will be curb delivered next Tuesday. Curb delivery only and they said they would pallet jack it into the garage. I have a house so after it gets here I will have a moving company put into my walk out basement via the back yard and through the sliding doors down below. These are almost 900 lbs. The friend getting the other one is just gonna keep his in the garage as he lives in a townhouse. He simply does not have room inside but it is not the home he will stay in forever. So if one of you keep a safe in the garage do you have a problem keeping your firearms in the safe in a garage? The garage is not temperature controlled. He is worried about rust and I don't know for sure how to answer his question. I told him to put a dehumidifying rod inside and maybe a box of those granules that change color when done absorbing moisture. Anyone keep a safe in the garage where you live? We live in Colorado so humidity is low but just wondering due to temperature changes throughout the day? Bob.

I had my safe in a garage for a year and a half before moving. Garage was insulated but not heated. With the electric rod in the bottom if the safe, I never had a problem with condensation. I had the safe on a 2x6 platform to keep it off the concrete. We get a lot of snow, so the garage floor was wet most of the winter, lots of humidity.

crumy

WKR
Mine is in basement. Granted moving comoany put it there. My firefighter firefighter friends lectured me on not putting it on floor makes sense even if you put it on joists.

boom

WKR
the safe will need to be outfitted for the rod. either an outlet or a hole..(i think)

i would bolt it to the floor of the garage for sure. mine is really nicely coated. i dont think it would rust that easily.

vytu8ezy.jpg

I bolted mine to the floor of the garage about seven years ago and have not had any problems. We do have in floor radiant heat so there's never any water issues and the way that the garage drains is away from the safe so when we bring our vehicles in with snow on them, and it melts off, it also drains away from the safe. I've never had a problem with rust or any kind of condensation in my safe.

Ruskin

WKR
Always had them in garage. Never an issue. I did get one of the heated rods when in FL.

OP
B

bobhunts

WKR
Thanks for all the replies. I believe he will be fine putting his safe in the garage. They will be delivered in the morning. I will have to wait until after I get home from Elk and deer hunting in a week. Then I will have to get the moving company to move it into the basement. I really appreciate all of the replies guys. Bob.