Where to go?

Tony Trietch

Part Time Bow Hiker
Staff member
IOWA. Nothing in my exp has came close.
Start putting in for points now. Meanwhile start scouting out public land.

PA-50, how many points did it take you to draw that tag?

Should take 3 or 4 points for archery rut hunt depending on which zone you apply for. Shotgun should take less points from what I have seen but would be post rut in December.

There are a lot of good deer on public here in Iowa. I know of a 160 and a 175 that were shot off public here. Don't over look late muzzleloader season also. The big guys are pretty predictable with cold temps and needing to recover from the rut. Plus there is hardly anyone else out. I have only seen 3 trucks on the main part of the State Forest that I work at, this year.

bwlacy

WKR
I have seen bucks that big in Iowa, Nebraska, and Ohio. Iowa would be my top choice always. But I hunt with an outfitter on some great ground, may be looking at a diy in Iowa though. It takes 3 or 4 points to draw an archery tag in zone 5. I've never seen so many older bucks in 6 days of hunting. I've hunted Iowa 3 times and it was great each time, well worth the wait if you have good ground to hunt. Haven't been there since 2011 though, not sure how much ehd effected the area I hunt.

Ohio can be a great diy hunt if you are willing to put in the work. Tons of public land and good camp sites, cabin rentals, etc... I haven't seen a lot over 150 but usually see at least one each trip. Lot's of big hills and rough terrain in Southern Ohio, pretty easy to get away from the crowd. But you don't generally see very many deer back in the mountains. See way more bucks than does.

Good luck in your search.

Things may change up here now that CWD has been found in wild deer. The good thing is that out of just over 100 samples taken this Spring none have come back positive, 70 some had been tested as of the end of last week.