Where is the best placement for a arca rail on a rifle?

Elite

WKR
Looking to add a small arca rail to my tikkas factory stock.

My initial thought was to add it up far on the for-end but I would assume you would loose some stability vs close to the magwell area? I also shoot off bags once in awhile and would like to avoid placing it where the bag lays on the for end

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a pretty personal question, it totally depends on your setup and how you shoot. Personally, my only rifle with arca is my mdt chassis build and I usually mount the rifle behind the swivel stud and find it to be plenty stable.

ID_Matt

WKR
I think you want one that will stretch to the front of the forend for a bipod, but go back far enough that you can clip in to a tripod and still be able to manipulate the tripod head without breaking position and using the hand for support. Also, if you can leave some space in front of the mag to comfortably carry, that is a plus.

seand

Lil-Rokslider
IMO the arca is improved off a bag compared to a std forend. Settles and tracks better. I much prefer full length, the SRS 11” will bolt right on to the factory threaded inserts and fits perfect.

If you are clipping into a tripod, the full length rail allows you to slide the rifle back on the tripod head to shoot with rear support off a tripod leg, or prone off a tripod.

Lawnboi

WKR
I think you want one that will stretch to the front of the forend for a bipod, but go back far enough that you can clip in to a tripod and still be able to manipulate the tripod head without breaking position and using the hand for support. Also, if you can leave some space in front of the mag to comfortably carry, that is a plus.

Iv used full length, just 4” in front and small ones ear the mag well. Iv ended up with basically the above.

All my stocks now have ~6” rails on them. This allows me to have bipod and tripod attached and be able to reach the tripod head without leaving the rifle. It also allows me to not deal with a rail while carrying.

I feel the balance point on a light gun isn’t the most ideal for tripod shooting either.

+1 for in front of the mag well, 3-4” in length allows for some adjustment but is always proximal to the balance point, and more importantly, allows for shots at steep angles

+1 for in front of the mag well, 3-4” in length allows for some adjustment but is always proximal to the balance point, and more importantly, allows for shots at steep angles

I am in this camp as well and didn't even thing about the highlighted benefit above until I went on an Oryx hunt a couple of months ago. We were down in a deep gully trying to get around a group of them to get better wind and cover. As we were creeping down, a good bull popped up on the edge of the gully about 75 yards down from us. The shot angle was about 30-35 degrees. We were already crouched down and if my rail had been forward, I would have had to go prone to get into shooting position, or I would have had to extend the tripod to the point where we would have risked being seen by standing up to get it into position.

IMO the arca is improved off a bag compared to a std forend. Settles and tracks better. I much prefer full length, the SRS 11” will bolt right on to the factory threaded inserts and fits perfect.

If you are clipping into a tripod, the full length rail allows you to slide the rifle back on the tripod head to shoot with rear support off a tripod leg, or prone off a tripod.
Basically this. I agree that you'll probably like shooting off the bag more if it's contacting the rail since the rail is flat.