Where do you all buy your ammo?

Neckbone

Lil-Rokslider
My new years resolution is to go to the range more often! Looking to stock up on 30-06, 556, .44mag, .308, etc... Do you all purchase ammo online, big box, or local shop? I've never purchased ammo online, anyone have any online retailer recommendation?

OP
Neckbone

Neckbone

Lil-Rokslider
I buy from big box when they have a good sale
ammoseek
midway

my local has a 100% markup / 2x $ 🤬🤬🤬
Oooof, I’m all about supporting local shops…but cmon. You can make a living off me, but u don’t have to make a killing!

z987k

WKR
If you have a lot of firearms and shoot often, you might consider loading your own. It's cheaper in the long run.
Is it though?

I find what happens is you reload is you need 20 gadgets that you don't really need but you "need". Now you've doubled your equipment investment.
Then you decide you should get a wildcat. Double that investment again.
Then you start loading EOL's or long coppers or something that doesn't work in a standard chamber or twist rate, so you need custom barrels and a medium action and a long throat.

Nothing cheaper about it.

Crusader

WKR
Is it though?

I find what happens is you reload is you need 20 gadgets that you don't really need but you "need". Now you've doubled your equipment investment.
Then you decide you should get a wildcat. Double that investment again.
Then you start loading EOL's or long coppers or something that doesn't work in a standard chamber or twist rate, so you need custom barrels and a medium action and a long throat.

Nothing cheaper about it.
I believe it is cheaper, if one has restraint and doesn't make it a hobby and end up going crazy with the extra items. But I would say, most guys don't have that much self-control, LOL!

hunterjmj

WKR
Haven't done the math since Covid prices but it use to be cheaper if you shoot a lot. I load for a couple rifles and buy for a couple rifles.

I buy a lot of stuff through freedommunitions.com. they carry name brand stuff plus manufacturer their own. The do remans on stuff as well. They're also partners with LAXammo. Both of which I've ordered remans and have had good experiences.
Norma is also good to order directly through their site.

IW17

FNG
Unfortunately in today's market I don't have any particular place I shop. I just keep my eyes open and look for in stock items and use my phone to check prices. It's getting better but too many places are either priced rediculous or unreliable at either being in stock, or showing in stock only to send you an email with a backorder.

As far as reloading, it depends on what you already have. I purchased my first reloaded in 2020, right before things went nuts. Been slowly piecing together everything I need. But once you factor in the cost of the basic components you need, plus powder, primers, bullets and brass, it's really not worth it price wise. Biggest driver for me is to hopefully be as self sufficient as possible, along with being able to consistently have ammo for harder to find calibers.

sconnieVLP

Lil-Rokslider
does the ammo+ membership on targetsports get you free hazmat when they have primers in stock?
I just added some primers to my cart and the shipping was free but still had the HAZMAT fee.

Target Sports is where I get 99% of my ammo from though. I shoot USPSA 2-3x a month so plus other training time I’m probably shooting a case of 9mm/month. The Ammo+ discount and free shipping comes in handy for that. It’s also handy when I want to try a box or two of several different types of ammo for various rifles and don’t have to pay shipping on the small order.