When you have lost an animal, what do you believe was the cause?

When you have lost an animal, what do you believe was the cause?

• Lack of Penetration

Votes: 14 9.9%
  • Shot Placement - Too far back

Votes: 29 20.6%
  • Shot Placement - High

Votes: 42 29.8%
  • Shot Placement - Other

Votes: 62 44.0%
  • Range Error

Votes: 19 13.5%
  • Animal Movement

Votes: 12 8.5%
  • Tracking too soon

Votes: 26 18.4%

• Total voters

KHNC

WKR
I'd like to hear you tell Randy Ulmer the reason he missed all those 200 inch mule deer was because he wasn't a good enough shot.
I will , right after you complete a reading comprehension course. You can do it online or in person. Maybe check the public library for availability.

Zac

WKR
I will , right after you complete a reading comprehension course. You can do it online or in person. Maybe check the public library for availability.
The idea that animals simply just stand there and take it like a 3D target has been disproved since people began filming hunts. This is the typical argument of hunters that use subpar equipment, cheap broadheads, ultra light arrows etc.

Stalker69

WKR
Thank you for taking the time to read my story and I will PM you my conclusions. In general I think we all realize that anyone can make a bad shot and loose an animal. I think what we don't realize is why we are loosing animals with good shots. I believe that comes down to the arrow we shoot.
I say it comes down to a " perfect" shot in our mind, but not nessasarly what really happened. I have so many times had people tell us they made the PERFECT shot, sware up and down, bet their house and pay checks on it. And of the ones recovered, the vast majority are not even close to perfect. Some so far off its a wonder they died. The arrow is not the issue, it's where it goes. ( where we put it, and what it does internally). Period.

Beendare

WKR
I think I’ve seen just about every scenario from the critter being 2 steps away from the arrow when it got there ( Axis deer on Lanai) to animals that just stood there bleeding (many times)

I found that I couldn’t take a shot at a Coues deer on a dead still morning if he standing there and more than 15y away. There had to be at least some environmental noise or other deer moving around.

Many guys new to bowhunting just consider their equipment choice without regard for actual hunt scenarios. I became a begrudged expert on animal movement ( read;spooking) back when I was sponsored by Oneida- the slap from those bows got every animal moving.

Every scenario is different but IMO the 3 factors that make the most difference in shot location in the various hunt scenarios (excluding your bow setup)
1. Distance to the animal
2. not being made by the animal
3. background noise

An animal that doesn’t know you are there and inside your effective range with a little bit of wind or background noise…is a winner winner chicken dinner.

Beendare

WKR
I say it comes down to a " perfect" shot in our mind, but not nessasarly what really happened. I have so many times had people tell us they made the PERFECT shot, sware up and down, bet their house and pay checks on it. And of the ones recovered, the vast majority are not even close to perfect. Some so far off its a wonder they died. The arrow is not the issue, it's where it goes. ( where we put it, and what it does internally). Period.
Some of that is a persons shooting ability and being able to call the shot- which a guy can practice.

GatorGar247

Lil-Rokslider
I've never been one to blame my equipment. Of the animals I've lost it has 100% been my fault. Rushing the shot or just piss poor shot placement.

Marble

WKR
For archery, usually it taking a shot I shouldn't have taken. Either the animal is in a bad position to start with, maybe moving, or shooting when their is an obstruction you can't see.

For rifle, shot placement, which for me is caused by going too fast.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

KHNC

WKR
The idea that animals simply just stand there and take it like a 3D target has been disproved since people began filming hunts. This is the typical argument of hunters that use subpar equipment, cheap broadheads, ultra light arrows etc.
Shot placement is shot placement ,no matter what the animal does. If you dont hit it in the proper "place", then it will not properly die.

Zac

WKR
Shot placement is shot placement ,no matter what the animal does. If you dont hit it in the proper "place", then it will not properly die.
This isn't rocket science. You can shoot the arrow where ever you want. You can NEVER control how the animal reacts before the arrow arrives. There is a pile of footage that clearly shows animals reacting to projectiles flying at them. There is also plenty of documented footage of elite archers shooting animals in less than ideal spots due to animal movement. This isn't even an arguable point.

KHNC

WKR
This isn't rocket science. You can shoot the arrow where ever you want. You can NEVER control how the animal reacts before the arrow arrives. There is a pile of footage that clearly shows animals reacting to projectiles flying at them. There is also plenty of documented footage of elite archers shooting animals in less than ideal spots due to animal movement. This isn't even an arguable point.
SO what exactly are you wanting to accomplish here? I dont even know a single bowhunter that doesnt know this already.

Beendare

WKR
.....You can NEVER control how the animal reacts before the arrow arrives. There is a pile of footage that clearly shows animals reacting to projectiles flying at them. ....
Zac, I like reading your posts and most times we agree...but I don't agree with that blanket statement.
I've seen it many times.

There was enough background noise or wind etc...and the critter had no idea I was there- and they didn't react to the shot....or at least until afterward.

Zac

WKR
Zac, I like reading your posts and most times we agree...but I don't agree with that blanket statement.
I've seen it many times.

There was enough background noise or wind etc...and the critter had no idea I was there- and they didn't react to the shot....or at least until afterward.
Yeah sure I don't think they always react. Even Gillingham has said he shot whitetails that didn't even twitch.

chrism07

FNG
Shot placement for sure. Hit too far forward in the shoulder and didn't penetrate, but 100% blame the shot placement.

Marble

WKR
SO what exactly are you wanting to accomplish here? I dont even know a single bowhunter that doesnt know this already.
There are many bow hunters that do not realize this. Or, they don't realize how much an animal can move between when the shot goes off and when the arrow gets there.

Reactions: Zac

Clarktar

WKR
Divine intervention, most certainly.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

KHNC

WKR
There are many bow hunters that do not realize this. Or, they don't realize how much an animal can move between when the shot goes off and when the arrow gets there.

Not the ones I know. ;)

Zac

WKR
Originally it was to someone that said every wounded animal was due to bad shot placement. I know it's boring but if you read the whole thread you won't have to ask.

KHNC

WKR
Originally it was to someone that said every wounded animal was due to bad shot placement. I know it's boring but if you read the whole thread you won't have to ask.
Your argumentative posts are the only ones i have had to read more than once. I have read the entire thread , multiple times. I was one of the first to post in it.

87TT

WKR
The first bull I shot hit a bit high and back. I gave him an hour and then started tracking him in the dark. That was mistake #1. Needed more time. Later I found that the string stop on my bow rubber was torn and probably caused the arrow to fly wide. (It is hanging over my bow shop workbench with a sign that says No Excuses!) I lost blood around 1:00 am and returned the next am and picked up the trail only to lose it for good around noon. I even found a large puddle of blood where he had laid down. I found that bull two weeks later with a big black bear sitting on him Eating. My arrows were around 400 gr total with 100 gr Muzzy 3 blade. I found half the arrow where it broke off so penetration was poor. I was able to run off the bear for a brief time, long enough to see the entrance wound. High and back maybe clipping one lung or liver.