When to stop supporting a hunting brand

I miss the days when companies didn’t have social media and rarely made public comments.

That being said, when a company does go out of their way to leverage social media, they know it’s a risk and should be prepared for public backlash when they misstep. Partnering with someone means they intend to take on that person’s followers as well as baggage in hopes of bringing in those customers. The “influencer” culture is repulsive. In the hunting industry they’ve created nothing but more competition and arguing while also attempting to force feed us their merch and 1% different products that they only use because they get kickbacks. Competition causes people to cut corners, and the more time elapses, the more we find out that nearly all the famous hunting personalities are guilty of pulling some disgusting tricks to keep their content rolling in. The only way to fight the douchebaggery is to stop buying what they use to show the industry that their “influence” doesn’t have bearing on what we value, and that supporting their actions will be detrimental to their bottom line. They don’t HAVE to partner with anyone, but who they CHOOSE to partner with absolutely has an impact on my decision to support their business.

Butcher8

Lil-Rokslider
I don't "support" any business. In fact, there is a high likelihood that if they have a bunch of random people using their stuff and talking about how awesome it is I will never even look twice. On the other hand if it's something I need I will buy it, but I have boxes of random junk that at some point I thought I needed.

The influencer generation is honestly nauseating. Really. It spawned from little kids who can't think for themselves about literally anything and now permeates everything.

90% of everything sold for hunting is boutique unneeded BS promoted by bearded Kim Kardashian wannabes. Except KK actually does some good in the world.

Holy cats I sound like a mean old man. 😆

My hope is that AI ruins it all and people turn their backs on electronic stupidity because it's all fake. Not holding my breath.
Come one, You know we all have tons of stuffs laying around that we don't really need.

Mojave

WKR
I guess I don’t understand why the need for folks to sell items because of “x” reason. You already paid the company your money. You aren’t hurting them after the purchase. Does brand identity mean that much to some folks? (Rhetorical question alert)

I can see not buying from a company in the future, but I can’t see myself selling gear just because I’m spun up over something.

Yes, exactly this!

Calcoyote

FNG
I don't want to cause any posts that make this thread get locked so could someone please send me a PM and tell me what sponsorships or political statements SO made that were negative toward hunting or gun ownership? The opening post of this thread mentioned them. I have a SO 12 man, Cimarron, and one of their stoves. Don't need to buy anything more from them, but who knows...I have had really good experiences with their products and customer service.

EDIT TO ADD: A couple of you graciously provided the link to the podcast in a PM to me. Wow. I totally missed the boat on this one. I had not heard about any of this. This poscast came out around the time my wife and I spent 5 days in the hospital with the Delta Strain of Covid. There was a 3-4 month period back then that was a bit of a blurr and I missed some things. This podcast was one of them. So very disappointed in SO. I had no idea.

Last edited: