When to put a dog down?

My wife calls it "The look". Basically they get to a point where they are miserable. They look to you as if to say, "Can you help me?"

When they can't walk or hold their waste, it's past time. A dog will have a light of joy in their eyes, and when that's gone it's time.

We have a really cool vet that will put just enough sedative at first to provide pain relief. We then say goodbye while they are feeling better. It's the last gift we give them, and they return that gift with their last burst of pain free love. Then they put them out and finish the process. Sad, but the best we can do during this inevitable completion of life. It's an integral part of of all life.

JMDavies

WKR
Very sorry to hear that. You might have an option to do it at home. My wife and I have used services like this when we have a planned date. You would set a time for the vet, they come in and explain how it's going to work, give you time to say goodbye and they'll take your friend with them if you'd like. We like it because the dog is calmer, we were calmer and you don't have the disturbance of other clients being in the waiting area. I costs a little more but is well worth it to me and my wife.

Agross

WKR
Monday is the day. I know it’s time and I have no qualms with the decision. If I put it off any longer, I will regret it. The family gets to spend the weekend with him and get in lots of time with him. I’m fine now, I know I’m going to be a mess when the time comes.
Sorry to hear about your pooch. You made the right decision. The morning before I had to put my dog down I took him to all his favorite spots and let him ride in the front seat. Up until doing it I always said I could put my dog down. I dont want to do it again. It was alot harder than I thought it was gonna be, but I owed it to him. They sure are a big part of your life and your family. It has been a couple years now and I am contemplating getting another dog finally, but still not positive. Again sorry about your dog.

KineKilla

WKR
My sincere sympathies...

My wife and I have lost 3 dogs in about 4 years time. Two to cancer and one to old age. My husky was almost 15 years old. He'd gone blind and had occasional panic attacks that were obviously terrifying for him. He got to the point where he would just lay on the lawn and cry while defecating in place.

I waited too long to do the difficult but right thing for him.

The two cancer cases involved dogs that wouldn't eat and were slowly starving to death. It was still extremely difficult.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

damxam

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve had 12 dogs in my 31 years. It is never easy. Enjoy your time with your pup and know you gave it the best lifetime a dog can have.

Back before I was married, my wife’s childhood dogs were old. Her and my MIL spent untold amounts of money at the vet to try and keep them around. Both were so heavily medicated it was a joke. They were not even living, just not dead. It was the most selfish shit I’ve ever seen. I tried to tell them it was cruel to keep doping them just to avoid putting them down. Finally they couldn’t even get up to piss then they were forced to put them down. For two of three years those dogs were zombies.

Had to put our dog of 13 years down
3 weeks ago, was so hard, my best friend, but I couldn't let her suffer from her heart desease and seizures anymore. Worst day ever. Hard decision, but you will know when it's time

2rsquared

Lil-Rokslider
It's tough. Had to make the call on my 14 1/2 year old Chocolate last year. She gave me that "look" and told me it was time. My condolences tomorrow.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

These threads like this are always interesting to me. Getting to see other’s perspectives on when it’s ok to end a life. I’ve always wondered why nobody ever says “well I think it’s time to put grandpa down”. “He’s old and not getting around very good and he pissed in his pants several times”.

Last edited:
In my opinion, you are going to be the best judge of when "its time". You know your dog better than anyone else on this forum. Go with your gut, do what you can within reason and when you recognize the spirit has faded do whats right for your bud. Its never easy, but as you stated, you gave him a hell of a life and not much else you can do. Not letting him suffer is the kindest thing you can do for him in the end...

COOPDUCK

FNG
Only two times in life I was absolutely blindsided by emotion that I really didn’t see hitting me the way it did. Putting my lab down, and watching my 2nd and 3rd (twins) being born. I’ve had hard times in life and shed many tears, but those two literally took my feet out from under me.

fatbacks

WKR
Had to put our dog down two weeks ago. Pretty rough, but he made it very apparent it was time - I’d saved a grouse carcass for it and he got to nibble on a wing in the living room when the vet showed up. The vet came to our house and our five year old helped pet him to the end. Can’t say enough good things about the vet and having her come to our house.

f4c747b3ebfed5fc5c1cf4353de713a4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I put them down when they can’t do the day to day without major pain. Bad hips, blind, infections in broken bones

Rich M

WKR
I’ve got a 14 year old Lab. He’s been a great dog and had a good run - arguably had a better life and more fun than 99% of dogs do, between hunting, camping, and kids. In the last year he has become deaf as a door nail, mildly incontinent, and his hips are failing. His back legs slide apart on our floors and he has trouble doing much. You can see in his eyes that he is still the same dog inside, but his body is slowly failing. We give him anti-inflammatory drugs to keep him mobile and minimize discomfort, but sooner or later that won’t do the trick any more and I’m not one to dump a bunch of money into a dog just to eek out another 6 months of poor existence. I’ve seen several dogs at the very end of their lives, and he isn’t there yet, but I’m wondering what criteria people use to determine that it’s time to put their dog down. It will be tough, but I don’t want him to suffer either.

IMO - when he looks like he's hurting. That's when you give him a steak and take him out back.

I have a coworker who has a severely cancer-ed-up dog and she's dragging it's life out - trying to time it before some internal organ or something bursts. Spoil the dog a little and have some mercy - she should have had that one put down weeks ago.

My parents have a setter that is 15 yrs old - deaf, sleeps a lot, but still does a dance every time she sees me, and can still hop on on the furniture, etc. Not time yet but getting close. This one is gonna be tough on the family.

Austink47

WKR
Been there. My heart goes out to you. Like several folks have said you will know when it is time.

Gearqueer

Lil-Rokslider
Today will be the last day for my best friend. He’s 12 years old. He had a rough few days this past weekend. His health is not getting better. Best hunting dog I ever hunted with; pure talent mixed with incredible drive.

He has the most pure heart and only wants to make me happy. I hope I have given him a tenth as much joy as he’s given me. I’ve never had to do this before.
e8e5c73fdbde34cb465c286fbcc2c2fa.jpg

a8594401385228afc8298164a094b6d2.jpg

a5eee2a3ed64f4a384a44e05b7b601cf.jpg

ceejay

Lil-Rokslider
Today will be the last day for my best friend. He’s 12 years old. He had a rough few days this past weekend. His health is not getting better. Best hunting dog I ever hunted with; pure talent mixed with incredible drive.

He has the most pure heart and only wants to make me happy. I hope I have given him a tenth as much joy as he’s given me. I’ve never had to do this before.
e8e5c73fdbde34cb465c286fbcc2c2fa.jpg

a8594401385228afc8298164a094b6d2.jpg

a5eee2a3ed64f4a384a44e05b7b601cf.jpg

From the looks of these pics it appears that you have. Godspeed to your dog and condolences to you.