When to give up on a boot?

IDVortex

WKR
Well. As thr title says. When to give up?

History (not as important as the history 1776) I bought my first ever pair of expensive boots for hunting/backpacking this spring, Crispi Lapponias II, I thought they fitted fine and all that jazz. Will, after a hike yesterday I've came to the conclusion I can't get my boot tight enough for my heal to not move, or if I did, it would pinch and make my ankles/front of my foot be in extreme pain. I've tried sock liners, different brand of socks, etc. Can't get my foot to sit right. So with that being said. How can I go about find what makes a good boot fit? I don't want to be spending a thousand bucks to find one. But I don't think im looking at what makes a good boot for your personal foot? Help?

jpmulk

WKR
Sounds like it’s time to move on to me. Dont wait like i did, jacked my foot up cuz I kept trying to make my expensive boots work.

knale87

Lil-Rokslider
I had the original lapponias and they were a smidge big. Put new insoles in them and they fit perfectly.

OP
IDVortex

IDVortex

WKR
I had the original lapponias and they were a smidge big. Put new insoles in them and they fit perfectly.
I've actually tried Sheepfeet in them yesterday on a hike. Have had a set of Good feet in them too, no change.

BBob

WKR
I ask because in my experience the full leather boots can take a lot of sweat miles to get them fit to your feet. 50 isn’t really that many.

I am to the point where I am going to go with something like Hoka hiking boots/trail running shoes. I am done with these expensive stiff uncomfortable european boots.

pluckem

FNG
Man, 50 miles and still issues I'd be moving on. I base this on the fact the best fitting boots over the yeas felt great even in the first mile. Can you get the ones you have to feel slightly better? or improve. Probably, but not sure they will get you as good of a fit as you could have by starting with a boot that is 90-95% there without doing anything to it.

TaperPin

WKR
I don’t know how much of this actually applies to your situation, so take it for what it’s worth.

A certain amount of proper fit and comfort comes from the foot being used to the pressure points - even for broke in boots that are known to fit correctly. That discomfort on the top of the foot is a prime example. I’ve had periods of sitting behind a desk for 9 months doing no hiking or working out and lacing up trail runners to walk a few miles around a lake were uncomfortable. Working on a fire crew we had all sorts of blister issue because our high dollar fire boots weren’t being worn until we were headed to a fire. Simply requiring boots to be worn all week solved the problem. If you wear those boots around the house and going to the store, work, and watching tv for a few weeks, then they don’t fit comfortably when able to be laced up snug, then I’d consider jumping ship, but not before.

Having said that, when trying on new boots try on as many as possible. I don’t remember the brands, but some just aren’t shaped to my feet and I could feel the heal lift right away and consider it a deal killer.

rclouse79

WKR
My heels don't get along with most boots. When I was younger and dumber, I though it I just stuck with it the boots would break in eventually. Many uncomfortable miles and bloody heels later I finally gave up. Soloman Quests are all I have found so far that I can wear. I tried a pair of Crispi's a couple years ago because they felt good in the store. They were almost there, but I could tell I was not going to be able to make them work. Luckily, I was able to trade them with a Rokslider for a pair of Salomons.

gostovp

WKR
I'm kinda in the same boat....I have a pair of Hanwag Alaska GTX that I do like, took me about 60 miles to break them, but they are stiff and heavy, and my old legs can feel it after hiking miles in them. I've tried several different high end European mountain boots and just can't find anything that just blows me away...I've tried models from Kennetrek, several Crispi models (absolute worst stock insoles of any footwear ever..seriously....) , Schnees, Zamberlans, and probably some more I'm forgetting....
Went to Scheels the other day and they had the new Salomon Quest Trackers....which look to be the upper from the Salomon Quest Forces (which are 95% the same as the Salomon Quests 4's before the latest redesign) and the lower/midsole from the Salomon Quest Elements (which is a boot recommended in the latest boot videos from Steve at Exo) ...and I was really impressed with the fit and comfort for me....

Last edited: