When is a buck acceptable to shoot to preserve the deer herd? Should everybody be a trophy hunter? (Montana Rut thread carryover)

Harvey_NW

WKR
Classified Approved
If we are going to cut opportunity the first opportunity we should cut is NR opportunity, IMO.
I lived in MT growing up and still have family all over the state, so I've seen and feel the impacts brought up in this thread. HOWEVER, I find it ironic that MT residents are getting hosed by the outfitters, colluded politicians, and management policies in their own state, yet still grabbing pitchforks and rallying the troops to lynch them damned NR hunters.

I don't disagree with starting the cuts with the NR B tags/mule deer doe harvest, but as a now NR MT hunter I advocate for keeping all the moving parts into perspective.

WCB

WKR
I was born in Montana and have been hunting here since I could walk. I’ve killed many bucks in the 160 range and better, but unless you have access to private land your comment about residents shooting 160 plus bucks every year is asinine. I often hunt in Alaska. I don’t have any issue if Alaskans can and do regulate game and fisheries strongly in favor of residents there. We are all competing for the same resource. It doesn’t matter how much more the non-residents pay if the overall number of hunters is resulting in a lesser experience for the residents that live here year round. I have little empathy towards the non-residents that come “out west” one week a year and act entitled because of what they pay.
Strange that myself and 4 buddies (not always hunting together or even in remotely the same location) kill 160-170" bucks every year we get a tag. 100% on public property. Most of them in areas that everybody says all the public is "land locked", there are lower deer numbers historically, and guys avoid. Yeah you have to put some leg work into it but no way, as I said, a resident that puts the work in can't do it. Am I saying go anywhere in the state and do it just hunting a couple evening after work...absolutely not. But, I harp on guys in my own state that complain about not shooting big bucks and there are no big bucks left. They hunt 3 days a year if they don't shoot the first thing that walks by opening morning. They hunt the same spots every year in the same manner and expect different results. Sorry but that is how probably 90% of hunters are. Is it as easy as it was 20 yrs ago...no. Guys acting like MT is all forkies and small 3pts don't get out enough. I know MT residents that do this. Hunt the same public just outside of town and complain that they went out 13 times this year and never saw a good buck.

I can tell you 100% myself and the guys I hunt with feel ZERO entitlement because of what we pay. But there is also the resident guy that says screw the NRs at all costs then cry about price increase on their tag, blame NRs for killing small bucks then kill the same buck because they have to since there are no big bucks left...again because of NRs.

Two years ago a buddy and I (both NR's) were walking along a ridgeline in the dark and came across two other dudes (R's). We got to talking, talked for over an hour. At one point one of the guys starts complaining about all the NR's, "oh but you guys are cool." LOL.

bigsky2

Lil-Rokslider
Residents always want to blame NR for all of our issues with mule deer. Residents are just as guilty of our public land deer hunting going down the shitter. I’m to the point that I’d rather have a deer tag every couple years and have a quality hunt, rather than just having the opportunity to go on an armed hike every year like it is now. Blame who you want, the fact is Montana mule deer are in a world of hurt, and there’s no sign of things turning around without major changes.

KHNC

WKR
I was taught that one would want to leave the biggest bulls/bucks to spread their genes and focus on smaller animals. Sure, it'd be hard for any hunter to let a record buck/bull walk away, but I still believe that would be the best for the herd/population in the long run.

Maybe I'm biased, this thinking is mostly for moose, not sure if it applies to elk and deer but I don't see why it wouldn't.
Plus, younger animals have better tasting and tendering meat, imo.
should we kill off all the millenial men out there let all the GEN-X do the breeding from now on? Same concept. lol

Firestone

WKR
The one fear I have is that when fwp finally makes a change it's gonna be a blanket concept across the entire state. And in my opinion that's a horrible way to manage mule deer and hunting opportunities. The problems region 1 is facing is totally diffrent then region 7. herd dynamics, forage, predators, and hunter pressure could not be more different across the state. I believe they not only need to be managed on a region level but a district level would be even better.

Got an ideal just close the seasons for say five years to all hunting, resident and non-resident. I am a nonresident hunter and if I draw a tag, I shoot what I want period. Always busting on the nonresident hunters, were all hunters and if we don't stick together the lefty crowd will do it for us.

Harvey_NW

WKR
Classified Approved
Got an ideal just close the seasons for say five years to all hunting, resident and non-resident. I am a nonresident hunter and if I draw a tag, I shoot what I want period. Always busting on the nonresident hunters, were all hunters and if we don't stick together the lefty crowd will do it for us.
c00cc3b9e6d25ff3567777502d6db007.jpg

What it really comes down too I believe is hunter vs hunter or perhaps a bit of jealously as to what is harvested, too many big hunting tv shows that only kill really big bucks perhaps. This year during our home state white tail season (two weeks long) I hunted just about every day seen nice shooter bucks a lot and left them walk (I was after one specific deer) Finally killed a decent five point (eastern count) the last day of our late muzzle loading season, would of not shot him but I wanted to make some bologna. We all hunt for different reasons perhaps a record book deer head gracing your wall or perhaps a once in a lifetime western hunt or perhaps a deer to offset the grocery bill for a family. No one should judge another hunter for what they harvest. Like I said if we don't stick together the other side is going to stick it to us.

To me the harvest rate is not the A priority. To me lessening the pressure through common sense is the first priority. All we would need to do is raise our Combo license costs again or slightly increase resident prices to make it a non-issue.

The fact that we can get an elk, deer, bear, fishing, upland bird and 2 turkey tags for under 100$ is a joke.
I say this all the time. People will complain about tag prices but will pay more than double to put their kids into one soccer season, or they will spend that on a bar tab in a night. I'd vote to double it, or even triple it, if that meant less revenue reliance on NR tags and outfitters.
I am a carpenter by trade before anyone calls me "rich".
Plenty of folks leave the house with almost 3K in gear and clothes that would get made about 300$ for a sportsman's tag.

Nice bucks, better yet, nice memories!!. That is a big part of hunting, the memories!! you have to hunt for yourself and family and what makes you enjoy the experience. Getting on social media is a dead end to comparisons and unhappiness. Do what makes you happy. If someone says otherwise they're not in the right frame of mind. We are all at different stages of our hunting.