Votes: 2 6.1%
  • 0-2 hours before sunset

Votes: 6 18.2%
  • After sunset

Votes: 2 6.1%

• Total voters

stan_wa

WKR
what time of day do you glass up the most deer ?

All the books and experts talk about first and last light but I seem to find way more deer 1-2 hours after sunrise and 1-2 hours before sun set. Maybe it’s just a cascades/Washington thing .

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
In AZ, first/last light the animals are moving a lot more. But. many keep moving in the 1-2 hours.

For # of animals per minute, nothing beats first/last light.

It probably depends on the area. Another consideration is very few people are actually glassing mid day. That time just after sunrise and just before sunset are when you catch them moving to and from the feeding and bedding areas.

TaperPin

WKR
Depends. In my favorite areas, by volume of hooves, early morning finds the most deer out and headed to bedding areas. In evening, a close second, mostly does, fawns and young bucks start to come out. By far the most old deer have been seen mid day - either in beds, or while standing up to stretch, pee and lying back down, or sneaking away from someone. Shy nocturnal bucks might be anywhere, you just don’t usually see them during shooting hours.

Honestly, I don’t know how many areas have nocturnal bucks, but these can’t be the only places. The more I think something sneaky is all figured out, I watch an individual old deer, and it reminds me they are just trying to conserve energy - like an old dog.

KurtR

WKR
Depends on time of year and weather. If its cold and its the rut its an all day thing. If its warm and the rut its an all day thing. Warm pre rut early and late. If its cold and front moving in it can be later mid day. Also the moon plays in a big factor of when the deer are moving. Late season post rut with some snow its easiest to pattern when the deer are going to move

EdP

WKR
As a whitetail hunter, I have seen bucks most often at first and last light during the rut. Deer coming out to feed (bucks before and after rut and does anytime) seem to come out in the morning after it warms up a bit rather than first light. I don't see deer coming out to feed on vegetation covered in a heavy frost. Late in the season the deer tend to wait until last light to come out to feed, perhaps in response to hunting pressure.