When did sights become so expensive?

ztc92

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been out of the archery game for the past 10 years due to a very busy job but used to spend a ton of time shooting and upgrading archery gear. Now I’m hoping to get back to it now after a job change that allows more free time. I just recently went to my first 3-D shoot in a decade and had a great time using my old Elite Pulse from 2011.

I’ve been researching new bows over the past year and settled on an Elite Remedy as my perfect “new” bow, as I want easy drawing and very forgiving (something my pulse is not) for hunting, indoor league and 3-D. I just picked one up at a great price with a Vaportrail Pro-V rest already mounted, so now I’m going down the rabbit hole of new sights.

My old elite has a Spott-Hogg fixed 5-pin and while I’ve been happy with it overall, as others note, it’s very heavy and pins aren’t as bright as I’d like. Also interested in an adjustable sight to allow less total pins while still facilitating long range practice and 3-D shots.

This brings me to the title…when did sights get so expensive?!? My Spott-Hogg was like $150 and I thought that was outrageous but now most sights being recommended from BHG or Spott-Hogg are $300+. Even used it seems most go for $250.

Would love y’all’s thoughts on a more affordable option if it exists and if not, would be great to hear what justifies these crazy prices on newer sights that cost nearly as much as the bow itself.

blkqi

WKR
I have bought a few of the clearance sights from S&S Archery. He seems to put all his store returns up there and always has some discounted stock. Pretty sure the Rokslide member discount works on it too. Excellent shop with carefully curated inventory.

I hear ya on the costs for sure.

I have transferred my spot hog real deal .019 sight, ripcord rest, quiver and chubby doinker stabilizer from bow to bow due to the cost of things.

No way am I paying 300$ for a bow sight..,,it ain’t happening.

I only buy a new bow every 5-10 years or so.

rclouse79

WKR
My hunting partner is looking at switching from traditional back to a compound. It seems like if you are starting from scratch it would be pretty easy to spend 3k on a new bow and arrows with accessories. It makes me hope my bow lasts a long time.

Ho5tile1

WKR
Check out the redline bow sites bang for your buck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Z

ztc92

Lil-Rokslider
I hear ya on the costs for sure.

I have transferred my spot hog real deal .019 sight, ripcord rest, quiver and chubby doinker stabilizer from bow to bow due to the cost of things.

No way am I paying 300$ for a bow sight..,,it ain’t happening.

I only buy a new bow every 5-10 years or so.

I contemplated doing that but the pulse is set up so well and I shoot it so good as it sits that I really don’t want to mess with it and would prefer it just remain a back up bow that’s ready to go out of the case if I ever need it.

I have bought a few of the clearance sights from S&S Archery. He seems to put all his store returns up there and always has some discounted stock. Pretty sure the Rokslide member discount works on it too. Excellent shop with carefully curated inventory.

This is a great tip, I didn’t know about the clearance section on S&S, I’ll check it out, thank you!

Appreciate everyone else’s thoughts, I’m not opposed to buying something used on the classifieds but from what I’ve seen recently there’s hardly any discount to buying the higher end sights used as they seem to hold their value very well.

I don’t feel like I need all the new 3rd axis adjustment, dovetail mount, custom pin size etc. etc. features. I just want a solid 3-5 pin adjustable sight that won’t break the bank at $250+. Really wish I could go back in time and pick up what I want from a few years ago before all these “features” became standard.

Its as if I’m shopping for a Honda civic but the only things available are fancy Accuras…

sndmn11

WKR
Used Fast Eddie's are usually $200ish, that's a steal. I think mine has been on six different bows.

Alternatively, I see a lot of fully setup vows sell for a price that buying them for the rest and sight is still economical, to then turn around and sell the bare bow.

For instance, I have an Omnia setup that doesn't get shot, I'd bet if I listed it for $600 setup with a fast Eddie and trinity it wouldnt get as much interest as if I sold the bare bow for $400.

Just the way of the world… releases are the same way, especially hand held ones.

I remember in college I used to cycle through ~5 hand held releases and never paid over $70 for em used. Now they all seem to be around $150 used

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Luked

WKR
Stuff is expensive because we keep buying it so they can keep making them for us to buy them again.
Nothing any different than anything else anymore.

Erebor

Lil-Rokslider
Stuff is expensive because we keep buying it so they can keep making them for us to buy them again.
Nothing any different than anything else anymore.
Nevertheless prices are supposed to come down, They are going up or staying constant.

When did bows get so expensive?

Look at Montana Black Gold. They have some solid 3-5 pin sights that won’t break the bank. I’ve been using mine for about 12 years now.

Beendare

WKR
Inflation kills your purchasing power…it literally takes money out of your bank account you have worked years for.

There are building materials we buy for projects that are up over 100% in the last 3 years….thats why sights have gone up.

Buy a good quality SH sight and you will have it for decades. They will replace the fiber for a nominal fee.

Sled

WKR
Sights got expensive when people started paying more for them. The market wanted slider sights and they built them better. Some of the cheaper built sliders should be $125-150 max. Those $400 black gold sights are a real disappointment. They should be in the lower price range. A nice quality sight should go for $200-300 at the upper end. The UV sights have no justification for their price, other than somebody out there is paying for it. It's hard to beat the value of a fast eddie 2 pin. CBE and axcel used to have a pretty good value too but they've gone up and the quality has gone down.

So, in short, stop paying too much for your sights and the market will correct.